Better practice...range or course?

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
Started having a little discussion on this in the Morgan Cup thread but thought I would start a new one so others might see it and give their thoughts. The question is do you feel you get better practice and make more improvements by spending more time on the course or the range?

For me, I really struggle on the range even when I may be playing some good golf on the course. If anything, the range can sometimes hurt my confidence which carries over into my game on the course. I could go to the range and catch every since ball fat and then go to the course and not have a single fat shot for the entire round. I attribute it to better concentration I guess.

I have been to some ranges that are nice and have greens to shoot at rather than just signs with yardage markers randomly placed around the range, and I tend to hit the ball better then. Once I get a good judgement of how far one of the greens is I can grab a club and hit for the green, and I usually have more success than just hitting down a range that really has no targets.

I am much better on the course than on the range too.

And like you said, I have been to ranges that actually have several greens to hit at and I tend to do better at those as well.....but when it's just a "pasture with yardage signs in it" I really struggle

Only time I use the driving range is for a quick warm-up, testing out new clubs, or if I'm working on a swing change.

Otherwise I spend my time practicing by playing out on the course.

It all depends on how you practice and the range. The range I hit at has very small target greens and I usually play games within the bucket to go through the progression of irons and make as many accurate shots as possible onto those greens.

That said, nothing substitutes the feeling of awkward lies and shots from different cuts better than actually being on the course.

I make a lot more progress on the range. I'm playing golf on the course which is much different than playing golf swing. If I start to practice on the course by hitting a second ball with swing thoughts, pretty soon my mind is cluttered and I'm going to have no chance playing to my index.

Usually the most productive range time for me is immediately after a round.I can go hit 75 balls and usually fix what was going wrong on the course that day. I also often pretend I'm playing the course on the range. I'll hit a 3 wood, then a 8 iron, then a chip, then a driver, etc. If you pick different targets for each shot on the range you will be less likely to screw up you alignment.

Course is best for getting better. Range is best for fixing a problem you have.

I make a lot more progress on the range. Usually the most productive range time for me is immediately after a round.

I can go hit 75 balls and usually fix what was going wrong on the course that day. I also often pretend I'm playing the course on the range. I'll hit a 3 wood, then a 8 iron, then a chip, then a driver, etc. If you pick different targets for each shot on the range you will be less likely to screw up you alignment.

I try to hit different clubs on each shot also, I definitely think it helps to prepare for a round. I did this once when I was prepping for a round at Cog Hill Dubsdread. I purchased the yardage book a few weeks ahead and then went through each page and hit each shot I planned on using for my tee shot, approach shot, and even a 2nd and third shot if it was a par 5. It definitely makes you concentrate more on your shots. I will have to start doing this again when I am on the range it might help me out!

Range for me. Last year when I went through a grip change I was happy to have a range to go to every day to work on things. That being said our home course is extremely tight and can cause some serious doubt about you skills even when you are stricking the ball well.

Range for swing. Course for game.

Driving range is for engraining swing mechanics. Course work is for using those mechanics. I believe that range time is useless if you never get onto the course to utilize that range time. Conversely, if something is wrong, just playing more golf won't fix it. At least for me.

Better practice? The range for sure. Can't really use aids to check alignment, target lines and such or hit multiple shots at a target on the course.
If there's no flags on the range, I just pick a tree or post or some feature to aim at.

The course is great to identify where you need work, not so much for correcting it. I don't have the ability to fix flaws on the fly very well.

I'm way better on the range, I think it's a freer swing.

I'm not very disciplined, so I feel I get more about of just playing. If I had the discipline to either a) practice correctly all the time, or b) stop hitting balls IMMEDIATELY once I start losing focus on the range, I'd probably get more/lose less out of range time.

I play my best when I stretch for a few minutes, hit about 10-12 balls on the range with nothing higher than a 5I, and head straight to the course. I very rarely play well when I get to the course an hour early so "get ready".

I find it very hard to focus on shots at the range like I would on the course. So for me I practice on the course.

That said I do find it beneficial to go the range to work on one thing in particular. I just need to have the focus to stick to the one thing I'm there to work on.

I'm way better at practicing on the course and playing than range time. I have a focus issue though.

I only go to the range to do specific things, not to just hit balls. I only work on one thing at a time on the range. The rest comes from just playing for me. I also know when I need to take a few days off if I've been playing daily.

It all depends on what you need. Overall I think the course is best, but if I have one things that needs work I like to focus on that skill at the range.

all I can say is that I am a better striker of the ball at the range vs on the course. And I don't mean because mats can hide some flaws because I take that into account when discussing this. I try to work on things at the range and develop a feel for certain things but truth is I don't get to go often. When I do I try to get a feel for certain things and even though working on things I hit pretty darn good at the range with all my clubs but when on the course there must be some mental thing going on because it can be full of blow-ups.

Driving range is for engraining swing mechanics. Course work is for using those mechanics. I believe that range time is useless if you never get onto the course to utilize that range time. Conversely, if something is wrong, just playing more golf won't fix it. At least for me.

This sums up my thoughts too. Well said blu.

I need both. One of my tricks on the range is to go back to my wedge (usually gap wedge) in between clubs and whenever I lose any rhythm.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I can certainly understand the question as I sometimes struggle with what is better for my practice time. I think the range is the best place to actually practice and work on your game. I subscribe to the old adage, "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." What this means to me is taking my time and really focusing on the shot I am trying to execute. Just beating balls does little for game improvement.

That being said, on course experience is essential to a complete game. There are situations that are impossible to practice on the range. Time spent on course is good time for the overall game.

range for sure.... i suck at the range at times too doesn't matter i still work on what i'm trying to improve on and i know it shows when i'm on the course. It surprises me sometimes how bad i can hit on the range and go play right after that and play great. i also love the range when i just want to keep my swing in tune when i don't have 4 hours for a round.

I have tried doing all the different things at the range that have been mentioned but it never seems to help me much, I tend to focus much better if I go play a dedicated practice round at a course at a down time so I can work on some things and not worry about score as much.

Range for me. Most of my practice is working on drills to correct a swing flaw, or two. Can't really do that on the course. The pump drill on the first tee would be hilarious tho.

Heard them say the Lee Westwood practices every shot at the range like he would play on the course. Practice with a purpose. I try to hit 4/5 shots with my 9- driver. Then spend time on the chipping, trap practice area. Finish off with 30 putts. Once a week is my goal for the range, also try to do at 20-30 swings daily at home with a short weighted club, creating muscle memory. Also heard that if you jump out of you car and race to the first tee try to hit a few short chips around the tee box while waiting it will be effective in getting your timing down.

Back