thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone here ever really work on their balance and how were your results? I'll be taking lessons soon, but would like to work on this a bit before that.

My balance is pretty bad, I step out of almost every shot, but its pretty much became a part of my swing in general.

I try to work that into every range session. But, some of that is not just balance, it's all related to an 85% swing and working on solid contact. One of the keys for me, is to really concentrate just on the balance portion, with a good follow through and holding the finish until the balls lands. I had to ignore how the balls feels at impact and ignore the ball flight. The only thing that matters, in this drill, is whether I was balanced and able to hold my finish, w/o wobbling around.

Some balance issues are due to too narrow of a stance. I think most instructors like the outside of the shoulders to be inline with the inside edges of the feet.

Good info, thanks for the reply. Are there any indoor drill's that help balance in general during this snowy weather?

Some balance issues are due to too narrow of a stance.

YES! I have to constantly remind myself to widen my stance, and when I do my ball striking improves instantly. I'm long waisted (extra vertebrae) so my center of gravity is a little whacked anyway. Widening my stance also helps keep me from over rotating going back which also helps with me maintain balance. In fact, I would rather have too wide of a stance than too narrow.

This has been one of my focus points at the range so far this year. When I want to work on it, all I do is focus on the finish. Every bit of my swing is focused on finishing in a good position. It usually forces me to slow down and ends up leading to better contact. Like Gary Player says, you gotta "pose for the camera!"

Thanks to you few who responded, I'll work on a wider stance and I liked the idea around my finish, something I seldom think about.

My hope this year is to concentrate on balance and tempo, so any help is appreciated.

Wider stance is not the way to go imo.

I like feet together drill. So feet together...you just swing your arms back and through and let the body react to that. Try and keep your arms straight and wide going back and on the follow through. The key is let the arms dictate what the body does. People fall off balance when they try and get their whole lower body involved in hitting the ball and overdo it.

Grab a wedge...make half swings with just the arms...start back with the arms...start down with the arms...you'll see the body reacts correctly to this without any other thought and you'll finish in balance everytime.

Wider stance is not the way to go imo.

I like feet together drill. So feet together...you just swing your arms back and through and let the body react to that. Try and keep your arms straight and wide going back and on the follow through. The key is let the arms dictate what the body does. People fall off balance when they try and get their whole lower body involved in hitting the ball and overdo it.

Grab a wedge...make half swings with just the arms...start back with the arms...start down with the arms...you'll see the body reacts correctly to this without any other thought and you'll finish in balance everytime.

Good stuff here March, thanks. I'll get at this. I remember hearing others talk about this feet together drill.

Sounds like me. I've actually narrowed my stance with my main focus being getting to my left side. Hard to step out when my weight is on my left side.

A wider stance makes it harder to turn back properly or so my pro tells me.

Correct and it makes it easier to sway backwards and makes it harder to get to your left side. Tiger's driver stance is like shoulder width at best and he lashes at it and finishes in nice balance.

Danger for me is swaying rather than turning. So I drill on completing a swing keeping my head still back and through. Indoors, I just swing my arms, trying to shake right hands with someone 'behind' me and left hands with someone in front (note! I am a leftie)

Correct and it makes it easier to sway backwards and makes it harder to get to your left side. Tiger's driver stance is like shoulder width at best and he lashes at it and finishes in nice balance.

I noticed this today, looked like Tiger really goes after the ball with a narrow stance, yet compeletly balanced.

Off to work, but thanks all for the input.

I have been told same thing and actually swing much better with a more narrow stance. My driver swing like this works the best, feet as wide as shoulder and I turn much better and get back to my left side in balance. Also drive it straighter that way and longer.

Tadashi pointed this out to me last year. Makes a big difference when you finish over your front foot.

This is a good drill for balance, duey. Make sure to not do it in too deep of water, haha.

Tadashi pointed this out to me last year. Makes a big difference when you finish over your front foot.

This is a good drill for balance, duey. Make sure to not do it in too deep of water, haha.

