Best shot you’ve ever seen a tour pro hit in person?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Could be a famous shot or just a shot that really impressed you.

For me... the FIRST golf shot I EVER saw a tour pro hit was Ernie Els holing a 7 iron at the Open the second I walked onto the course 🤣.

I watched Ian James Pouty hit an open faced flop driver from 175 on a par 3 to about 10-15 feet.

I was at the PGA Championship in 2000 on Sunday and saw Tiger drain the 25 footer where he is chasing the ball and pointing at it that they always show as a highlight. I was behind about 6 rows of people directly behind him from the hole on 18. That is definitely the most famous shot I have ever seen.

As far as in person goes I think it has to be Tiger's tee shot on the par 3 #6 hole (now #15) at the Tour Championship. The crowd, the moment the excitement of it all was amazing. I think he hit it inside of 3 feet from the back tees. It was awesome!!!

We had just arrived at the 2013 WGC Bridgestone Invitational on Thursday. Tiger Woods was finishing his round on the 9th, playing from the 1st fairway. He had to hoist this shot over the old-growth trees between the fairways. He takes a Tiger lash at it and puts the ball up and over the trees, and lands it gently on the front of the green. It was incredible.

I have not been to many pro events, but this year I was a Standard Bearer at the Texas Valero Open in SA. (An awesome experience getting to be on the course with the players!) On the 18th hole, a 600-yar par 5, J.B. Holmes was in the fairway, on a slight downslope, 295 yards out. He hits his 3-wood, carries a river in front of the green, bounces twice on the green and rolls off the back. Even though it rolled off the back, the shot was insane to me, and I was standing 15 yards away from him when he hit it.

Wasn’t the best shot necessarily, but I saw Mickelson hit a backwards shot at the Barclays 7 or 8 years ago. Crowd loved it!

Saw Fuzzy Zoeller almost hole out on a par 3 at the GGO in the early 90s. Also, John Daly driving 300+ back then was awesome!

I saw Rory hit a drive about 400 yards on #14 at Chambers Bay in the 2015 US Open. I just remember the sound it made...just unbelievable speed.

David Toms — ace on 15 in the 2001 PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club. Beautiful 5W from 245 yards downhill. I was standing directly behind him. It was dead on target from the moment it left the club face. Great memory.

Not a great shot but one I always remember. Andy Williams San Diego Open, 1975. In 1968 I was stationed in Oahu and caddied for Rod Funseth at the Hawaiian Open from the Tuesday practice round thru the 4 tournament rounds. 8 years later I was stationed at San Diego and saw Rod on the putting green prior to his practice round. We had a great conversation and he said he was shanking the long irons. I watched him tee off on the 1st tee on the South course. He had a 4 iron into the green and hit it 20 feet right of the hole. He turned around and said "see, shanking the long irons." I said give me your 4 iron and Ill show you a shank. :ROFLMAO:

Circa 1982, I was at Bay Hill following Nicklaus. He pulled his tee shot on one hole and the ball was immediately surrounded by a throng of fans. When he gets to the ball, he and his caddie start getting the crowd to clear a path to the hole some 220 yards away. The crowd forms a ridiculously narrow corridor and Nicklaus spends a moment trying to get the corridor lined up on his intended flight path.

He then calmly stripes a 1-iron straight down the long corridor of people (it would have absolutely killed anyone if he had pushed or pulled the shot slightly). The ball was one of those low trajectory bullets that just rises (definitely reminds me of the old balata ball days). It was a very tight fade that landed in the middle of the green. To this day, I'm just in awe of that shot. Nicklaus was just calm and cool throughout, just an everyday shot for him.

Forget the hole, but it was at the Quicken Loans tournament a while back at RTJ. Tiger fanned his drive off into the trees. We got to his ball and were two rows back to watch him hit a FW of a fairly gnarly lie, through a window in the branches about the size of a basketball backboard. Rolled off the back of the green. Can't remember if he made par but the fact he saw that window and flighted it through there was pretty impressive.

Charley Hoffman's hole in one at #16 on Sunday at The Master's in 2018!

Back