Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Order sent to Blind9!

J40 DPC 5-PW
KBS Tour stiff shafts
+1 upright
+1 strong
Tour velvet grips +1 wrap

BOOM!

Thanks TC! Just for my need for even more education I will ask another question. I was fitted to +1/2in length, stiff (5.5, KBS stiff, DGsl- I think, not the s300 130 gm). If I soft step, will the weight of the shaft change in each? I think I understand, but the "+1/2" in length gets me. Will they even need to trim to +1/2 over standard if I soft step? I think that soft stepping may add a half inch already, however, I know I need help wrapping my head around it.

Damn, I research way too much... I need to STFU and spend some cash..

Thanks! Wallet just got a lot lighter but I'm pretty excited.

I don't know if I'm seeing any real glaring differences. I remember thinking the the J40's were a little heavy, but for some reason with these they don't feel it, but it's odd since the shafts weigh the same. So we will chalk that up to mental. Still getting a mid-high ball flight from them which is nice. Performance wise, I'm not sure that the PX flighted and the KBS Tour's play all that different in these irons, judging by the naked eye. I do like the feel better with the KBS over the PX, but that is just personal preference. It will be good to compare them side by side in a few weeks.

Thanks dean, I only ask because I should have mine next week with KBS tour stiffs. I appreciate the response

Thanks dean, I only ask because I should have mine next week with KBS tour stiffs. I appreciate the response

Excited to hear what you think when you get yours Freddie, since I'll have mine a week or two after you.

Order sent to Blind9!

J40 DPC 5-PW
KBS Tour stiff shafts
+1 upright
+1 strong
Tour velvet grips +1 wrap

BOOM!

boy do I like that order a lot. Congrats on pulling the trigger. You will have a very similar setup to mine when it comes to shaft and loft.

Very cool bro, I thought you might go
That direction

boy do I like that order a lot. Congrats on pulling the trigger. You will have a very similar setup to mine when it comes to shaft and loft.

Thanks guys. Just couldn't help it. No matter how hard I tried to talk myself into other things I just always came back to the DPC's. I think these could be game changers for me.

I think you will really enjoy that combo.

Thanks guys. Just couldn't help it. No matter how hard I tried to talk myself into other things I just always came back to the DPC's. I think these could be game changers for me.

I think you might be right. They really are a great set of irons. I can't wait for both of you guys to get them in and hear what your thoughts are on them.

Meh, they ain't no 588's but I suppose it's better than than choosing something from a company not involved in the MC.

Meh, they ain't no 588's but I suppose it's better than than choosing something from a company not involved in the MC.

Haha, dude it was a tough decision. I'm still rockin 588 wedges and Mashie hybrids/FW. If the 588 irons were the same price as DPCs I would've just flipped a coin, honestly.

Haha, dude it was a tough decision. I'm still rockin 588 wedges and Mashie hybrids/FW. If the 588 irons were the same price as DPCs I would've just flipped a coin, honestly.

Just playing with you. Never come in the 588 thread again though! Just kidding. You made a good purchase and I'm sure the B9 price was hard to pass up.

Just playing with you. Never come in the 588 thread again though! Just kidding. You made a good purchase and I'm sure the B9 price was hard to pass up.

Haha! It was pretty hard to say no to!

I want these.. Just kidding glad to see the live they are getting can't wait to hit these

You made the right decision. Congrats on the buy, you will love 'em.

You made the right decision. Congrats on the buy, you will love 'em.

These put those 588's to shame. Lefties just don't understand

These put those 588's to shame. Lefties just don't understand
Hehe. I love my DPCs, I wish they had a left handed demo so TC could see how sweet they really are.

Hehe. I love my DPCs, I wish they had a left handed demo so TC could see how sweet they really are.

Or just learn to hit right handed!

I'm good. Once you see me hit 588's you'll wish you had them instead :)

I'm good. Once you see me hit 588's you'll wish you had them instead :)

I could probably watch you hit anything and wish I had it lol. When you swing like you do anything looks damn good compared to my attempts at golf

I've hit the J40 DPC's. Really nice irons buuut check the sig...

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Okay guys. Sorry I haven't been in here lately. I have had a lot going on with taking my daughter home and only having them a little over a week. But I have played like 6 rounds with them now. It seems as if I'm starting to shoot at the green more with these. With the graphite shafts being darn right perfect for me. I know now that I made the wrong decision on shafts when I got my TM MB's. They are just too stiff for my weak swing. Now that I have the right shaft I know. The DPC's are just absolutely gorgeous. And paired with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts they are breath taking to look at. Ask any of the THPer's that have had a chance to see mine since receiving them. They will all agree I'm sure.

I don't seem to have to many shots that I just hit terrible with these. It's like I may hit one fat now and then but that's about it. Not toppies at all! I have definitely gained some distance with these irons over the TM MB's. And I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shaft in the MB's vs my swing speed. With the MB's I seem to hit a PW-110, 9i-125, 8i-40, 7i-150, 6i-160, 5i-170. With the DPC's I get close to a club and a half difference in my opinion and swinging the club about 3/4th's and hard. My PW will now go 125 with an easwy swing. 9i I have hit 140 a bunch of times. 8i is about 155 now. 7i-165ish, 6i- 170, and 5i I seem to actually be hitting more since I don't spray my shots any more.

