Metallica rules. :)
Especially live or with a philharmonic orchestra (also live)

At home I've connected my Yamaha RS700 stereo receiver to a set of Dali Concep 2 speakers (Dali = Danish loudspeaker manufacturor). These speakers a a little bit on the small size (bigger sized bookshelf type), looking for a set of floorstanding "room fillers", like B&W 683 or Dali Ikon 6. The only "problem" is my better half ;-)

Ah, the WAF! My brother in law, Terry London, became a reviewer for hometheaterreview.com and he's been reviewing a bunch of flour and bookshelf speakers in the 1k-3k range. He has tried to convince me to replace my 1.6's but my wife likes the look of them too much.

I wanted to get Aerial Accoustic floor speakers he reviewed. My buddy got the bookshelf version and he also bought the LSA. I think I need a dedicated room to get the speakers I want.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Mostly into HT and I want to feel like I am right there at the concert when a concert DVD is popped in.

Epson UB6500 projector
134" motorized screen (with Pio Elite 50" plasma behind the screen)
JTR triple 12LF speakers for LCR
2 JTR passive Captivator subs
B&W DM603s rears
Emotiva XPA-5 amp
Crest CC4000 amp for subs

I'm still dialing everything in but love the way the room shakes when it's turned up!

My home theater is all I need (for now!):

Vizio LED TV
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2
Vizio Blu-Ray VBR337
Carver wall-mounted fronts/center
Cambridge Soundworks S205 rear
Infinity Primus PS312 sub

I used to run a 7.2 system but after a rearrangement in the room, I lost out and gave up my back speakers and a 8" sub I had ran in-line with my center channel only. I miss that given the slightly smaller speakers I have up front but the 12" picks up just fine. On a simple set-up like mine, where would I get the most bang for my buck in an upgrade?

Currently in the market for a new home theater system. Ive made my mind on an A/V receiver, Pioneer Elite SC-63.

As for speakers, im leaning toward the B&W CM9, Martin Logan Motion 40, or Kef 900.

I will continue to use my Velodyne sub and replace it with a Def Tech supercube down the road.

Im going for 3.1 set up for and a 2.1 for music ie blue ray music videos and SACD. There will also be some gaming such as Call of Duty.

Anyone with experience with any of those speaker brands?

Sent from my Samsung S2 using Tapatalk 2

Currently in the market for a new home theater system. Ive made my mind on an A/V receiver, Pioneer Elite SC-63.

As for speakers, im leaning toward the B&W CM9, Martin Logan Motion 40, or Kef 900.

I will continue to use my Velodyne sub and replace it with a Def Tech supercube down the road.

Im going for 3.1 set up for and a 2.1 for music ie blue ray music videos and SACD. There will also be some gaming such as Call of Duty.

It sounds like you are well on your way to a great setup. I've heard a 12" Velodyne sub in action and I'm not sure how much you'd gain with the supercube. I haven't heard any of those before but Def Tec is known to put out great subs.

I was going to suggest looking at the Denon line for receivers. A friend of mine loves the network capabilities of those and being able to use his phone to adjust the volume from anywhere.

As far as the speakers go. I personally think "quality" in speakers in that price range is personal opinion and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Find a shop where you can flip between them while listening to music you like and the answer will come to you.

It sounds like you are well on your way to a great setup. I've heard a 12" Velodyne sub in action and I'm not sure how much you'd gain with the supercube. I haven't heard any of those before but Def Tec is known to put out great subs.

I was going to suggest looking at the Denon line for receivers. A friend of mine loves the network capabilities of those and being able to use his phone to adjust the volume from anywhere.

As far as the speakers go. I personally think "quality" in speakers in that price range is personal opinion and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Find a shop where you can flip between them while listening to music you like and the answer will come to you.

The addition of the supercube isnt really for extra performance but mainly that is less than half the size of my Velodyne with the same amount of punch. Thats why I will add that towards the end of the project.

I will head to Houston this weekend and hope to find a nice HT store that has more speakers for me to demo than back home. Based upon my reviews have help narrowed my search but of course the demo may or may not make my decision easier!

Great plan. Best of luck in the bigger city!

I think getting the right speakers is a little like selecting a new golf club. Each person has his own personal preferences. In the price range you're considering, you can't go wrong with any of the models you mentioned. It comes down to a blind listening test with the music or movies you will be using them for to really help you make up your mind.

Great plan. Best of luck in the bigger city!

I think getting the right speakers is a little like selecting a new golf club. Each person has his own personal preferences. In the price range you're considering, you can't go wrong with any of the models you mentioned. It comes down to a blind listening test with the music or movies you will be using them for to really help you make up your mind.

That and the WAF :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Just a quick bump for this one :) currently working in this industry and you just can't beat it!

Buy anything yet?
IMO: forget the CM9s. The other two speaker options are better values... But try Paradigm's stuff... They rule the performance/price equation!

