Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

Doing a little GIR analysis with the Pros:

From 110-200 I'm at 43% with the Pros, versus 42% for 2023 before the Pros. So a slight improvement overall, but that was pulled down by a few rounds out of the gate in the 30's.

Last 3 rounds out I'm at 51%, 56%, and 45% GIR with the Pros in this 110-200 range. So trending upwards compared to the average. Proximity is decreasing with most clubs. 8i it's increased a bit, but I had some really good shots with it last round out, with one hitting the flagstick. 6i and 7i are both about even, with the Pros having a slight edge.

Distance wise I was playing these about 1/2 a club shorter to start with, but some adjustments and they are playing right where I'm used to, playing off a 150 yard 8i.

Going to continue to monitor during 2024. Will more than likely make a shaft change before Spring hits. Just haven't gotten along with the DG Mid's as much as I want to. Going to something more familiar to see it I can get the shots in a tighter dispersion pattern left to right. Front to back has been really good, and I've even seen very good distance.

Doing a little GIR analysis with the Pros:

From 110-200 I'm at 43% with the Pros, versus 42% for 2023 before the Pros. So a slight improvement overall, but that was pulled down by a few rounds out of the gate in the 30's.

Last 3 rounds out I'm at 51%, 56%, and 45% GIR with the Pros in this 110-200 range. So trending upwards compared to the average. Proximity is decreasing with most clubs. 8i it's increased a bit, but I had some really good shots with it last round out, with one hitting the flagstick. 6i and 7i are both about even, with the Pros having a slight edge.

Distance wise I was playing these about 1/2 a club shorter to start with, but some adjustments and they are playing right where I'm used to, playing off a 150 yard 8i.

Going to continue to monitor during 2024. Will more than likely make a shaft change before Spring hits. Just haven't gotten along with the DG Mid's as much as I want to. Going to something more familiar to see it I can get the shots in a tighter dispersion pattern left to right. Front to back has been really good, and I've even seen very good distance.
Interested to see what shafts you go with

Interested to see what shafts you go with
I'll most likely go with a set of Nippon Modus3 tours i have in my old gamer set. Would love to give the Dart V's a go in the future, just not in the budget right now.

I'll most likely go with a set of Nippon Modus3 tours i have in my old gamer set. Would love to give the Dart V's a go in the future, just not in the budget right now.
If you are going to do it, don't settle when it comes to a shaft in these. You will always wonder what if, or wish you had what you really wanted. It's part of the reason I bit the bullet and went with the DARTs. I knew I wouldn't be happy otherwise, and I mentioned in the DART thread, it's gonna be hard to move me away from these shafts.

If you are going to do it, don't settle when it comes to a shaft in these. You will always wonder what if, or wish you had what you really wanted. It's part of the reason I bit the bullet and went with the DARTs. I knew I wouldn't be happy otherwise, and I mentioned in the DART thread, it's gonna be hard to move me away from these shafts.
I've never hit the Dart, so I'd need to start there. But they look amazing, and reading through that thread they seem to perform great for a lot of golfers.

I've never hit the Dart, so I'd need to start there. But they look amazing, and reading through that thread they seem to perform great for a lot of golfers.
I'm not trying to persuade you to get the DART (although its the shiznit, lol), but I was just stating in general.

I'm not trying to persuade you to get the DART (although its the shiznit, lol), but I was just stating in general.
And I appreciate it. Definitely on my mind trying to find the best fit.

I got fit into the tour issue 16* UT, and CBs 4-10 with MMT 105 TX. So for the limited time I've had with these I'm really digging them. I can't wait to compare them side be side to my JPX 923 tours. But going through the fitting I told him what I was playing and that I definitely didn't want steel shafts in any way. They feel so solid and pure, just so good. From what I remember it's almost light and crisp but also that soft thuddy pure feeling lol, it's a great feeling. On the course I only hit 3 maybe 4 different irons besides the wedges, mostly the 10 iron, a 6, 4, and 8 I think out of a bunker. The shorter irons are target seekers, aim and shoot situations. The 2 par 3s where I hit 10 and the approach in on a par 4 it was very very accurate. The 6 and the 4 I might need to adjust the lie on them, they are all bent 1 flat. The 6 went off to the right on one and on 17 par 3 the 4 iron went really far right. I have my lie angle set up differently on my other irons, they are flat 8-60 from .5 to almost 2. My 6, 5, and 4 are bent up, from .5 to 1.5, so I might need to adjust the higher irons.

