Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Still very pleased with the Heavy Wood and very glad I was given the chance to test this out, Thanks Boccieri Golf and THP, it has really opened my eyes even more to non major OEM's:drinks:

Seconded! (Or...Thirded since BBB beat me to the punch!)

I have never hit the hybrid, but consistent, steady, reliable, are all words I have used in this thread to describe the Boccieri 3w. I think that's been the general consensus among the other testers as well. I can say though, that from what I have seen from the heavy 3w, I would definitely be interested in trying all the other clubs offered by Boccieri.

Alright, SECONDED! :D

Update: Thanks for the tip Sean

Yesterday was the kind of day where playing golf just doesn't come to mind as a really enjoyable activity, kind of cold, blustery, raining on and off, etc. Despite the weather, I did get out to the range to see how the Boccieri 3w, and myself, could handle the poor conditions.

The wind went from steady, to completely unpredictable at times. Sometimes it seemed like it was coming from three directions at once, just one of 'those' sort of days that I'm sure we have all faced at some point. The balls changed from feeling like range rocks to more like ball bearings, and traveled noticeably less distance than they did just a few days ago. And, needless to say, thin shots with irons were pretty punishing. The swirling winds did provide a chance to hit a variety of shots from the range, not unlike what you might expect on the course from different holes, directions, etc.

Headwind:
Hitting a high ball, this is almost a worst case scenario for me, especially if a long carry is needed. The first couple of shots I hit were into the wind, and I made the typical mistake of trying to hit it too hard, and got the typical result of seeing my shots balloon like crazy because the of the extra spin. Then I decided to not fight the wind, just take a normal swing, and the results were much better. The distance was still less into the wind, obviously, but better than when I tried to kill it. I also manged to pull off a few knockdown shots, but like I have mentioned in in other threads, for me a knockdown shot is one that goes like 60 -80' high instead of 100', so the distance wasn't any better as far as I could tell.

Sidewinds:

When the winds weren't gusting as much, the results were predictable. I found again that a smooth swing, allowing for wind drift, and just trying to hit it straight to let it ride the wind, produced the best results. One thing I did use to my advantage, however, was the fact that I know that if I overcook one with the heavy 3w it's going to have a pronounced fade. So, when the wind was right to left, I did just that and got shots that really held their line surprisingly well, fighting the wind all the way.

Downwind:

Nothing unusual here, just a little more carry.

Shifting winds:

Again, not much to say because in this type of condition it's really more of a crap shoot than anything else.

All in all, the words reliable, predictable, and steady still come to mind as adjectives to describe the heavy 3w. Like I have noted before when doing various sorts of testing with the Boccieri, no jaw dropping moments, but no nasty surprises either. Did I mention this club is predictable? Some might find that kind of boring, but I welcome it. I mean, I like to hit the occasional bomb off the tee as much as the next person, but not so much on other shots. I don't know of too many holes where going long doesn't drastically reduce my chances of getting up and down.

I hope this answers some questions that readers may have, and as always I'm open to suggestions as to what people would like to know or see.

Till next time,
BBB

Alright, so I did a very early, very chilly, somewhat breezy, in-the-grass range session this morning and the BGHW just shined. While not all my swings were worthy of such a result but I hit many straight or slight fade to-where-I-was-aiming shots. I even took a few sidehill-ish lies. I had a hard time today choking down on the club and swinging without falling over. I think this is more representative of my inability to stay balanced during that swing scenario than the BGHW, nor did the weighting of the BGHW help me. I'm definitely going to have to work on that.

I was wondering if anyone has been in the situation of the ball noticeably below your feet and how the BGHW responded during that?

All in all, I'm still enjoying this club and would love to get my hands on their hybrids and driver. Thanks THP and Boccieri Golf, again, for this wonderful opportunity.

I wish you had gotten a three wood so you could use it off the tee more often than you will with a five. How about some tee shots anyway? How quick can it get the ball up so you can clear trees? One of my favorite shots with my fairway woods is when I am in another fairway and have trees to get over. I sometimes have to drop down to irons to get it done, but being able to clear trees with a FW is quite satisfying to me.
It all depends on how close the trees are. I have no problem getting good height with the heavy 3 Wood to carry over some trees, in fact, today on a par 5 dogleg right, I hit the 3W roughly 230 over the trees at the turn of the dogleg and left it just right of the green. Very easy to get the ball up in the air, but I have not seen a ballooning shot yet.

