Bag Boy Volt Electric Cart

I have seen a few early adopters with batteries draining more than expected. I have had no issues. 3 green lights out of 4 after 18 holes. I put the battery on the charger within 24 hours of the round played and take it off the charger soon after charger light is green. Is this the protocol most are using? Most the courses I have played are fairly flat, with some basins and hills.
Yep, I charge it as soon as I can. Was expecting there would be battery problems. Was hoping it wouldn't be me but stuff happens ...

I worry about my battery every round. When I'm done 18 I'm always down to 1 light. So far it's completed each round and as long as I get 18 holes I'm fine with that. It's guaranteed for 2 years. Mine drops slowly as I play. It seems to be at 3 lights after the first 9 but goes to 2 lights after the 10th. Im at 1 light by 16 and it has stayed there until.i put it in the car. I watch it closely.
So did you get thru all 18 then? It will be interesting to see what they tell you. If you need a contact to someone at bag boy let me know. I still have Pats info and he's been very good at listening and getting answers. Hopefully they respond back to you quickly.
Rod

I worry about my battery every round. When I'm done 18 I'm always down to 1 light. So far it's completed each round and as long as I get 18 holes I'm fine with that. It's guaranteed for 2 years. Mine drops slowly as I play. It seems to be at 3 lights after the first 9 but goes to 2 lights after the 10th. Im at 1 light by 16 and it has stayed there until.i put it in the car. I watch it closely.
So did you get thru all 18 then? It will be interesting to see what they tell you. If you need a contact to someone at bag boy let me know. I still have Pats info and he's been very good at listening and getting answers. Hopefully they respond back to you quickly.
Rod
Living out here in the middle of the pacific, you have to be prepared. I bought two units when they became available. I don't think anyone on the island carries the Bag Boy Volt yet. From my experience with Alphard's V2, I knew I might need a backup battery or remote. I carried the spare so I finished the round easily. If this battery craps out, I still have my V2 as a backup. I'll keep you posted, should have a response next week.

It has arrived. Incredibly fast shipping; arrived in two days.

IMG_2365.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg
First impression - granted there’s no battery in it yet, but it’s really light. That’s a benefit if I did have to use it manually.

Where’s the sand bottle go? It’s not apparent to me. Do I need to install the bracket that came with the bottle or is there a slot that the bottle slides into? Found it once I opened up the bag "arms" at the top.

Battery and remote are charging. Hoping I can do a test run around the block before the rain comes. I live on a hill, so it should be a good initial test.

Last edited:
Successful first test run. This is my first e-cart, so I don't have any preconceived notions on how to operate it. Did a quick run through the manual to get the main highlights, but nothing makes you learn like doing it. The remote is pretty intuitive and I got the hang of it fairly quickly. I need to get in the habit of hitting the button on the cart to restart after a stop instead of the remote as doing that resets it to the lowest speed and needs to be pushed multiple times to get back up to the typical speed I was using. I didn't go above the middle speed, but once I get it on a course, I'll open it up to see how it does.

Did a quick loop around my street. Like I mentioned, I live on the top of a hill, so I had to go down and come back up. Granted it was on pavement, but the Volt handled it with ease. Coming down the hill it didn't run away and coming back up, it didn't pop a wheelie. I had the fourth wheel fully extended just in case, but it's likely I may not need to use it.

My oldest was behind me with the dog watching the test run and when he caught back up, he said that's its "pretty cool". That's high praise from an 18 year old who rarely has anything to say :LOL:

What's everyone's opinion on leaving in or taking out the battery when not in use? Not sure if either way would affect the battery life any. I took it out, but it's probably no different than a cordless drill where leaving it plugged in doesn't affect anything.

Now I wait patiently until courses open and I put it through a round.

Successful first test run. This is my first e-cart, so I don't have any preconceived notions on how to operate it. Did a quick run through the manual to get the main highlights, but nothing makes you learn like doing it. The remote is pretty intuitive and I got the hang of it fairly quickly. I need to get in the habit of hitting the button on the cart to restart after a stop instead of the remote as doing that resets it to the lowest speed and needs to be pushed multiple times to get back up to the typical speed I was using. I didn't go above the middle speed, but once I get it on a course, I'll open it up to see how it does.

