Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

man I really need to find out my SS lol, I really dont know, I would guess between 100-105 give or take, my normal distances are 250-260 with driver with some longer and of course some shorter. I really cant answer that second one, I have no idea lol

This discussion has really got me thinking about the tech behind the Heavy Driver. I find my better shots come with an easier swing, but when I really try to get into one, I have mixed results. Granted, a lot of that has to do with my swing, not the Heavy Wood. Interesting.

This discussion has really got me thinking about the tech behind the Heavy Driver. I find my better shots come with an easier swing, but when I really try to get into one, I have mixed results. Granted, a lot of that has to do with my swing, not the Heavy Wood. Interesting.

I will give you a example of me really going after one with the Heavy Wood and my Driver, on Saturday before my round I was on the range and really started going after some with the Heavy Wood and was just crushing them, high and straight with about 7/10 being good shots and playable. I pulled my driver out and started hitting some and with the last 5 balls I really went after them, big turn and trying to swing faster(not harder) and the results were horrible, only 1/5 would of been playable and that one was still off line a little. There is just something with the driver and me that when I really try to go after it I top it, push it way right, low snap hook it etc. Im talking about all out not just trying to give it a little extra ooomph. IMO the backweighting has something to do with that.

Update:
General Range practice
Boccieri Heavy 3w
46 Degrees and sunny
Winds from the NE at 5mph

I went out this afternoon and hit some rocks with the BGHW, which might be the last chance I get till January. The courses are closing fast here, and the last one closes on Sunday. The Boccieri 3w performed well again today, mostly straight with a couple of pulls mixed in, and one thinned shot. 8 out of 10 shots would have been playable on the course. Distance was noticeably shorter, but that's due to the cooler temps. I couldn't hit one past 200yds with the BGHW today if I threw my back out trying, couldn't hit a drive past 225 carry either. I hope my swing holds up during the off season. I thought I had a winter practice spot lined up but they don't open the heated shed till January, so I'll have to hang on till then. Hopefully I can squeeze something in on Saturday.

Update:
General Range practice
Boccieri Heavy 3w
46 Degrees and sunny
Winds from the NE at 5mph

I went out this afternoon and hit some rocks with the BGHW, which might be the last chance I get till January. The courses are closing fast here, and the last one closes on Sunday. The Boccieri 3w performed well again today, mostly straight with a couple of pulls mixed in, and one thinned shot. 8 out of 10 shots would have been playable on the course. Distance was noticeably shorter, but that's due to the cooler temps. I couldn't hit one past 200yds with the BGHW today if I threw my back out trying, couldn't hit a drive past 225 carry either. I hope my swing holds up during the off season. I thought I had a winter practice spot lined up but they don't open the heated shed till January, so I'll have to hang on till then. Hopefully I can squeeze something in on Saturday.

I hear ya BBB, its quickly getting colder here as well, highs this weekend are only 50* and if you add any wind to that its much colder. I still play in it but hey its a lot tougher

We have snow on the ground here so i am on the bench for a bit. they say it is supposed to be nice this weekend but we will see what actually happens. I am looking forwardto getting back out and having an update for this thread.

Man, this thread is depressing me now. You guys have done an exceptional job so far and I hope you can get out on the course sooner than later!

Man, this thread is depressing me now. You guys have done an exceptional job so far and I hope you can get out on the course sooner than later!

Between the snowy weather keeping people off the course, and now the winter is coming thread, it's starting to depress me, and it was in the high 80s here today.

Thanks Hawk, I hope we at least get another 30 days or so of comfortable playing weather, I would be thrilled if that happened! I am comfortable in anything 40* up for golf and can stand subzero but not for golf lol. When its in the 30's golfing just plain hurts your hands and body.
Between the snowy weather keeping people off the course, and now the winter is coming thread, it's starting to depress me, and it was in the high 80s here today.
I heard them on the news talking about possible flurries next week :( As long as its in the morning and then warms up to about 50* im ok with that. I just know golf is about done for the year and that makes me want to crawl in a hole and hibernate haha

I'll go until it snows. It does start to suck in the 30's though!

Man, hearing ya'll talk about courses closing for the winter makes me really sad. Am I the only warm weather BGHW tester? (I won't talk about the 75° day we had here in Los Angeles, which oddly enough matched the high temp in the Bay area where I started my day.)

As for killing the BGHW vs. Driver - I still haven't figured out how to do this without ruining my tempo. I can swing up to about 85/90% with good tempo and results. However as soon as I try to step on it above that, all kinds of weird stuff starts happening to me. Over-the-top, face open, face closed, out-to-in, ugh. Heck, until the BGHW, I had no confidence at all with my driver. Hopefully tomorrow I'll at least get some range time and work the kinks out of my back after the 700+ miles I've driven since Monday.

Not trying to bum you guys out, that's just the way it is in the north woods. I don't mind the cooler temperatures so much, and would play longer if I could. Playing golf here after Sunday would get pretty expensive though, trespassing fines and all.
I guess the course owners here want to get take anything that needs doing before the snows set in, and then take off to Florida and Arizona. It seems like they all head south for the winter, I would too if I could.

