Bethpage State Park-The Black Course

Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
Bethpage State Park in Farmingdale, New York is home to 5 golf courses, and I played the most famous of them, the Black Course, recently. Bethpage Black has been the host of two US Open Championships, The Barclays, and will host a PGA Championship and a Ryder Cup in the next 10 years. Being as prestigious as it is, the Black Course can be very difficult to get on, especially for a non-NY resident. On the Black Course they allot the first hour of tee times as well as one time per hour after that to walk-ons. Because it is on the grounds of a state park, New York residents have the first chance to book tee times up to 7 days in advance. Those that live outside of New York can only book 3 days in advance, though most times, New York residents will have the tee sheet full. That means that if you live outside of New York and want to play the Black Course, walking on will be the way to go more often than not, and that is the route that I went.

The easiest way to guarantee a spot when you are walking on is to get there the day prior to when you plan to play. There is a line of parking spaces numbered 1-100 that you park in if you want to walk on, and right in front of the first one is a sign detailing all of the rules of lining up to walk on. A Bethpage official comes around at about 6:45 and hands out one wristband each to every car lined up and not every member of your group needs to be present for this step. While your car must remain in the parking spot overnight, you do not. So if you are going with more than one person it is advised that you bring two cars so that after you get a wristband, you can head to a local hotel to get some sleep. The next day between 4 and 5 o’clock in the morning, another Bethpage official comes out and each car exchanges their wristband for bakery tickets- one for each member of your group. At this time, all of your group members must be present. After getting your ticket, you head to the clubhouse and exchange your ticket for a tee time. Once you have done that, you are free to leave and do whatever you want because you will still have at least a couple of hours until your tee time.

null.jpg

When it comes time for you to finally tee off, you must report to the starter’s shed 20 minutes before your tee time, or you risk forfeiting your spot. Upon arrival at the starter’s shed, you will see a beautiful practice putting green so you can roll some putts to prepare for your round. When it is time for your round to begin, you are greeted by a very straightforward and iconic warning sign as you head down the stairs to the first tee.

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

The first hole is a beautiful staring par 4 that doglegs left to right with trees guarding the right side of the dogleg and plenty of open space down the left. You hit your approach into a deep, narrow green with bunkers guarding the left and right. The green slopes back to front, so if you leave the ball below the hole you will be rewarded with a relatively straight uphill putt.

null-40.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

The second hole is one of the shorter par 4s on the course, but it is also one of the tightest. The fairway both curves and slopes down from right to left, and overhanging trees on the left mean you will have to move your tee ball from right to left if you want to hit a longer club. After finding the fairway, you will likely end up with a sloped lie for your uphill approach shot. Make sure to take enough club to get up the hill as there is both nasty rough and bunkers guarding the front of the green. Once you have found the green, you will be delighted to see that it is one of the flattest on the course and you should have a straight, flat putt.

null-41.jpg

null-6.jpg

null-7.jpg

The easiest hole on the course, the third is a par 3 that has a raised, shallow green with bunkers guarding the front of it. The green is flat and moves away from you as you go to the left, so a front pin will have much less danger to avoid than a back pin. While making sure to get the ball over the bunkers, you will also be penalized for going long as it slopes sharply downward, leaving you a blind, uphill pitch back onto the green.

null-42.jpg

null-8.jpg

As you walk off the third green you will be greeted by your first par 5 as well as the prettiest golf hole I have ever played. The fourth fairway moves from right to left with a bunker sticking out. You will have to decide how far left over the bunker you can drive it because the carry required gets larger the further left you go. Once in the fairway, you will hit your second up the hill over a long bunker into the second fairway. Only the longest hitters out there will be able to reach this hole in two as even a great drive will leave you with 200+ yards uphill to carry over a bunker. After you hit your second shot, you will be left with a wedge into the green up the hill and over a bunker. The further you hit your second shot, the less of the bunker there is to carry to get to the green as the second fairway goes back to the right with the green straight ahead from the end of the first fairway. The green is shallow and flat with bunkers short, but if you go long it dips down slightly into a fairway-cut collection area.

null-43.jpg

null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

null-11.jpg

The fifth is another hole where the fairway moves, this time to the right as it goes away from you with trees down the right side. The large bunker short of the fairway means the more carry distance you can get, the closer you will be for your approach. The approach is a blind, uphill shot with bunkers both short and long and overhanging trees guarding the left side of another very flat green.