I'm new to golf but not to the home audio/theater hobby. I've owned countless brands of electronics, speakers, and subwoofers over the last 15 years. Although, like any hobby, audio/video preferences are very subjective, I wouldn't think of buying any home theater processor or receiver without Audyssey XT32 room correction capabilities at a minimum, or a subwoofer from anyone other than an internet direct brand. Speaker preferences my vary.....
Cheers,

Metallica rules. :)
Especially live or with a philharmonic orchestra (also live)

At home I've connected my Yamaha RS700 stereo receiver to a set of Dali Concep 2 speakers (Dali = Danish loudspeaker manufacturor). These speakers a a little bit on the small size (bigger sized bookshelf type), looking for a set of floorstanding "room fillers", like B&W 683 or Dali Ikon 6. The only "problem" is my better half ;-)

Recently I hooked a Sonos wireless system on the above.
The Sonos system I have chosen is a Sonos Connect base station and a Play:5 speaker for our kitchen. Connected to my NAS for the music and my receiver as output for the livingroom.
Works faaaaaantastic!

I am a big def tec fan. Full setup at my place and the sound is amazing. Towers in the front with built in subs, and just added a Polk audio cube to fill some of the 60-80hz tones. Running off of a Denon receiver. Only problem is when it gets too loud, I think the receiver overheats and shuts off...it's a few years old, but was expensive enough so shouldnt be seeing this. Anyone else ever have this issue? Maybe it's just time for an upgrade?

I am a big def tec fan. Full setup at my place and the sound is amazing. Towers in the front with built in subs, and just added a Polk audio cube to fill some of the 60-80hz tones. Running off of a Denon receiver. Only problem is when it gets too loud, I think the receiver overheats and shuts off...it's a few years old, but was expensive enough so shouldnt be seeing this. Anyone else ever have this issue? Maybe it's just time for an upgrade?

Is your amp in a cabinet? Has it got ventilation? I sell AV cabinets and we get a lot of people thinking their amps are over heating due to over using them, but a lot of the time it works out to be over heating due to no ventilation

Recently I hooked a Sonos wireless system on the above.
The Sonos system I have chosen is a Sonos Connect base station and a Play:5 speaker for our kitchen. Connected to my NAS for the music and my receiver as output for the livingroom.
Works faaaaaantastic!

Exact same system as me :) just adding an play 3 in my sisters room for Xmas :)

Exact same system as me :) just adding an play 3 in my sisters room for Xmas :)

Add 2 Play:3 speakers and set it up as a stereo pair, Your sis will love it. ;-)

Thanks bigmc... The tower it is in is open in front and back, but a bit crowded. It only happens at high volume, high bass scenes...

I use two play 5s in the kitchen :)

OK well it might be worth buying some computer fans and using the 12v out of the amp to run them?

The fans is a good suggestion. Not sure what Denon model you have, but a friend of mine had a Denon and the built-in fan stopped working.

Thanlks guys. I'll give it a try. its the Denon AVR-3806, however not sure its an overheating thing since I can get it to happen right away when I crank it, regardless of how long its been on. Stinks, I love the receiver and love to trun it up, but its ponly 5 years old and I dont even want to think of replacing it yet...

Thanlks guys. I'll give it a try. its the Denon AVR-3806, however not sure its an overheating thing since I can get it to happen right away when I crank it, regardless of how long its been on. Stinks, I love the receiver and love to trun it up, but its ponly 5 years old and I dont even want to think of replacing it yet...

Sounds like its tripping out then, and putting itself into protection mode, might be worth sending into denon and letting them have a check, their service is amazing

I am a two-channel audio guy.

Current setup:

MacBook Pro (using Audirvana Plus software) > TotalDac usb cable & filter > | Berkeley Alpha USB converter > Siltech HF-9 aes/ebu interconnect > | Bel Canto DAC 2.5 digital to analog converter > Nordost Heimdall xlr interconnects > | Jeff Rowland Capri ​preamp > Omega Mikro Excalibur xlr interconnects > | Blue Circle Audio BC202 power amp > MG Audio Planus III speaker cables > | Revel Ultima Gem speakers| 2 x Revel Performa3 B110 subwoofers | Sablon Audio Gran Corona power cords | Blue Circle Audio PLC Thingee power conditioner.

Also, GIK Acoustic room treatments, and Mapleshade, Symposium Acoustics and Boston Audio isolation accessories.

Sure, it is a bit of a geeky hobby, but it brings me happiness. Actually the gear doesn't make me happy, but the music played through it sure does.

Last edited:
I am a two-channel audio guy.

Current setup:

MacBook Pro (using Audirvana Plus software) > TotalDac usb cable & filter > | Berkeley Alpha USB converter > Siltech HF-9 aes/ebu interconnect > | Bel Canto DAC 2.5 digital to analog converter > Nordost Heimdall xlr interconnects > | Jeff Rowland Capri ​preamp > Omega Mikro Excalibur xlr interconnects > | Blue Circle Audio BC202 power amp > MG Audio Planus III speaker cables > | Revel Ultima Gem speakers| 2 x Revel Performa3 B110 subwoofers | Sablon Audio Gran Corona power cords | Blue Circle Audio PLC Thingee power conditioner.

Also, GIK Acoustic room treatments, and Mapleshade, Symposium Acoustics and Boston Audio isolation accessories.

Sure, it is a bit of a geeky hobby, but it brings me happiness. Actually the gear doesn't make me happy, but the music played through it sure does.

Now that is an impressive set up! Care to give us a picture so we can dribble?

Back