Lol, ok Mr Miagi

Feet together drill is definitely a great one.

Also, you can do any number of exercises on a fitness ball or balance board. Doing so definitely increases your balance. However, it's considered an advanced technique, so be sure you have solid form on the exercise before adding the balance component.

Feet together drill is definitely a great one.

Also, you can do any number of exercises on a fitness ball or balance board. Doing so definitely increases your balance. However, it's considered an advanced technique, so be sure you have solid form on the exercise before adding the balance component.

Do you have any links that show this exercise or info on how to do it properly? I don't want to break my neck, haha

Do you have any links that show this exercise or info on how to do it properly? I don't want to break my neck, haha

Nothing in particular, but for example, if you're doing bench presses with dumbells on a bench, if you lay on a exercise ball instead, you're forced to maintain your balance as well as do the presses.

However, if you do a google search for "balance exercises" you'll find tons of stuff.

If you want a golf-specific exercise routine which includes balance exercises, http://kaifitnessforgolf.com has them. It's a bit pricey though.

This link also has some good information:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/balance-your-way-to-stronger-body

Thanks for the links, some interesting info here. A little core training mixed in sure wouldn't hurt anything and very possibly part of my balance problem. I started stretching work last year and have seen good results, so hopefully this and range work can help get me back to center. Thanks again.

My ball striking completely fell apart over the last month. I finally got in for a lesson, and my teacher pointed out that my balance was terrible. I was swaying to far back and and then to far toward the target. One of the at home drills he gave me was to practice my swing with a medicine ball instead of the club. Basically get in your address stance, holding the ball between your palms and swing like its a club. The key is to feel like you are turning on the axis of your spine, keeping your weight centered between your insteps. You have to really focus on keeping the lower body quiet and centered with that much weight at the hands. My swing thought in the drill is a still lower body, but I'm actually getting a proper weight shift. Makes it a lot easier to keep your balance once you replace the med ball with a club. The drill has really helped me in just a couple of days. I'm striking the ball much better now.

My ball striking completely fell apart over the last month. I finally got in for a lesson, and my teacher pointed out that my balance was terrible. I was swaying to far back and and then to far toward the target. One of the at home drills he gave me was to practice my swing with a medicine ball instead of the club. Basically get in your address stance, holding the ball between your palms and swing like its a club. The key is to feel like you are turning on the axis of your spine, keeping your weight centered between your insteps. You have to really focus on keeping the lower body quiet and centered with that much weight at the hands. My swing thought in the drill is a still lower body, but I'm actually getting a proper weight shift. Makes it a lot easier to keep your balance once you replace the med ball with a club. The drill has really helped me in just a couple of days. I'm striking the ball much better now.

Thanks for this info. I was turning much better mid-season last year and sort of lost it into more of a sway than anything. I can see this as a possible huge help, thank you!

Stand up when watching tv or whatever - lift one foot off the ground arms out - too easy arms in - too easy eyes closed
move to foot on inside of other knee same progession
another one with a good quad stretch is grab toes of one foot (behind butt)

Also when you set up try to feel like you are pushing your heels into the dirt and don't come off them into your toes at any point - made a big difference for me as I tended to get out on my toes & "step out" as well

Thanks for the links, some interesting info here. A little core training mixed in sure wouldn't hurt anything and very possibly part of my balance problem. I started stretching work last year and have seen good results, so hopefully this and range work can help get me back to center. Thanks again.

The problem isn't core or balance issues...its due to improper sequencing. I'll explain below.

This drill, he's ONLY focusing on swinging the ball. When you swing the ball thus swinging your arms back and forth your weight will transfer automatically, the hips will turn back and through automatically and all is well in the universe. You have two major parts to your swing...arm swing and body rotation and they need to match. When they do you're balance will be better instantly.

I won't link it but there's a good article written by my coach "Get your arm swing and pivot in sync". Would be a good read for ya and has a drill to do in it.

Playing hockey, I do a lot of balance training. Single leg squats will help with your balance, as well as taking swings balancing on your left leg.

Back