null-44.jpg

null-13.jpg

null-14.jpg

The sixth gives you a slightly uphill landing area for your drive with bunkers both left and right. The hole doglegs from right to left so longer hitters can attempt to carry the bunker down the left, leaving a short approach in. The second shot goes way downhill to a round green guarded almost entirely by bunkers. Other than small areas directly in front and directly behind the green, a miss here will land you in the bunker. Hit the green though, and you will be rewarded with a straight, flat putt from almost anywhere on the putting surface.

null-45.jpg

null-15.jpg

null-16.jpg

The par 5 seventh hole has a drive much like the fifth— the further you can carry it over the bunker, the closer you will be to the green. The hole moves left to right and after your tee shot, the second will be straight to the green with trees on both sides. With a good drive, this hole is reachable, but if not a long iron for your second will leave a short wedge shot in. The green has bunkers in front on both the left and right sides, but otherwise does not have too much trouble around it. A small ridge in the front of the green is the only slope on it, but it means that you will have to be careful of going over a front pin as the ridge slopes from back to front.

null-46.jpg

null-17.jpg

null-18.jpg

The eighth is a par 3 that plays downhill and over a small pond. A mid to long iron should safely clear the water, but a bunker to the left and a large tree to the right of this large, deep green can also pose problems for a wayward tee ball. The green slopes from back to front, so leaving the ball below the hole will give you the best chance to make a putt.

null-47.jpg

null-19.jpg

Finishing out the front 9, the ninth hole doglegs from right to left with a bunker guarding the left side of the dogleg. The approach plays slightly uphill to a medium-sized green with bunkers guarding the front. Aside from a couple of very small bumps, the green is flat so two good shots will leave you a solid birdie opportunity.

null-48.jpg

null-20.jpg

null-21.jpg

The first hole on the back 9, the tenth hole is a long, straight par 4 that plays straight into the prevailing wind. With bunkers and fescue all down the left and right sides, finding the fairway is key. The round green is guarded in the front by two bunkers, on the side by fescue, and has a fairway-cut collection area around the back. The green slopes from back to front, so there really isn’t a good place to miss this green as even the collection area can leave you with a dangerous pitch down to the hole.

null-49.jpg

null-22.jpg

null-23.jpg

The eleventh hole is very similar to the tenth—it is a slightly shorter par 4 with bunkers and fescue down both sides of the fairway. Because it doubles back and goes in the opposite direction of the tenth, it typically plays downwind which helps it play shorter. The green is elevated and guarded on both sides by bunkers and by thick rough in the back. This round green slopes sharply from back to front, so leaving the ball below the hole with your approach is crucial.

null-50.jpg

null-24.jpg

null-25.jpg

Another long par 4, the twelfth moves right to left with a bunker guarding the dogleg. The more carry distance you get, the further left you can go and that will leave you with a shorter approach. With bunkers guarding both sides of the green, going short or long would be the best miss. A ridge runs through the center of the green, making it one of the more undulating out there.

null-51.jpg

null-26.jpg

null-27.jpg

The longest hole on the course, the par 5 thirteenth is a monster of a hole with trees on both sides and bunkers strategically placed in the landing areas of both the first and second shots. Even the best of drives here will leave a layup for the second shot, but you must be careful of the bunker that juts out and forces the fairway to curl way to the right about 150 yards from the hole. If you hit a good drive, you can go over the edge of that bunker with a good second and leave a short wedge in. The green in guarded by bunkers short and to the right, so there isn’t much to worry about when hitting your approach. The green slopes from back to front so leaving your ball below the hole is best.

null-54.jpg

null-28.jpg

null-29.jpg

null-30.jpg

A shorter par 3, the fourteenth hole has a large ridge running right through the center of the green. With bunkers left and right and fescue short, long is your best miss on this hole. Being on the same tier as the pin is crucial too as that ridge runs fast and can lead to a lot of 3 putts.

null-53.jpg

null-31.jpg

The fifteenth hole is one of the hardest on the course as it is a long par 4 that plays uphill and into the prevailing wind. The fairway curves very slightly from right to left, though playing straight shots is fine on this hole as there are no obstacles. The drive is slightly uphill to a tight fairway with out of bounds right and fescue left, and the approach plays way uphill and has bunkers short. The green is relatively deep, but it has a large ridge running through the center and being on the wrong side of that can very easily lead to a 3 putt.

null-56.jpg

null-34.jpg

null-33.jpg

The sixteenth hole provides one of the best views on the course with the tee being highly elevated. The drive on this hole plays well downhill, with the prevailing wind, and has ample room on both sides of the fairway so tee it high and let it fly. The hole plays slightly right to left and there is bunkering guarding both sides of the green. The green is very flat so a good drive can have you looking for birdie here.

