Best budget 10-12 cup coffee maker

SVonhof

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
We have a cheap Hamilton Beach 12 cup coffee maker and I feel that we are not getting the true flavor of the coffee.

What convinced me was on our trip to visit friends and family last month, our friends we stayed with had a Breville Precision machine that put out a fantastic, strong brew.

I don't really want to pay $300 for a new coffee maker and I am not sure that one would fit below our cabinets as it is really quite tall.

What do you have that you really like?

I haven't looked at coffee makers in years but the Braun pure drip or pure something was always very highly rated

There are Ninja ones that are good, they are about 200 bucks or so. Gives a lot of options for single cup to full pot, has a milk frother and such with them.

If your talking budget there is always the old reliable Mr. Coffee. We had one in a vacation rental back in November and it worked fine.

Here is the Braun that I was talking about

There are Ninja ones that are good, they are about 200 bucks or so. Gives a lot of options for single cup to full pot, has a milk frother and such with them.
I would not need the milk frother, just a coffee maker. I will look at them though.

If your talking budget there is always the old reliable Mr. Coffee. We had one in a vacation rental back in November and it worked fine.
Yeah, but was it GOOD coffee? ;)

I would not need the milk frother, just a coffee maker. I will look at them though.
I bought the Ninja Espresso/Coffee maker that had the frother attachment. It makes the coffee fine but not great. You do have the option to do a small amount like a single cup up to a full pot. I do like having the espresso part though to just put a pod in and get a quick shot or two of espresso.

I bought the Ninja Espresso/Coffee maker that had the frother attachment. It makes the coffee fine but not great. You do have the option to do a small amount like a single cup up to a full pot. I do like having the espresso part though to just put a pod in and get a quick shot or two of espresso.
We used to have an old Nespresso machine and found that we just didn't use it much. Generally speaking, I would rather make a CUP of coffee vs a thimble of it. :LOL:

We used to have an old Nespresso machine and found that we just didn't use it much. Generally speaking, I would rather make a CUP of coffee vs a thimble of it. :LOL:
I haven't done it in awhile but I was making the Brown Sugar Shaken Oatmilk Espresso from Starbucks with it. Just made a little brown sugar simple syrup and put in in a squeeze bottle and put a little in a shaker. Make a couple shots of espresso in there then added the oatmilk, shake it, and pour it over ice. That was pretty tasty.

I had one in the office similar to this and it brewed great coffee.

Bunn BXB

I've always had decent luck with Cuisinart machines

It's a crap shoot- They are all built to a price point. My biggest beef with all of them is that they don't brew at the recommended temperature of 195-205 F.
My recent Black and Decker cheap drip machine is as good and the more expensive Braun that died.

I had one in the office similar to this and it brewed great coffee.

Bunn BXB
I didn't know Bunn was still around! It sorta looks like it belongs in a commercial setting.
The moccamaster machine my wife picked out after reading a ton of coffee snob reviews makes really good coffee.

I never really looked at the price. Apparently I have a $360 coffee machine. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/technivorm-moccamaster-kgb-select/
My buddy with the Breville tried the MoccaMaster and hated it as there were just too many parts and didn't do any better than his Breville. I do know that the MoccaMaster has been recommended by America's Test Kitchen in the past thought.
It's a crap shoot- They are all built to a price point. My biggest beef with all of them is that they don't brew at the recommended temperature of 195-205 F.
My recent Black and Decker cheap drip machine is as good and the more expensive Braun that died.
I think that's one of our issues, the temp is likely too high and the coffee tastes like it has been burnt but also doesn't have as much flavor as the Breville made coffee at our friends house.

Yeah, but was it GOOD coffee? ;)
Coffee snobs would argue (and be correct) that no drip machine makes GOOD coffee. Some better than others for sure, but it's not really the target audience they're designed for.

Last edited:
The base model of the target brand is really good. It gave very consistent results. Unlike the Williams Sonoma one I was forced to get because “it looks better on the counter”.

I didn't know Bunn was still around! It sorta looks like it belongs in a commercial setting.
Yeah, it's pretty industrial looking but the coffee is damned good.

We got a Ninja from Costco (CFP1000). The only thing that model didn't have is the frother. But we never needed it anyway. We replaced a Braun unit which was their SCA model. It was terrible, I wish we'd never bought that one.

Ninja CE251. We've had it a couple years. Pretty good coffee. Great features. The pour spout on the pot doesn't drip. Looks like it's $70 on Amazon today.

I am all in on my big glass pourover. I have the Bodum version and I use #4 cone filters in the stainless basket. The whole thing was $20 at Target.

It takes longer but the much, much better taste more than makes up for it IMO. Also you can control every aspect of the brewing process using the pour-over.

Back