I'm super excited to game these and can't wait to give some more info about them.

I didn’t get ball speed during the fitting. Definitely will have that for everyone once I have the opportunity to get them in the LM.
Did you notice a larger gap between where you split your set?

I got fit into the tour issue 16* UT, and CBs 4-10 with MMT 105 TX. So for the limited time I've had with these I'm really digging them. I can't wait to compare them side be side to my JPX 923 tours. But going through the fitting I told him what I was playing and that I definitely didn't want steel shafts in any way. They feel so solid and pure, just so good. From what I remember it's almost light and crisp but also that soft thuddy pure feeling lol, it's a great feeling. On the course I only hit 3 maybe 4 different irons besides the wedges, mostly the 10 iron, a 6, 4, and 8 I think out of a bunker. The shorter irons are target seekers, aim and shoot situations. The 2 par 3s where I hit 10 and the approach in on a par 4 it was very very accurate. The 6 and the 4 I might need to adjust the lie on them, they are all bent 1 flat. The 6 went off to the right on one and on 17 par 3 the 4 iron went really far right. I have my lie angle set up differently on my other irons, they are flat 8-60 from .5 to almost 2. My 6, 5, and 4 are bent up, from .5 to 1.5, so I might need to adjust the higher irons.

I'm super excited to game these and can't wait to give some more info about them.
Had you played MMT shafts prior? Getting ready for my first round later today with MMT through the whole set and am excited (had played wedges in the 105 TX for the last year).

Had you played MMT shafts prior? Getting ready for my first round later today with MMT through the whole set and am excited (had played wedges in the 105 TX for the last year).
I haven't, I'm coming from playing LA 120 L-Series. I was worried about the 105 weight until the fitter told me they actually weigh 113. But they performed and felt really great. I think they even have a slightly lower flight compared to the LAs.

Saw in your previous comment that you were worried about the weight, don't be. Best thing I can tell you is if you're a swing weight guy and need to feel where the club head is like me, and if they are built to say D3 where you like, then don't think about it and just swing. Once I got over the mental hurdle of having a lighter build compared to when I had X100, it was great and I could just swing my swing.

I haven't, I'm coming from playing LA 120 L-Series. I was worried about the 105 weight until the fitter told me they actually weigh 113. But they performed and felt really great. I think they even have a slightly lower flight compared to the LAs.

Saw in your previous comment that you were worried about the weight, don't be. Best thing I can tell you is if you're a swing weight guy and need to feel where the club head is like me, and if they are built to say D3 where you like, then don't think about it and just swing. Once I got over the mental hurdle of having a lighter build compared to when I had X100, it was great and I could just swing my swing.
Thanks, didn’t realize they actually played at 113 so less of a delta for sure. Really excited to get them to the range and in play today.

Received a box from McLovin. We will be going from box to tee it seems!
really looking forward to hearing what you think!!!

Welcome TO Apex Pro's....These feel so good with my Recoil Dart !05's in them. The ball just JUMPs off the face. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get to the range

And a follow up, what are you most excited to test out on the Pros?

Turf interaction…let’s talk about this for a bit.

In my two rounds I noticed that with the Apex Pro the club just glided through the turf. With other irons I will tend to get lazy and see my irons dig either before the ball or after contact. With the Pro’s I did not see much or any of a digging effect at The Hideaway.

The Dynamic Sole Design just works from lies in the short stuff and even those lies where you find your ball nestled in the long stuff.

Needed the 10i just now, or that’s what I’m gonna say.

Turf interaction…let’s talk about this for a bit.

In my two rounds I noticed that with the Apex Pro the club just glided through the turf. With other irons I will tend to get lazy and see my irons dig either before the ball or after contact. With the Pro’s I did not see much or any of a digging effect at The Hideaway.

The Dynamic Sole Design just works from lies in the short stuff and even those lies where you find your ball nestled in the long stuff.
I struggled with it in the short irons in the beginning. But some alignment adjustment have straighten that out. I agree, the Pros do get thru the turf well, from top to bottom of the bag. The only issues I have are when I get lazy on wet conditions and the mud grabs the club, but that's a problem I have with all clubs.

Long Irons last round out were especially good. I can get thru the ball, thru the turf, and really get some speed and elevation behind these shots.

After looking at a bunch of irons the other day at Golf Galaxy, I've really come to appreciate the more satin appearance of irons at address. The Apex Pro does this satin finish really, really well.

Back