null-57.jpg

null-35.jpg

The seventeenth is a long par three that is made worse by playing into the prevailing wind. A very wide, shallow green guarded by bunkers both short and long, it is one of the most difficult shots you will face all day. A par here is a very good score to escape with.

null-58.jpg

null-36.jpg

The finishing hole is one of the most picturesque par 4s on the course. Playing from an elevated tee, it is a straight, medium-length hole with bunkering and fescue down both sides and a view of the clubhouse in the background. The fairway gets narrower the further out you go, so longer hitters may want to lay up off the tee. The approach is uphill to a large, flat green with bunkers short, so long is better on this hole. Walking up the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] fairway to the green with the clubhouse in the back is one of the greatest feelings I’ve ever felt on a golf course. The pretty sight combined with knowing that your long hard day is finally over can really feel good one a nice day.

null-59.jpg

null-37.jpg

null-38.jpg

This setup was by far the hardest I’ve played and the course was in gorgeous condition on top of that. The warning sign at the beginning is definitely spot-on. This course was not meant for mundane golfers. Everything from the rough being really thick, many holes playing very long, and the bunkers being very deep made the course very hard. The greens in general were pretty flat and fast, and that led to a bunch of made putts over 15 feet. If you can keep the ball in the fairway, it makes the course much easier because this course is all about the approach. The approach shots are difficult, but if you are able to hit greens, you’ll make putts and inevitably score well. Here are a couple of pictures of the rough and of a bunker on 18 just to show some of those characteristics of the course.

null-12.jpg

null-39.jpg

Thanks for reading!

null-60.jpg

Great review Charlie! I want to play this course one day! How did you score?

Great write up buddy and the pictures were great. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice review! I've wanted to play this course since watching my first U.S. Open played there in 2009.

If you shot a 101 Charlie I would easily shoot 125 ha ha

Great review and the pictures are incredible!

Awesome!! Pics are sweeeeet!!!

You killed it, Dam. Course review of the month right here! Thanks for sharing all those details especially how to walk up for a tee time. This one is on my bucket list!

Nice review!! I played here a couple years ago when I was still a NY resident... don't think I've ever had to hit so many fairway woods on 2nd and 3rd shots. Toughest... and longest course I've ever played.

Wow! What a great write-up Charlie! I love the combination of yardage book + actual photos!:thumb:

I've officially added Beth Page Black to my bucket list.

Great review and pics!

Very well done review buddy. I enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you for this post Damaikis ! In my lifetime, I highly doubt I will ever get a chance to experience Bethpage. Thank you for sharing your experience with us !

Wow, what a great review. Thanks for sharing.

I was following the front saying "that doesn't seem so hard" then the back comes along and you get an avalanche of tough holes. It looks like a great course. I'd love to play it some day.

Fantastic review! I would love to play that set up.

Played this course, as well as the other 4, many times back in the mid 70s..Back then, after about 11AM, you could walk right on all 5 courses during the week..If I remember, the green fees were less than $15 to walk..We never rode back then..The weekend was a different story..We would close the bar, go to a diner and have breakfast and get to the course about 4:30AM...Check in and go the car and get some sleep..Tee off about 9:30...Weekends were crazy slow back then... 5 1/2 hour round was a norm... Have a few beers after and be back home by 5 PM..It was a long, long day but we were young and they were fun rounds...Funny Bethpage story..Was playing a weekday round back then on the Blue Course ..On the 4th hole, my buddy shanked a 3 wood..I was about 30 yards away and his ball hit me right above my left eye..Out cold..I was told they drove an ambulance on the fairway to cart me off..My buddies said it caused a major back-up of golfers..I came to my senses in the Emergency Room..Needed 15 stitches..A guy behind us had a camera and took a picture, had it developed and left a copy in the pro shot..Looked like I was shot, with all the blood covering my face.. Overnight in the hospital with a concussion..My 'fondest' non-memory of Bethpage...Who says golf isn't a contact sport..

Last edited:
Great review! What a pleasure to read that was Dam!

When the easiest hole on the course is a 229 yard par 3 you know you are in serious doodoo.

Great review! What a pleasure to read that was Dam!

When the easiest hole on the course is a 229 yard par 3 you know you are in serious doodoo.

Still lol at this!

And, yeah this was an awesome review.

I am heading off to the red course Sunday and am both excited and intimidated at once.

Nice write up Charlie!

Back