Blades are sorta hard to hit

fyton2v

Reaction score
Handicap
Infinity
I did a thing after I broke my 7 iron. I've been playing Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals for a little over a year and there are a couple of things I didn't like about the set. Nothing wrong with the clubs ... they're amazing. I didn't quite realize how amazing they really are. I just wasn't a big fan of the game improvement lofts, and my normal swing speed outgrew the regular stiffness shafts on those clubs. For my game, the low lofts created a crowded carry situation at the top of my bag. Anyway, after flinging the head of the 7 iron into a wall, I figured I'd reshaft the whole set with the correct stiffness. And then I lost my mind, apparently.

Why spend the cash and time on new shafts when I could just get some new clubs? I really liked the idea of standard lofted clubs, so why not solve the shaft and loft problems at the same time? On that whim I picked up a set of 923 Tours. They are beautiful. They are amazing. They are really, really small. It's a lot like trying to hit the ball with a postage stamp glued to the end of a long stick.

Here is what I learned by moving from GI irons to blades.

1. You think your iron game is decent. You've practiced enough. You think you have good shaft lean and ball compression. You haven't, and you don't.
2. You think you're making consistent, reliable contact with the ball. You aren't.
3. After a session with the blades, you pick up a GI iron just to feel the difference ... and they're so easy to hit that it's like cheating.

I don't regret it. I bought them knowing they'd be harder to use; my goal was to get better, not to lower my score. These clubs really tell you when your swing wasn't quite good enough. I read a bunch about that phenomenon in reviews, on forums, etc., and it's no joke. You can't get away with much. But when you do it right, it's something awesome. If you're a mid-handicapper looking to be a high-handicapper, do pick up a set of attractive blades. :) I think the swing refinement that must follow will surely make us better players.

Can't wait for Sunday to see if I can hit the Tours on the course.

You’ll grow into them in time. Make you want to practice more

Good on you for enjoying the game how you want.

My buddy plays TM P7TW blades and crushes them, but because he can’t chip or putt (or use driver off the tee) it’s a good score if he breaks 90. I’ve had a hit with them. Even when I hit them flush, the ball goes nowhere!

Crocodile Dundee voice

"You call the 923 tour a blade? THIS is a blade"

PXL_20240430_205433577.jpg

My buddy plays TM P7TW blades and crushes them, but because he can’t chip or putt (or use driver off the tee) it’s a good score if he breaks 90. I’ve had a hit with them. Even when I hit them flush, the ball goes nowhere!
I have a set as well and love them. They are easier to hit than the P7 MB irons because of the longer blade length. As far as them going nowhere, I guess if you play something like the p790 and look at the number on the bottom of the club only, then I guess you’d say they don’t go anywhere. I still got the TW 7 iron 170 and love them.

I did this about 3 years ago. Had been playing GI irons for about 10 years and decided to buy a set of black cobra MB/CB from thp marketplace mainly based on how cool they looked but wanted to try more of a blade.

You’ll grow into them in time. Make you want to practice more

This was definitely my experience. They felt so good when hit well you just wanna keep practicing to get that feeling more often. I’ve since gone to next category up (King Tours) to get a little more forgiveness, but I think the year+ I gamed the MB/CB greatly improved my iron swing/play.

Also I strongly considered the 923 Tours, they just look and feel soooo good! Enjoy em!

Back