Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
I figured we could start a new thread for these beauties. Today I received a package with my Morgan Cup 2.0 fairway woods and hybrids courtesy of our friends at Bridgestone Golf. Here are some pics. Video is uploading and will be posted shortly.

2a3b92e4.jpg

170748a1.jpg

d3d9be0a.jpg

ffef57dd.jpg

41dd29fe.jpg

caa71414.jpg

Originally my plan was to go get 9 holes in while my daughters were at dance class but the course was packed with ladies league and another league that just started Tuesday night play. I opted instead for a huge bag of balls and some good old driving range time.

After warming up with iron shots I started with the 4h and immediately found out that these were nothing like what I expected. I was waiting for a muted sound and feel like the J40 driver but this was not to be the case. I was surprised with the high pitched sound, not a hollow sounding high pitch but a wonderful sounding higher pitch that immediately told me that I had hit my first shot solid. The ball flight was high and very tight. Definitely the kind of a shot you'd hope for trying to hold a green from around 205. I was hitting it closer to 215 but I was dead downwind (15 mph).

Next I pulled the 18 degree 5 wood. My original thought was this would be a perfect replacement distance wise to my 18 degree hybrid but I'm telling you right now that's not the case. The reason is I can already tell you that I'll hit the 5 wood quite a bit longer than my old hybrid. Everything was nice and high with another very tight shot dispersion. I love the footprint of the fairway woods, a little bigger but not too deep to make you feel like you can't get the ball in the air. I hit this off the turf only and had no issues getting it up in the air at all.

Last was the 14 degree 3+. I hit this both off the tee and off the turf, I smoked it off the tee getting a couple balls to bounce past the 250 marker (again dead downwind). Off the turf I didn't have quite as much success as the others but still not too shabby by any means. I found that I caught the ball a little heavier off the turf but it still went nice and straight, just probably couldn't trust it with a long carry until I get more work in with it. Again I love the footprint of this fairway wood, it's got a nice wide body but just not overly deep but not real shallow either.

Both fairway woods shared the same sound as the hybrid, just completely different than the driver which was a surprise to me but definitely a welcome surprise. There is nothing muted about these clubs, the feel is stellar and the ease of executing the shots (so far) seems to be perfect. I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of the hybird and fairway woods but man am I happy so far. I was just telling fellow Bridgestone staffer One-T yesterday that I really came around on hybrids late and once I did I was very picky as to what I liked and didn't like. I found that I had the most success with more of a little fairway wood looking hybrid and the J40 definitely has a bit of that but not as much as other hybrids on the market so honestly I was just not sure but after my first night with it I am real excited about this club.

I think these fairway woods and hybrid complete my bag to a T.

Thanks so much Bridgestone Golf and THP. Now I have hit everything from the J40 lineup and I cannot say enough positive things about all of it. What an amazing line up!

Nice sticks, P4B!

Very nice Jake. Is it me or does the 4th picture look like the crown comes really far down the face. Looks like idiot mark central

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Great looking clubs. I am going to hit the Bridgestone irons on Friday at a nearby demo day!

Wow, those look awesome Jake. Great feedback too.

Very nice Jake. Is it me or does the 4th picture look like the crown comes really far down the face. Looks like idiot mark central

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I redid the pics so I'm not sure if the 4th pic is still the same or not but I see what you're saying. I didn't notice it until you said that. Now nobody gets to touch my FW's and hybrid either! :D

Nice unboxing vid jake. Looking forward to seeing you hit these bad boys this weekend. Really curious about the hybrid.

Nice unboxing vid jake. Looking forward to seeing you hit these bad boys this weekend. Really curious about the hybrid.
You are definitely welcome to hit any and all of it my man. That hybrid is going to improve my scores for sure, just eliminating that gap I have is going to be great.

Nice review Jake. I have the same clubs along with the 3 hybrid and they just hit soooo nice. The hybrids hit nice and straight and a real confidence booster. They definetly will improve your game. The difference in sound from the J40 driver is the titanium face vs. stainless steel on the fairways and hybrids. Can't wait to hear your further comments as you get to put them in play. You're gonna love 'em.

Thanks for starting this thread Jake and great job on the initial thoughts. High shots with a tight dispersion is what I like to see out of the gate with a FW wood.

Curious if you would see immediate better success with the 4W instead of the 3W. I went with the 4W because of the apprehension of the 14* degree off of the deck.

Looking forward to checking these out in person in a few days!

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Great video and initial impressions! I've got the 21* hybrid and love it, the feel is amazing of the face. Loving Bridgestone right now. Good luck with your new setup.

great clubs Jake....that hybrid looks really easy to line up and hit

Those things are ridiculously beautiful. Bridgestone golf is 1 of the 2 biggest reasons I hate being left handed.

If you want to hit their stuff Dev you could learn to hit righty like the switch hitters in babseball? the sexiness of those clubs should tempt you into trying that lol

Those things are ridiculously beautiful. Bridgestone golf is 1 of the 2 biggest reasons I hate being left handed.

If you want to hit their stuff Dev you could learn to hit righty like the switch hitters in babseball? the sexiness of those clubs should tempt you into trying that lol

I have tried plenty of times. Sometimes with the way my LH swing is, I might as well just turn around. Couldnt hurt..haha But seriously, I love the looks of all the Bridgestone equipment.

Wow, I really like the looks of these. Simple, clean, yet they look like will crush a ball. I can't wait to hear more about them.

Those clubs look great Jake, definitely going to catch some eyes at the course.

Very nice Jake! You are a lucky man. I hope mine show up soon. Gorgeous!!!

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Thanks for starting this thread Jake and great job on the initial thoughts. High shots with a tight dispersion is what I like to see out of the gate with a FW wood.

Curious if you would see immediate better success with the 4W instead of the 3W. I went with the 4W because of the apprehension of the 14* degree off of the deck.

Looking forward to checking these out in person in a few days!

Tappin' from the iPhone!
I'll be honest and say that I don't expect to hit the 14* off the deck TOO often. Unless it becomes apparent that it is ridiculously easy to do. So far I could tell a significant difference between the 3+ and 5 wood off the deck. There will be times I'm sure but more often than not I'm hoping this becomes my go to club off the tee on a tight hole.

Nice video P4B. Love how these look so much bigger at address than most other woods.

NIce to hear about the 3+ I'm really interested in that club. I hope there is a 3+ at the demo day. I just watched a brand new one go off on ebay for like 100 bucks. Just not sure how big the head really is. And I do hit my 3-wood off the deck, so this is something I want to know about as well.

Nice video Jake. I am looking forward to getting my hands on the hybrids myself. I have actually been playing the 3+ for a month or so and find it to be a very versatile club.

Those are some great pics. I like how the sole graphic is subtle and not too obnoxious. Gently screams a touch of old professionalism & class to me. I hope they treat you guys well.

Back