Quick question before I head out in the morning to hopefully get a new hybrid. How consistant is this club? I'm looking for a hybrid that's really consistant in the distance/ball flight because I found that it wasn't that way with the Razr X. Anyways, I'd like to try the Boccieri Hybrid, so I figured that if this is consistant, then the hybrid would be as well. Thanks in advance guys!
I have been very consistent with this club, as I am seeing a nice fade on all of my shots with the Heavy Wood. Typically, I am very erratic with a fairway wood, and having been using this for the past couple weeks, the consistency of my shots with the 3W has been excellent. In the past, I had often opted for a long iron vs fairway wood, but now using this club, I opt to go for the extra distance with the 3W.

Looks like a lot of people had similar weather as I did this morning, with a TON of wind. Fortunately for me, I was playing a course that seemed to be with the wind at my back or dead straight at me on the long holes.

Course I was playing was packed, as they had a Labor Day Scramble going on at the same time we were playing, so trying to get video on the range was nearly impossible as I had to wait for a spot just to get warmed up.

Today, with the wind conditions being so vicious, while on the range, I decided to see how well I could hit a "stinger" type shot with the 3W, as I knew I would need to keep the ball low today due to the wind. Choked down on the grip, ball in the back of my stance, with a nice, hard, quick swing. I have rarely been able to hit this type of shot in the past with a 3 wood, and usually would just hit an iron to get this type of shot.

I was seeing great results with the shot, had a nice low piercing ball flight, with some serious roll when it landed. This became my go-to shot today, and I was hitting it off the tee box as well (without a tee). The wind was crazy today, so windy that you had to account for the wind when putting.

This testing has been great, especially for someone that has struggled with fairway woods for years. I have been more consistent with this club than I can ever recall with any other wood. The "stinger" shot I was hitting today was really something I was impressed with, the ball was flying off the club face, and seemed to roll forever. I had wanted to get some time on the range to work on some shot shaping to see how the Boccieri would do when trying to work a ball with the club where you needed it to go, but with the wind being as it was, there was no way today would have provided a good test.

Going to get out on the range and get some videos asap.

ya thats the only down side, dont hit thin and you wont have to worry about it hehe. It sounds like we should try the hybrid if we get a chance, Hawk (or was it hanks?) peeked my interest in it saying how good it was.
I would love to hit the hybrid based on what I have seen with this club. I have big tendency to hook hybrids for some reason.

Alright, so I did a very early, very chilly, somewhat breezy, in-the-grass range session this morning and the BGHW just shined. While not all my swings were worthy of such a result but I hit many straight or slight fade to-where-I-was-aiming shots. I even took a few sidehill-ish lies. I had a hard time today choking down on the club and swinging without falling over. I think this is more representative of my inability to stay balanced during that swing scenario than the BGHW, nor did the weighting of the BGHW help me. I'm definitely going to have to work on that.

I was wondering if anyone has been in the situation of the ball noticeably below your feet and how the BGHW responded during that?

All in all, I'm still enjoying this club and would love to get my hands on their hybrids and driver. Thanks THP and Boccieri Golf, again, for this wonderful opportunity.

From slight side hill lies, I don't have much problem hitting the heavy 3w. More severe lies, then it becomes more an issue of just trying to advance the ball, rather than trying pull off a great shot. But then that's probably true for me with any club, especially if it's way below my feet. I'd rather have to hit out of a divot, than from way below my feet.

Today, with the wind conditions being so vicious, while on the range, I decided to see how well I could hit a "stinger" type shot with the 3W, as I knew I would need to keep the ball low today due to the wind. Choked down on the grip, ball in the back of my stance, with a nice, hard, quick swing. I have rarely been able to hit this type of shot in the past with a 3 wood, and usually would just hit an iron to get this type of shot.

That's interesting that you can hit that shot. I find that when I try the same thing I get too steep into the ball and get a textbook example of ballooning, where it takes off low then shoots straight up and comes up way short. I really have to deliberately flatten my swing a lot to pull one off, which usually ends up with me thinning most of them. Is this something you had to work at to get down, or do you have a flatter swing to begin with?