Did a quick loop around my street. Like I mentioned, I live on the top of a hill, so I had to go down and come back up. Granted it was on pavement, but the Volt handled it with ease. Coming down the hill it didn't run away and coming back up, it didn't pop a wheelie. I had the fourth wheel fully extended just in case, but it's likely I may not need to use it.

My oldest was behind me with the dog watching the test run and when he caught back up, he said that's its "pretty cool". That's high praise from an 18 year old who rarely has anything to say :LOL:

What's everyone's opinion on leaving in or taking out the battery when not in use? Not sure if either way would affect the battery life any. I took it out, but it's probably no different than a cordless drill where leaving it plugged in doesn't affect anything.

Did you do the test run, with or without your bag ? I leave the battery out, probably no effect either way ... When do courses open up in your area ?

Saw these at the store and got to touch and feel.
Funny thing is that I am not even in the market for a cart/electric cart! It’s just been fun following this thread…for maybe when I can retire and play all kinds of golf and will walk my rounds.
What is really cool is that it can just turn to a normal pushcart (for whatever reason you deem necessary). There was an MGI next to it and just seemed like a tank. I would prefer light and nimble.

Again, I find it strange that I am even spending time in this thread. I may have a problem 🤣

Funny thing is that I am not even in the market for a cart/electric cart! It’s just been fun following this thread…for maybe when I can retire and play all kinds of golf and will walk my rounds.
What is really cool is that it can just turn to a normal pushcart (for whatever reason you deem necessary). There was an MGI next to it and just seemed like a tank. I would prefer light and nimble.

Again, I find it strange that I am even spending time in this thread. I may have a problem 🤣
Yeah I love the ability to simply push a button to turn it into a regular push cart. I actually did that a few times when I was very nervous about the terrain I was on spur of the moment. I think with the MGI Navigator you need to do something with the wheels to turn it into a normal pushcart. Seems very non user friendly.

Are you saying if you restart with the button it goes back to your last speed rather than lowest speed With remote? I hadn’t noticed that…..

I love hearing the story's from others using this cart. I still am excited for the opportunity to use my cart. It's so smooth and quiet operating. Its made my rounds easier to get thru. Hope to put 3 maybe 4 rounds on this week.
Rod

Has anyone using a BagBoy Chiller or other Top Loc bag removed the top bungee strap? The Top Loc holds the bag so well the bungee strap is not needed. I just stuff it in some of the openings to get it out of the way. But removing it altogether would be nice. I don’t want to cut it off in case I ever use a bag without Top Loc.

Its what is lost on a lot of these honestly. Every electric cart user has had to push at some point in the parking lot to navigate cars or something. This simple feature is one of the best. The idea that this is a push cart that is also electric vs an electric cart that is a pain in the ass to push.

My 2 cents opinion relative to manual mode from someone who had had 3 different electric remote carts spanning 10 years and probably close to 1,000 rounds in that timeframe.

In the past 2 years (200+ rounds) with my Zip Navigator I have never used it in manual mode once I get to course. I just use the controls on the handle if I need to stay close to it. Have played multiple rounds of 30 holes in one day with lots of battery life and 36 holes over 2 days (forget to recharge battery or other reason) multiple times. Have never experienced a dead battery on course with the MGI (touch wood). I know how to switch over both wheels to engage manual and literally takes 30 seconds so not a big deal if I had to.

Previously to the MGI, the only time I every used manual mode was on my BatCaddy in its last year when something major was up with electronics and it was a quick switch but with the lead battery was a brute to push up steep holes. Luckily the axle snapped before first round with new battery so decision to upgrade was an easy one.

I think the Volt looks like a great option in electric carts and not putting it down in any way but I must be a one-off but ease of switching to/from manual mode is way down the list of features I look for in an electric cart.

