Back Up Putter(s)

BriMac

Team Vosh 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fluctuates
Anyone just switch up putters just for the heck of it? Your gamer is fine, but want to try something different?

I do it often. Not sure if it's helpful or hurtful.

If I have a few particularly bad rounds my current gamer gets put in time out for a bit. If the replacement putter then gets particularly hot, it may inherit the gamer roll for a while…it’s a fluid situation, but I won’t turn my back on a hot putter.

Nope. Used the tri hot 5k for a bit but once the grandaddy 21 Toulon Austin showed up, its been in the bag ever since.

I have one other putter right now. I don’t switch up often but am planning on adding a new one to the bag in the near future

I have a staff bag full of them and get crazy every now and then and roll with one of them out of the bag.

Keeps the dust off of them right?

I have a rotation of 3 putters, with 1 clear outright winner (Cleveland HB Soft Milled 1 with All In); 1 very servicable Scotty Newport; and the 3rd is an Odyssey 11 that I mix in when feeling mallet-y. The Odyssey 11 is also the putter I used in one of my best scoring/competition seasons in 2022.

Odyssey 11 went in play today on a whim and it was glorious.

I love having options to mix it up - it introduces the hope of something better, which I think is helpful/motivating.

I have a staff bag full of them and get crazy every now and then and roll with one of them out of the bag.

Keeps the dust off of them right?
Dust collecting not allowed. Use em or lose em.

Anyone just switch up putters just for the heck of it? Your gamer is fine, but want to try something different?

I do it all the time but when it matters there is one that makes the bag right @Nate

Yeah. I rotate a few. Pretty sure it’s not optimizing my score but also pretty sure it optimizes my enjoyment. Playing with different gear is fun

Yeah. I rotate a few. Pretty sure it’s not optimizing my score but also pretty sure it optimizes my enjoyment. Playing with different gear is fun
Exactly!!!

Yep. I keep a few and put one in play for a round every once in awhile. Keeps my acquisition rate lower.

I do it every once in a while. My main gamer will always get used in important play, when the score might be important.

I have three other putters, that I have a lot of confidence in.

My newest one is a broom stick Rail Gun putter I purchased for $4 at Goodwill. I really like practicing with it, and I make a lot of putts with it. I've already been offered $50 for it by the same guy a few times.

I do it every once in a while. My main gamer will always get used in important play, when the score might be important.

I have three other putters, that I have a lot of confidence in.

My newest one is a broom stick Rail Gun putter I purchased for $4 at Goodwill. I really like practicing with it, and I make a lot of putts with it. I've already been offered $50 for it by the same guy a few times.
I do ponder a broomstick. At $4 I am in! Hah

I've got 3 that all get play- it's probably not great for me to do so, but it's more fun this way haha.

Lol. I just bought a Jailbird Mini and my Triple Wide is fantastic for me.

I'm just enamored with the Jailbird look/shape.

I do ponder a broomstick. At $4 I am in! Hah
I purchased a Rail Gun, 33" putter a few decades ago. A guy was building the first ones in his garage. I called him, answered his spec questions, and he built it. It was the first "way too expensive" club I ever purchased. I still have it.

I used it untill I got tired of answering legality questions about it. I had paperwork that it was. USGA legal.

My thought with the broom stick model was to remove the long shaft, and build another 33" model.

After trying the long shafted version, I was pleasantly, surprised and decided to leave it as is.

On another note, there was also a JPX broom stick putter that I purchased at the same time, same price. Just for fun, I removed the shaft, and place 37* degree "chipper" head on it. I've messed around with it at the chipping, practice green, and it's become quite a conversation piece among older golfers, with sore backs. Less bending over is the draw.. On a lark, I turn this club info over to my lawyer, just in case.

Lol. I just bought a Jailbird Mini and my Triple Wide is fantastic for me.

I'm just enamored with the Jailbird look/shape.
Yeah - it looks amazing. They struck gold with that I think.

Nope. It's like a Motorcycle, each one reacts different in curves so takes a while to get used to.
Now only have one Bike and one Putter.
Although I do miss the Naked K.

Yes, way too often. Probably hurts me TBH but I enjoy it.

I seem to burn so many edges, or have putts turn away at the last second, that I am constantly switching putters in and out hoping one will find the magic and putts will start dropping!

Yeah I guess my backup is the Odyssey Tri hot 5k Double Wide with KBS GPS shaft that I can't seem to offload. It's a great putter and I use it all the time on the mat in my work office. But I'm committed to the Omoi 4 Trophy this year.

I do it all the time. I don’t think it is necessarily good for your game but I like trying different clubs.

Back