I just know golf is about done for the year and that makes me want to crawl in a hole and hibernate haha

haha, I know what you mean 10yd! Although for me it's worse in the early "spring" when I really start getting the urge to play, but instead of golfing I'm still shoveling snow in May.

Not trying to bum you guys out

Nah, BBB, I'm just hoping for that eternal golf season for everyone. :)

Edit: Yeah, that could be misconstrued...not exactly what I meant. LOL.

Hit the range today and hit the Heavy Wood fantastic once again. I am playing in the morning so I will have a pretty good update to come. It was only 47* while I was on range and the Heavy Wood actually had a totally different feel to it, it was a much harsher feel, not harsh as in hurt your hands or shock your hands and arms just a much harder feel than usual.

I played 18 this morning and played ok but hit the Heavy Wood the best I have to date, ended up with a 81 but had numerous outstanding shots with the Heavy Wood including almost a hole in one. I will get my update together later on this evening.

I played 18 this morning and played ok but hit the Heavy Wood the best I have to date, ended up with a 81 but had numerous outstanding shots with the Heavy Wood including almost a hole in one. I will get my update together later on this evening.

Glad to hear that you are still out there playing and hitting the Boccieri well. We still have snow on the ground out here but should be gone in a day or two I hope.

Glad to hear that you are still out there playing and hitting the Boccieri well. We still have snow on the ground out here but should be gone in a day or two I hope.

Sorry guys I got a little side tracked I will get my update up today.

10-29-11 On Course Update

10-29-11 On Course Update

Date- 10-29-11
Weather- 45-50* with about a 15mph wind and cloudy/spotty sun
Testing Club- Boccieri Heavy 5 Wood
Purpose- Overall Performance
Ball Used- Callaway Tour iZ & Taylormade Penta

Hey everybody I got a little side tracked last night so I am doing my update now, I played 18 yesterday and had a ok round but had my best day to date with the Heavy Wood! I arrived at the course a hour early and grabbed 2 large buckets and hit the range, I immediately pulled the Heavy Wood out and ball after ball I hit dead straight with a nice mid/high trajectory about 210-215 yards carry and rolled out to about 220. Out of almost the entire first bucket I only hit 2 shots with the Heavy Wood I was not happy with, just pulled them left. This usually carries over to my irons and the rest of my clubs but it didnt this day, I was still hitting my new irons off the toe more than I would like, still straight though. Now on to the course.

Shot 1- Short Par 4 dogleg left 295 yards with a lot of trees left and right and if you go through the fairway there are even more trees. The wind on this shot was coming from right to left and with my stock draw that is not a good thing. I got up to the tee box and was thinking a little fade into the wind would be perfect for this shot today, I set up with a open stance with the clubface aiming straight down the middle of the fairway and put a nice smooth swing on it along my shoulder and feet line and hit a beautiful baby fade right against the wind that left me dead center of the fairway just passed the dogleg which is around 205-210 yards, I was thrilled with this shot to be honest, I dont try to work the ball hardly ever but I did this time and the Heavy Wood was up to the task! I made par on this hole.

Shot 2- This was by far the best shot of the day with the Heavy Wood, my dad and I thought I hit a hole in one. Par 3 200 yards straight into the wind so it was playing around 215 or so. All I wanted to do with this shot was put it on the green since this hole always makes me put up a big number if I miss the green, I setup and hit my normal high draw and it was tracking dead at the flag, we see it land about 5 feet in front of the pin and it disappears, we thought it went in, we get up to the green and see my ball about 8 feet directly behind the flag stick, we think it lipped out since the green slopes a little from right to left and my ball ended up going back up the slope some, anyhow it was a great shot and here is a picture of where my ball ended up. I lipped out the birdie putt (5 birdie putts lipped out yesterday) and made par.
HeavyWoodShot.jpg

Shot 3- Par 4 dogleg right around the back of the driving range so left is OB and right there are trees and serious rough (almost 4inches). I always setup on the right side of the tee box in fear of snap hooking one into the range, I will have a better chance of not going OB if I am on the far right side. I aimed right down the right side of the fairway and hit a mid/high draw that landed center of the fairway and rolled about 10 yards left right to the corner of the dogleg! This shot set me up perfect for my 2nd shot into the green, the wind was in my face for the second shot and I hit a 9iron from 140 and came up about 10 yards short, I hit it perfect too, best feeling and looking iron shot of the day but the wind knocked it down. I used my PW and chipped in for a birdie! Heavy Wood with another assist.