Some charging tips for extending the life of lithium ion batteries in the video. This is geared towards smartphones but applies to all lithium ion batteries. In summary heat is bad as is leaving a battery at 100% or 0% for long periods of time. They are happiest between 80% to 20% state of charge. I have an extra battery for my V2 as I‘ll get much longer life by recharging them when they reach 20-50% state of charge vs running it below 20%. In temperatures above 55°, I can get 36 holes out of it but I normally charge it after each round when it still has about 40-50% left. I try not to leave them charged 100% for a day or more and normally charge them up just a few hours before my round. I store and charge them inside the house.

Tucson, I have removed both top and bottom straps on my volt. I've got at least 4 rounds without them. No issues what so ever. That lock system is a fantastic way to play. I will always have a bag and cart that has it from this point forward. Fantastic upgrade to have.

Tucson, I have removed both top and bottom straps on my volt. I've got at least 4 rounds without them. No issues what so ever. That lock system is a fantastic way to play. I will always have a bag and cart that has it from this point forward. Fantastic upgrade to have.
There are a ton of reviews on this feature on the Nitron thread as well as ZTF. It’s a huge add for golfers to rid of straps.

There are a ton of reviews on this feature on the Nitron thread as well as ZTF. It’s a huge add for golfers to rid of straps.
Thanks JB and Rod. I will check out Nitron and ZTF reviews on removing the straps. At initial glance it looked like there is molded strain relief holding them on.

Did you do the test run, with or without your bag ? I leave the battery out, probably no effect either way ... When do courses open up in your area ?

Test run was with a full bag. There are a scattering of courses open, but there's probably another couple / few weeks before the majority of them open.

Are you saying if you restart with the button it goes back to your last speed rather than lowest speed With remote? I hadn’t noticed that…..

I think so, at least that what it seemed like to me. I was using the remote almost exclusively and after a stop, hitting the forward button on the remote started the cart at the lowest speed. I'll confirm the cart starts at the last speed setting if you push the cart button during my next test run.

That was one of the things I ask about the cart after my 2nd round. I've gotten use to now holding the forward button down until it reaches the speed I need.
I do find that I am always searching for a speed to match my walking pace. It's just a little to slow or a little to fast. But since this cart is so smooth and easy to control I run it out in front of me then I did with my previous cart.
Rod

Pretty hilly course today and again had 3 green lights at the end.

Pretty hilly course today and again had 3 green lights at the end.
After your next round, check to see if battery and console show the same amount of bars. After my round today, my console meter showed 3 bars but when I looked at the battery, 2 bars ...

I also noticed that when you stop your cart, the console brake light comes on. I'm thinking this is a drain on the battery as it is drawing juice to apply the brakes. During the course of a round, you spend a lot of time stopped on the tee box, fairway and putting green. Putting your cart in manual mode turns off the brake light. The next round I play (Wed) I'm going put it in manual mode whenever possible, Friday I'll leave it as is and see if there is a difference.

After your next round, check to see if battery and console show the same amount of bars. After my round today, my console meter showed 3 bars but when I looked at the battery, 2 bars ...

I also noticed that when you stop your cart, the console brake light comes on. I'm thinking this is a drain on the battery as it is drawing juice to apply the brakes. During the course of a round, you spend a lot of time stopped on the tee box, fairway and putting green. Putting your cart in manual mode turns off the brake light. The next round I play (Wed) I'm going put it in manual mode whenever possible, Friday I'll leave it as is and see if there is a difference.
Waldo0007, I will check tomorrow. I have not looked at the console display. I can say when I plug the battery into the charger the third green light is blinking with two solid green lights.

Just over 70 miles on my BagBoy Volt. At round end I had 3 green lights on the battery but the console showed 4 green lights. I did have one anomaly. On the 16th hole the remote stopped working. I tried switching back and forth between remote and manual but none of the remote’s buttons worked. But the cart did move with the console control knob so I used it to continue down the fairway. When I got to my ball I tried the remote again and it worked just fine and continued working the rest of the round. Must have done something to cause this but not sure what. Not sure if anyone else has commented on this but the manual says the lock and unlock lights blink when the remote battery is low on charge. But in the bright sun it was impossible for me to see the lights. The Volt stays much cleaner after the round than my previous MGI ZIP Nav AT. Also, the best “mod” I have done is adding rubber bumpers to the Forward, Left, Right and Stop buttons. Now each button easy to find and engage without looking.

Back