That's interesting that you can hit that shot. I find that when I try the same thing I get too steep into the ball and get a textbook example of ballooning, where it takes off low then shoots straight up and comes up way short. I really have to deliberately flatten my swing a lot to pull one off, which usually ends up with me thinning most of them. Is this something you had to work at to get down, or do you have a flatter swing to begin with?

Are you hitting down, and into the ball?

I have hit this shot a good bit over the years, but never consistent with it using a 3W. I started hitting it on the range this morning, and was having good results with it and was hitting it well consistently. I am choking down on the club, which is making a shorter club, much more shorter, so I am guessing that is helping me pull the shot off as well.

Hey guys just got back from my second 9 and the course was even more packed:banghead: Glad people are out enjoying this cool day and holiday but dang lol. Still didnt have a chance for video because of it being so busy I didnt want to hold up anybody. I played the back 9 this time since I played the front earlier, ended up shooting a 42 which I will take all day long especially in 30mph winds, 82 if you pair my morning and afternoon 9 together. The back side at my course is longer than the front so I needed 3 wood more than 5 wood on that side, I am finding the 5 wood is very necessary on the front and the 3 on the back, its a good combo IMO. I only hit the Heavy Wood once on the back side and thought I hit a hole in one.

Shot Numero Uno- Another 200 Yard Par 3 straight with tress on both sides, the wind was directly in my face on this hole. I pulled the Heavy Wood and hit a mid/high baby fade that landed about 3 inches infront of the cup and then rolled to the back fring, the pin was dead center of the green and its not a big green, I was so stoked thinking I hit it in until I moved over to the right and saw it on the back fringe. I made par.

I am finding im able to control the trajectory better the more I use the Heavy Wood, I can now move it back in my stance without chunking it like I did at first and move it up a couple ball lengths to hit it high and ride the wind. Im hoping work isnt to backed up since ive been gone almost a week with my tooth if its not I will get back out there tomorrow. Until next time, enjoy the rest of Labor Day!

edit:middle should be white but it doesnt show up lol

I have had a pretty nasty ball above my feet and ball below my feet shot with the Heavy Wood and the ball below my feet turned out allot better than when it was above my feet, a nice mid fade when it was below my feet and a very high pull left when it was above my feet.

Hopefully the testing so far has provided some good insight for those that have read.

Call it curiosity, but wanted to post a few questions for other testers (will answer them myself as well);

1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent?
2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how?
3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past?
4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood?
5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing?

Hopefully the testing so far has provided some good insight for those that have read.

Call it curiosity, but wanted to post a few questions for other testers (will answer them myself as well);

1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent?- Yes 99% of the time, I actually think it helps with the other clubs as well.
2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how? Yes it has, Im hitting more long par 3 greens, putting it in the fairway on short par 4's with it setting me up perfect for my approach shot, has all but eliminated my hook with the Heavy Wood, either straight or fade.
3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past? Yes, only one though, out of rough other than the first cut, the heavy wood goes through the thicker rough very well almost like a hybrid does.
4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood?
5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing?
1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent?- Yes 99% of the time, I actually think it helps with the other clubs as well.
2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how? Yes it has, Im hitting more long par 3 greens, putting it in the fairway on short par 4's with it setting me up perfect for my approach shot, has all but eliminated my hook with the Heavy Wood, either straight or fade.
3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past? Yes, only one though, out of rough other than the first cut, the heavy wood goes through the thicker rough very well almost like a hybrid does.
4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood? I didnt have a 5 wood in the bag before this so I cant comment on this one.
5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing?[/QUOTE] 100% YES, I only worry about where I want my shot to go, the weighting and balance of this club make me swing smooth without thinking about it
100% YES, I only worry about where I want my shot to go, the weighting and balance of this club make me swing smooth without thinking about it

edit: I accidently typed my answers in your quote lol, thats why its doubled

Last edited:
1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent?
Definitely feel that my shots are more consistent with the Heavy Wood than what I have used in the past (most recently the TM Superfast 3W, prior to that, the Nike SQ 3W). Previously, when hitting a 3W, I was highly erratic. With the Boccieri HW, my shorts are much more consistent, and I feel that regardless of my shot, I know that if I strike the ball well, that I will have control over my shot. I am getting a lower ball flight than I am used to, and the distance is slightly less than the Superfast, but I will trade a few extra yards for shot consistency any day of the week.

