Votes: 43 76.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In the Callaway MD4 thread today, @cobrax51 brought up how he struggled with a few bunkers that consisted of wet sand last week.

Personally, I love wet sand. There just seems to be less surprises at impact and the ball just seems to come out so smooth. Did a few searches and found JB's Bunkers - Your Preference and Mr. Tadashi's response in Wet compacted bunkers with a ton of good information in there about said topic.

So his comment got me to thinking what you all in the current THP world out there prefer: wet sand or dry sand? Do you play them differently at all?

Give me sand that is a bit wet on the top layer and I'm good.

Dry bunkers typically cause less of a problem for me, and I definitely have more confidence out of them. I feel like I can get out of wet bunkers, but the risk of fliers increases. To me, the former is more predictable, so aside from choosing not to be in a bunker in the first place, if I had to choose, I'd play out of dry bunkers 100% of the time.

I'm a dry kind of guy. Nothing about a wet bunker gives me confidence to get it out and on to the green.

Wet sand=nasty fried eggs. Give me dry sand all day.

Wet sand=nasty fried eggs. Give me dry sand all day.

I'm the opposite, I see more fried egg lies in soft sand. Really for me it depends are how deep the sand is. I don't do well in soft sand that runs deep and heavy.

Bunkers - Wet or Dry

I feel like I would have to go with dry here, solely because my bunker game is still developing and it presents less variables for me. Maybe when I grow up to be like big time my opinion will change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put me in the dry sand camp. Wet sand makes me way more apprehensive

Dry sand greenside

wet in the fairway trap so I can "pick" the ball

In the Callaway MD4 thread today, @cobrax51 brought up how he struggled with a few bunkers that consisted of wet sand last week.

Personally, I love wet sand. There just seems to be less surprises at impact and the ball just seems to come out so smooth. Did a few searches and found JB's Bunkers - Your Preference and Mr. Tadashi's response in Wet compacted bunkers with a ton of good information in there about said topic.

So his comment got me to thinking what you all in the current THP world out there prefer: wet sand or dry sand? Do you play them differently at all?
Dry sand for me.

Fly too many when it's wet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Soft, deep, and fluffy.

Definitely dry. Want to know I can go down and get it cleanly without the fear of the club bouncing on the wet sand into the ball.

For some reason I've always found it easier to play out of wet, more of a regular shot for me.

It's probably mostly a function of what I wind up playing most often, but I'm in the Wet Sand camp.

With dry sand you have to pay much closer attention to the depth and texture. When the sand is wet, as long as you keep your speed up through the ball, I don't feel like there are as many variables.

I'm the opposite, I see more fried egg lies in soft sand. Really for me it depends are how deep the sand is. I don't do well in soft sand that runs deep and heavy.

Maybe I'm a bit confused on the consistency of the sand, but I will take more fried eggs in dry sand than fewer nasty in wet sand. I don't mind some moisture on top, but I don't want to have to take a driver swing to get the ball to move 5 feet. Or maybe it's just that my experiences with wet sand has really been wet mud or something.

I'm worried less about wet or dry and more about how packed/hard they are.

This right here works just fine!!

yup, and I dont mean soaking wet (cause then it just flat sucks), but rather just a little moist

For those of you who do succeed in wet bunkers, what is the thought process? With the fluff/dry I can barely grip the club and it gets out fine.

I'm reading peoples responses of picking it clean and blading it across the green but since that can easily happen I hit behind the ball and it barely reaches the lip and rolls right back down to my feet. Not saying I've never got out of a wet greenside bunker but the comfort isn't nearly the same. More like a hack of a swing and not smooth at all.

I think wet sand is much more predictable!

I'm just getting used to bunkers with sand. I did love me some fluffy beach sand from Pensacola. You could actually open up the face and get under the ball, even if it was a little plugged.

It depends really on what kind of sand you are playing on. The white soft sand that are in a majority of "nice" courses, that tend to be fluffy lies or fried egg lies primarily. The harder, more compact sand tends to pop out of it's pitch mark & gives you a pretty clean lie. If courses would get uniform & all use the same sand, we wouldn't have an issue. But you have to learn to "manufacture" shots when you play in a variety of sand. More bounce is needed in the softer sand while in harder sand, less bounce so you don't end up skulling it across the green. So to answer the OP's question, I prefer harder more compact sand. Especially out of fairway bunkers ... it makes it easier to pick the ball clean.

Well more than anything I like to know the bunker characteristics that I'm playing. If they're soft and fluffy, if it's heavy sand, if there's hard pan under a couple of inches of sand etc. But once I know them I am much more confident with just a little moisture in the bunkers. Not talking soaked and wet/heavy sand. But just a little is perfect.

Back