Oh yeah spraying my shots. With my MB's it seems as if I have to swing so hard that I hardly ever hit exactly were I'm aiming. Sure I went in the general vicinty but not like I am now. I am actually going at flags! Before I would aim at them and then swing. Every once in a while I would hit it dead on line but not as often as I should have. That has definitely changed since receiving the DPC's. They are definitely forgiving. Coming from the small face MB's, I don't really have a problem hitting the center of the face. I got a ton of practice at that with the MB's. lol I'm not saying on every shot I hit the dead center of the face of my irons. But it's not far off. I haven't hit any of these off the toe at all. Maybe because the toe is a lot further from the shaft than the MB's... LOL My miss is hitting it fat. I haven't bladed to many either. Now that I think about it maybe 3 balls were bladed. I'm really gaining confidence over the ball with my irons now. Which is helping me invision my shots more and actually hit the shot I was invisioning.

I'm loving the higher flight that I get the PX 5.5 graphites. They easily tower over the DG S300 that are in my MB's. But that could be, as I've mentioned before, because my swing isn't strong enough for them. The PX shafts are a lot like the other PX shafts that I have in my woods. I was worried a little when I ordered the graphites but I'm totally confident in my choice being correct! I haven't tried any rounds with just playing irons like the others here have. But that is something I plan on doing.

Bridgestone you have winner's in the DPC's. If they can make me hit the ball better. They can help anyone! I can't to show you at the MC what I'm talking about... As long as my nerves don't get the best of me... LOL

Nice update bullfrog! I am not surprised to see that you have gained some distance with these. With the larger heads and more forgiveness heel to toe I have no doubt that you are catching more of the sweet spot on the face than you were previously. I really do think that only good things can come from having clubs where a smooth swing delivers the results you want rather than having to go after it to maximize the results as you eluded to doing with your MB's.

I am definitely wanting to take a few swings with those graphite shafts and see how they compare to their steel counterparts.

A SGI iron badged as a GE iron? Many people hate using labels on clubs but it's how some others relate to them. For the sake of labels, this is how I feel about my J40 DPC's.

They have a very classic look, clean lines, and just a fantastic looking club whether at address or in the bag.

For clarification, I am not a worker of the ball - I try to hit it straight at whatever my target is so you will not see me commenting on workability. I am also not a big feel person, I can feel if I hit it thin or off the toe, etc - but I will not say that something feels buttery smooth. I may use the term harsh if it is really cold outside and I hit one of those shots where it hurts your hands as the shaft is vibrating.

These are not SGI's in the sense of distance. They are traditionally lofted clubs.

As a Bridgestone staffer for the Morgan Cup, I had the option of these or the cavity backs. Personally, I know that I need just about as much forgiveness as I can get as I am not a great ball striker although I am improving. So, in this little write up, I want to focus on forgiveness. I need it and I am getting it.

Approximately 5 months ago when I first got my hands on these I was hitting a good portion of my iron shots fat. What I immediately noticed with these was a superb turf interaction. Even if I came in 1 inch behind the ball, the leading edge of the club would hit the ground but then worked horizontally towards the ball instead of vertically. What this did was allowed the face of iron to still get to the ball with a minimal loss of distance rather than digging vertically and having a 1/2 inch of turf between the club and the ball and only traveling half of the intended yardage. I was immediately sold on these based on the turf interaction. To today......

Today, I have corrected some things with the steepness of my swing and rarely see fat shots. Do I hit it perfect? Absolutely not. I still have a miss and it is off of the toe, I see this on every club on a regular basis except the driver and putter. This is where I am even more impressed with the forgiveness factor of these. Instead of summarizing, I would like to highlight a few shots that I have seen the last few days:

6 iron from 168 yards. Good contact but towards the right side of the grooves. Ball ends up pin high 8 yards left of the green approximately 35 feet from the flag.
5 iron from 179 yards. Hit the ground first AND off of the toe. Ball ends up 15 yards short of the green but still in line with the right edge of the green.

This next one blew me away....from Tuesday night.

9 iron from 116 yards. Par 3 with the flag in front and into a 10-15 MPH wind. Typically a PW but went to the 9I because of the wind. Clean at impact but could feel it off of the toe. Ball ended up 4 yards short of the green and 10 yards short of the flag. I went to look at the club and saw the ball mark on the face: 1/4 of the ball was on the right edge of the grooves and 3/4 of the ball was on the smooth area between the grooves and toe of the club. This was almost a dead shank but I ended up with a respectable opportunity to get a par after a very, very poor swing.

With all that said, I am still blown away by the forgiveness that I see in these as they do not *look* like a club that would offer as much as they do. I love these more every time I play with them and am so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to play them and see just how much they can help my game. These will be in the bag for a LONG time to come.

Back