Baltimore Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

It is a terrible tragedy, prayers go out to the friends and family of the deceased.

About 12 yrs ago i went over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge we were visiting our daughter .Now I have a fear of heights , we booked a taxi from the airport to our daughters and i had some eyeshields and music on my ipod . I read about that bridge disaster, truly awful

Tragic in so many ways. Very poor command on the ship. The backup generator is supposed to be up and running during any port activities, allowing for instantaneous switchover of power during an event such as what occurred. They also had a lot of time to drop the anchors, which wouldn't have stopped the vessel, but could have slowed it considerably. If they had dropped the anchors when they sent the distress call the bridge may well still be standing.
I am so glad to see the President is vowing to send money to the families of the illegal aliens the government employed to work on the bridge. (insert sarcasm here) Talk about brazen, in your face ignoring of Federal law.

Tragic in so many ways. Very poor command on the ship. The backup generator is supposed to be up and running during any port activities, allowing for instantaneous switchover of power during an event such as what occurred. They also had a lot of time to drop the anchors, which wouldn't have stopped the vessel, but could have slowed it considerably. If they had dropped the anchors when they sent the distress call the bridge may well still be standing.
I am so glad to see the President is vowing to send money to the families of the illegal aliens the government employed to work on the bridge. (insert sarcasm here) Talk about brazen, in your face ignoring of Federal law.
I’m also surprised anchors were not dropped. With two pilots aboard, i would think that one of them would have considered it an option, even as a last resort. I’m guessing it was a bit chaotic on the bridge during the situation. No matter what, it’s a terrible result.

Baltimore police got the call and blocked off the north side but as they were ordering someone to go alert the crew and go to the south side of the bridge to block the officer says the bridge is gone. No one can’t get to the other side. The whole bridge is in the river. 😱

There’s audio of the police on Twitter.

Very scary. The whole thing comes down in seconds. Wow

I've watched the video multiple times, it's hard to believe they're real and not an animation.

Thoughts go out to all who were injured or lost their lives in this event

I’m also surprised anchors were not dropped. With two pilots aboard, i would think that one of them would have considered it an option, even as a last resort. I’m guessing it was a bit chaotic on the bridge during the situation. No matter what, it’s a terrible result.
Anchor was dropped, port side

Scrolling social medias and seeing the idiots with conspiracies about this is just insane.

Scrolling social medias and seeing the idiots with conspiracies about this is just insane.
we live in a world where skepticism is encouraged and reality is optional.

Those morons know absolutely nothing about shipping, physics, or engineering.
Did you ask them? I'm sure they are internet experts because they gave it a google. <--Sarcasm

However, yes it's sad. I'm sure people who have never been on a boat are saying how it could have been stopped before - let alone on something that size.

Not everything is a conspiracy or an evil plot. Sometimes terrible things happen and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

we live in a world where skepticism is encouraged and reality is optional.

I would say we live in a world that amplifies the wrong voices.

I wish so many places would stop reporting on the same 3-4 people who always do this. Probably gets them more followers TBH

Anyway, about the tragedy, I haven't read all of the reporting because I've been traveling but it actually sounds like some of the work was pretty incredible by local authorities. I saw a story that said they had something like <60 seconds to shut down the bridge after the distress warning. Sounds like a lot of lives were saved also

Did you ask them? I'm sure they are internet experts because they gave it a google. <--Sarcasm

However, yes it's sad. I'm sure people who have never been on a boat are saying how it could have been stopped before - let alone on something that size.

Not everything is a conspiracy or an evil plot. Sometimes terrible things happen and it's absolutely heartbreaking.
Seems like the majority of people live in a world where everything is a conspiracy or evil plot.

When this occurred my first thought followed @mikeg_74 of this being a cybersecurity incident. I recently did some work for a large global shipping firm & learning how much they rely on fairly insecure or how limited protections they have in place to secure the ships was crazy.

Unfortunately with the lack of decent incident investigation guidelines to support the new reporting guidelines for critical infrastructure if it was a true cyber incident we may never know.

Either way, huge tragedy and horrible for everyone involved.

When this occurred my first thought followed @mikeg_74 of this being a cybersecurity incident. I recently did some work for a large global shipping firm & learning how much they rely on fairly insecure or how limited protections they have in place to secure the ships was crazy.

Unfortunately with the lack of decent incident investigation guidelines to support the new reporting guidelines for critical infrastructure if it was a true cyber incident we may never know.

Either way, huge tragedy and horrible for everyone involved.
I think to not feed the crazies it's best to keep the investigation close to the vest. Some will say it's gov protecting themselves, but as you know the cyber vulnerabilities on these ships and utility infrastructures are real.

My CIO is a former DOD and being in the O&G industry gets briefed all the time. I am sure on some levels we will get information if for nothing to secure, protect and monitor our PCN networks based on intel.

I'll admit that the first time I saw it, I thought it was fake—some kind of CGI or movie effect. The way it just goes down like that was crazy.

very sad to those who lost their lives.

I'll admit that the first time I saw it, I thought it was fake—some kind of CGI or movie effect. The way it just goes down like that was crazy.

very sad to those who lost their lives.

They immediately closed the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi for weeks based on about a 4-inch gap in a support found during an inspection. That should give an idea of the seriousness.

Engineering is a wonderful thing and there are absolutely a lot of others much more educated than me (@RabidWombats), but in many cases, it's the very forces which threaten to collapse the bridge which allow it to stand - or the even distribution of those forces. We saw the same thing in the condo collapse in Miami and on 9/11. Remove the support for the load in one or just a few critical places and suddenly the other supports are overloaded and it becomes a stack of dominoes. Unfortunately there's no realistic way to ensure that never happens without massive over-engineering, which creates its own set of problems from both a cost and engineering (often weight) perspective.

The scale is so hard to comprehend from the pictures. Just one of those “boxes” fits on an 18-wheeler. Kinda mind blowing.

C89A9220-4D59-40EA-B51A-5C48A6575430.jpeg

A bad accident to be sure. Our thoughts go out to those lost, and injured.

In the aftermath, I read that the owner of the vessel is going to try to use an 1851 law, that will limit their amount of liability. The last time it was used was for the Titanic sinking.

Last edited:
Seems like the majority of people live in a world where everything is a conspiracy or evil plot.
Sounds like something someone involved in a secret plot would say...

Dog Reaction GIF

Back