I feel that my game has improved since gaming the Heavy Wood, most noticeably being with my course management. Since getting adjusted with the Heavy Wood, I have been much more willing to go for the green in two in Par 5s, rather than lay up with an iron, and settle for a par. On the note of course management, I play many courses down here that have numerous doglegs left/right, that if you hit driver off the tee, you fly through the fairway and are OB. My driver was too much, my hybrid wasnt enough, and not having a consistent shot with a 3W left me in a tough spot. Being able to hit a tee shot with a 3W, with good distance and keeping it in play is something I think will benefit me in a lot of the local courses.

3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past?
For one, I am actually using a fairway wood. Like I have said many times, I often opted for less distance and to go with an iron as I was not confident that I could hit my 3W well enough to keep it in play. 2. Got very comfortable today with hitting a "stinger" type shot, keeping the ball low, and out of the crazy wind that was out on the course today. This is a shot I have not been able to hit with a wood in the past, and I cant wait to hit the range tomorrow to see if this is a shot that I can pull off on a consistent basis.

Less distance than what I can hit my Superfast 3W, but much more consistent and I can actually keep the ball in play. I would say when hitting my Superfast, 3 out of 5 shots were going to go wherever they wanted, and usually a vicious slice. The Heavy Wood has provided me a nice comfort level in the club, and I would say that 3 of 5 shots are on line to where I want them to be, and even with a mis-hit, the results are still manageable, and in play. I get a nice fade with the Heavy Wood, and love the roll out I see from the ball flight. I do not experience my nasty slice with Boccieri as I see with my current 3W, the balance of the club, the back weighting, and the rest of the technology that keeps your swing on plane for a square face at impact just flat out works.

Absolutely. I have confidence when swinging this club, especially knowing that even my mis-hits aren't terrible. Instead of standing over my shot and thinking, "dont slice, dont slice", I can visualize my shot, focus on my target, and swing, knowing that I am able to hit the shot that I want to.

Update: Thanks for the tip Sean

Yesterday was the kind of day where playing golf just doesn't come to mind as a really enjoyable activity, kind of cold, blustery, raining on and off, etc. Despite the weather, I did get out to the range to see how the Boccieri 3w, and myself, could handle the poor conditions.

The wind went from steady, to completely unpredictable at times. Sometimes it seemed like it was coming from three directions at once, just one of 'those' sort of days that I'm sure we have all faced at some point. The balls changed from feeling like range rocks to more like ball bearings, and traveled noticeably less distance than they did just a few days ago. And, needless to say, thin shots with irons were pretty punishing. The swirling winds did provide a chance to hit a variety of shots from the range, not unlike what you might expect on the course from different holes, directions, etc.

Headwind:
Hitting a high ball, this is almost a worst case scenario for me, especially if a long carry is needed. The first couple of shots I hit were into the wind, and I made the typical mistake of trying to hit it too hard, and got the typical result of seeing my shots balloon like crazy because the of the extra spin. Then I decided to not fight the wind, just take a normal swing, and the results were much better. The distance was still less into the wind, obviously, but better than when I tried to kill it. I also manged to pull off a few knockdown shots, but like I have mentioned in in other threads, for me a knockdown shot is one that goes like 60 -80' high instead of 100', so the distance wasn't any better as far as I could tell.

Sidewinds:

When the winds weren't gusting as much, the results were predictable. I found again that a smooth swing, allowing for wind drift, and just trying to hit it straight to let it ride the wind, produced the best results. One thing I did use to my advantage, however, was the fact that I know that if I overcook one with the heavy 3w it's going to have a pronounced fade. So, when the wind was right to left, I did just that and got shots that really held their line surprisingly well, fighting the wind all the way.

Downwind:

Nothing unusual here, just a little more carry.

Shifting winds:

Again, not much to say because in this type of condition it's really more of a crap shoot than anything else.