Shot 4&5- I left my driver at home this round and was only using 3 wood from the tee so I had some more chances to use the Heavy Wood on tee shots and 2nd shots. This is a par 5 with a creek running through the fairway at 200 yards from the green, I hit a perfect drive into the middle of the fairway and had 195 yards left to layup just short of this creek to have a 200 yard 3rd into the green, I used the Heavy Wood on both of these shots! The layup shot I hit perfect, 1/2 swing and held off my follow through and it gave me a nice mid trajectory shot that only carried around 160-170 yards and ran up to about 5 yards short of the creek, perfect layup IMO. Now for the 3rd shot into the green, 200 yards to the center flag with the wind coming from right to left, I wasnt thinking anything but hit it straight and put it on the green, I hit a mid/high straight ball that started at the right side of the green and the wind pushed it back to the center of the green, landed dead center and rolled about 15 feet past the hole. I will take that shot all day long. I made par

Shot 6- Hole 18 long long par 5 and its impossible to reach in two. I hit my drive down the left side of the fairway which is not what I wanted to do since this doglegs left and has trees lining the left side of the fairway, a draw around these trees was a must on the second shot and there was also a creek running across the fairway that I had to carry and it was around 185 to get over the creek. The wind was blowing from left to right on this shot so if my draw didnt work it would of pushed me OB right, I hit a perfect high draw that turned perfectly around the trees and held up against the wind and landed just over the creek and rolled into the fairway, this one was a little to close for comfort and I think the wind held it back a little bit but I was still happy with this shot, its a tough one and very intimidating shot when your there in person looking at it. I toed a iron and came up short of the green on my 3rd and thinned my 4th to the back of the green and 2 putted for bogey.

Overall it was the best day I have had with the Heavy Wood yet, consistent sweet spot contact with great results all day long. Between the range and the course I can say that the Heavy Wood is the club I hit best at the moment thats in my bag. Thats saying a lot, I am pretty damn good with my wedges and for a 5 wood to take over that spot for now is saying something.

Great update 10yd! That second shot was pretty epic.

I've hit the range twice since my last update, hoping to get out today but I haven't worked the kinks out of my back. I just cannot get loose. All of my swings feel stunted and painful. :( I have a massage scheduled on Tuesday just in case I still feel this way in two days. Very very unhappy.

Great update 10yd! That second shot was pretty epic.

I've hit the range twice since my last update, hoping to get out today but I haven't worked the kinks out of my back. I just cannot get loose. All of my swings feel stunted and painful. :( I have a massage scheduled on Tuesday just in case I still feel this way in two days. Very very unhappy.

Thanks D, I really really thought I dunked one lol. Hope the back feels better dude, nothing worse than being sore and not being able to swing a club.

Not trying to bum you guys out, that's just the way it is in the north woods. I don't mind the cooler temperatures so much, and would play longer if I could. Playing golf here after Sunday would get pretty expensive though, trespassing fines and all.
I guess the course owners here want to get take anything that needs doing before the snows set in, and then take off to Florida and Arizona. It seems like they all head south for the winter, I would too if I could.

Ya most of the pros here go south for 2-3 months. But the pros at the courses I play at could care less or know me so they dont care. The one who stays here for the winter even comes out and plays a bit with me. It is cold but you get use to it. I played today it was 38 and sunny so it felt like 50 and even warmer after you play a few holes. Shot 76 today and had fun didnt hit the ball great but it was pretty fun. The one problem I do have with golfing in the winter is losing balls that are in play. It is like they just disappear. (mostly because the course doesn't get got or leaves or what not)

Today for example I just pulled an iron about 10 yards left and should of had an easy par. But I couldn't find the ball it was so frustrating lol.

Solid round, 10yard. It sounds like you were rocking the Heavy!

Nice writeup and heck of a shot 10yarddraw! I also see the high consistent draw with the BHH that you do with the FW wood. Really enjoy the predictability of the ball flight.

played Browns Run Country Club on soggy wet Friday.

Had the course to ourself, didnt have a ton of 3W shots, but I did have the chance to hit 2 balls a few times, 1 with Boccieri 3W and 1 with my burner 3W

Hole #2-504 yards--Tee ball actually hit fairway, had 248 into the green. Hit the Boccieri, low ball flight, got some roll but was a good 45 yards short. Dropped a ball in the same spot, hit my Burner, high ball flight, got a total of 8 inchs of roll, but was 25 yards ahead of the Boccieri.

Hole #7-364 yards--Hit 3 wood off of the tee, low ball flight again, down the middle towards the 150 stake. Hit the burner 2nd, and had a high almost balooning ball flight that looked to be in about the same spot. Got up to the balls and the Burner was 15 yards ahead...both balls in dead middle of fairway.

Hole #11-332 yards--Tee ball with Boccieri 210 to the first cut of rough on the right side. Hit the burner 240 (all carry) left side of the fairway. Both shots lead to "easy" 2nd shot.

That was it for the day, used Driver off of the tee much more than usual. Hit the Boccieri well, but my swing with the Burner was dialed in and its hard to give up 25-30 yards of distance between the 2 clubs, especially when Im already teeing off with them instead of a driver on some holes. The swing has felt pretty good as of late with these clubs as well as my 3H (not so much the driver). Hoping to get a few more rounds in within the next 3 weeks and maybe a trip or 2 back to the range

It's easy to see that a club isn't really made for every swing, mike! Sounds like the low balls are really hurting your distance with the Heavy in the wet conditions.

Back