All in all, the words reliable, predictable, and steady still come to mind as adjectives to describe the heavy 3w. Like I have noted before when doing various sorts of testing with the Boccieri, no jaw dropping moments, but no nasty surprises either. Did I mention this club is predictable? Some might find that kind of boring, but I welcome it. I mean, I like to hit the occasional bomb off the tee as much as the next person, but not so much on other shots. I don't know of too many holes where going long doesn't drastically reduce my chances of getting up and down.

I hope this answers some questions that readers may have, and as always I'm open to suggestions as to what people would like to know or see.

Till next time,
BBB

Great job BBB, not sure how I missed this post earlier.

Serious question for anybody reading this thread thats not commenting, if this was a Taylormade, Ping, Nike, etc would you be more interested in this club and asking questions? This is in no way a hey I want somebody to tell me good review or something like that, im just curious if the name on the club is having a affect on your interest.

I personally have enjoyed all the comments and videos... I'm buying into the back weighting technology... I think the only way I'm going to get more information is by hitting it myself. I've been waiting for Mr. Boccieri to get back from his vacation, so I can talk to him about shafts etc (I usually play an X-flex in my graphite shafts and I'm a high ball hitter and am usually looking for a low launch low spin shaft...). So I may be purchasing soon... mission accomplished...

I got out this afternoon for a late nine, and shot a 41, which could have easily been a 39. Oh well, that's just how it goes. I played the back nine at North Shore G.C. in Menominee MI. I didn't plan on playing the back nine because I honestly hate a lot of the holes on that nine, but they said they were aerating the front and I respected their wishes. It worked out pretty good though because the back nine provides a lot of opportunities to hit a 3w off the tee. I took a lot of video footage, and since I basically had the place to myself, I also did a few comparisons of hitting driver and the Boccieri 3w, off the tee. I'm uploading the videos right now, and I'll let them do most of the explaining, the good, the bad, and the ugly. With me starring as the ugly. haha

I didn't know we were gonna have to take a test. haha I haven't been studying for it, can I get an extension. j/k I'll answer the questions.
Great idea BTW

1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent? All around I can't honestly say that the Boccieri has helped me be more consistent, but it has helped to realize that a smooth, controlled, shot works best for me all around.

2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how? Refer to question one.

3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past? With the exception of being able to hit shots from deeper rough, not really, but I also don't feel like I'm giving up anything hitting the Bocceiri, except maybe a few yards.

4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood? Slight decrease, as I mentioned above.

5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing? Yes, but I find that I play better regardless if I can just think about where I want to put the ball. If I start 'thinking' too much about my swing on the course, it's a downward spiral from there. IOW if I start to play 'golf swing' instead of golf on the course, the results are often bad.

#10 first shot on the course today.

The result of the tee shot on #10

#12 360 yd par 4 90* dogleg right.

#12 result

#13 tee shot

[video=youtube;--B7ZiLHxog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--B7ZiLHxog[/video]

#13 result

More to come, but internet is agonizingly slow today, not trying to make a teaser.

1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent? --If you asked me this a few weeks ago when I was pounding my 3W down the middle, I would say no. But now that it has developed a hook, the Boccieri has become more consistent for sure.

2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how? -_Sort of goes with the previous question, but this club this past weekend saved me off of the tee when my driver wasnt locked in, and I was hooking my burner 3W.

3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past?.--Not quite yet, but hoping to take more shots from the deep rough with that I dont tend to try often with my other 3W.

4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood? Slight decrease as confirmed by a trip to the range Saturday morning, was approximately 15 yards shorter on just about every shot.

5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing? --I would say yes to this right now. I tend to think WAYY too much on the tee box, and this weekend I was really just able to walk up and just swing using this club, was nice to do for a change.

Great job testers....quick question....the group testing the HD have reported feeling like they have to have 2 swings...one for all other clubs and a slower, more deliberate swing for the HD.

Are the FW testers seeing the same type of results?

Great job testers....quick question....the group testing the HD have reported feeling like they have to have 2 swings...one for all other clubs and a slower, more deliberate swing for the HD.

Are the FW testers seeing the same type of results?

I dont think I do, but I could be wrong, I'll try to get some video up and see what it shows

I've been racking my brains for questions and boom! Good job WE. I'm starting to ponder selling some stuff in order to grab this club:drool:

Back