At what point do you decide to take lessons or take them seriously.

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
So i've been taking lessons for 2 years now and from the very first lesson my instructor has told me that we need to fix my grip as its causing some issues with my swing. And pretty plain and simple i've told him NO for several reasons... Mainly being that i tried to during the first year and it was a struggle since i've been using that grip for the last 18 years of my life. and last year because i played in 6 THP events including the Championship and THPMC and i didn't want to take that step back that i knew would happen before i can take 2 steps forward. Looking at my schedule this year now that the king is over i only have the OCMD trip ahead of me competition wise and i'm really thinking about "taking the year off" and trying to get some major things fixed in my swing. I feel like i've improved in every other aspect of my game and working strictly for the most part of on my short game work last year took my game to the best its ever been but after seeing how i played at the king also made me realize a lot and kinda what i knew all along that one of the biggest reasons i've played so good for so long is because of how much i practice and play. I have a lot of time to play and practice and no matter how bad my swing is i've played for long enough that i can "bandaid" fix almost anything by putting in reps i want to Fix my swing the right way and use that time this year to hopefully be able to be more consistent and come back from the winter layoff without having so many issues cause i'll hopefully have a more solid swing to start with instead of swinging over the top and so steep and having to work it back into anything thats consistent enough to play well with.

Just curious how, when and why people decided to take lessons or accept that they will have to take that step back to progress in their game. I've known for a while prob since i first started taking lessons and luckily there was plenty of other stuff to work on in the mean time but i really think this year will be the year i try to fix the big issues instead of putting them aside so that my game doesn't suffer during the season.

I really focused on changing a few things over the off season so I didn't have to sacrifice much of the season to play. I realized I'd rather take steps back if it meant improving in the long run, and I felt winter was a great time to do that because I could focus solely on improving my swing.

I really focused on changing a few things over the off season so I didn't have to sacrifice much of the season to play. I realized I'd rather take steps back if it meant improving in the long run, and I felt winter was a great time to do that because I could focus solely on improving my swing.

i've tried the off season thing it just doesn't work for me i can't get my mind into golf mode like i think i need it to be. Its great for people that can do that i just didn't feel like i was in it 110% and thats the other thing my instructor said i def need to be. Committed to fixing it. i think i'm gonna read easier said than done again prob one of the best books i've ever read about swing changes and its a quick read. talks about how you have to commit and how long the process truly takes to fix anything in your game

It was last year for me. I was tired of shooting in the low 80s and wanted to become more consistent. Now I am shooting in the 70s with the bad rounds ending up in the low 80s. This, for me, is as good as it is going to get. Between Family, work, and grad school, I simply don't have the the time to take it to the next level (scratch). I strive to continue working the the things from my lessons, but I understand that due to lack of time and money, I am going to level out with with a low single-digit handicap.

Buck I made that decision over the winter and took lessons almost weekly over most of the winter to build a good swing knowing that hitting indoors all winter would lead to problems come spring. But that same crappy weather kept me from playing and band aiding my swing every time I step on the course.

I had plenty of time to work and make the changes permanent. The hardest part honestly was/is trusting the new swing on the course.

I never bought into the "get worse before you get better" mantra some golf pros tout. If a player has a good enough swing to shoot 90 they're probably good enough to get to a 10 handicap with some tightening up of the swing and short game.

That said, I had a lesson with Slicefixer and learned his grip. Later that day I used it and hit my longest drive ever on #1.

I walked onto a golf course once awhile back, hit one shot and immediately knew I needed lessons hahaha. Seriously tho I just wanted to get better and knew I'd have more fun if I was playing better so it was lesson time.

It was last year for me. I was tired of shooting in the low 80s and wanted to become more consistent. Now I am shooting in the 70s with the bad rounds ending up in the low 80s. This, for me, is as good as it is going to get. Between Family, work, and grad school, I simply don't have the the time to take it to the next level (scratch). I strive to continue working the the things from my lessons, but I understand that due to lack of time and money, I am going to level out with with a low single-digit handicap.

another reason why i want to make the change now.... i still don't have many responsibilities and i feel when i do i might never be able to put the time in i need to fix it. doing the wrong things for 18 years is a very hard habit to change like i said i tried before but after a month of trying we gave up and tried something else.... first up for the change will be buying those grips that make you hold the club the correct way. i just need to find an old 6 iron and PW to throw them on.

I think you have to have an obtainable goal in mind to really get the most out of lessons. If you just take a lesson to fix a habit then you will eventually revert back to the old habit if you dont have something to drive you to practice. If you have a goal in mind that you can stay focused on the lesson becomes a tool to put in your tool box

I never bought into the "get worse before you get better" mantra some golf pros tout. If a player has a good enough swing to shoot 90 they're probably good enough to get to a 10 handicap with some tightening up of the swing and short game.

That said, I had a lesson with Slicefixer and learned his grip. Later that day I used it and hit my longest drive ever on #1.

i tend to agree with you when you are that handicap when you are lower its very different IMO.... hard not to get worse when making a big change cause that leads to inconsistencies that you prob didn't have before.

For me, I know I'll never reach my goal of under par golf without lessons so going backwards is just a way of life for me.

The first time I was serious about lessons I immediately saw my scores go down (or up depending on how you look at it.) I went from mid 70s to low 80s and then played terribly in Florida. I continued working with a couple coaches and saw myself shooting even and +1 a couple times to finish last year. Now fast forward to this year and I have played my absolute worst golf in 10+ years. I thought things were going to to get better and they didn't. One swing evaluation/lesson at GolfTec and I saw how poorly I really was swinging. A little fix on my posture and I just shot an 81. I'm still well over my goal but I hit the ball really well today and can see the light.

I think it's a matter of just doing it. You can start now and get it done or wait another 6 months, 1 year, or 5 years even. Then all you'll do is look back and wish you would have just gotten it over with.

Just my thoughts

another reason why i want to make the change now.... i still don't have many responsibilities and i feel when i do i might never be able to put the time in i need to fix it. doing the wrong things for 18 years is a very hard habit to change like i said i tried before but after a month of trying we gave up and tried something else.... first up for the change will be buying those grips that make you hold the club the correct way. i just need to find an old 6 iron and PW to throw them on.

Makes a ton of sense. Also, i Hear you about being patient with swing changes. My instructor told me that shortening my backswing was a long term change and wouldn't happen over night. He was right. I am getting there, but the process is even slower due to the lack of time I have.

It was last year for me.
Then I got injured and had to put it on hold.
I am beginning this year again and have had a few already and will work until I get there.
Im getting worse before I get better, but I am okay with that, because I have certain goals and no time is limited to get there.

Two things I will make sure I do during the lessons. Play less rounds and practice more.
However every round will be a fun round. For me that means playing with THPers at THP Events. I said originally I would not play in any of them any more or at least not until I get where I want to be, but after watching #TheKing, I know that I am playing in the Championship and maybe even others.

I just love playing w/ THPers and that just wont change.

During the change, make every round count for happiness.

Makes a ton of sense. Also, i Hear you about being patient with swing changes. My instructor told me that shortening my backswing was a long term change and wouldn't happen over night. He was right. I am getting there, but the process is even slower due to the lack of time I have.

This book i read was the first thing my instructor told me to do when i started its by a sports psychiatrist and how the weakest link of your game will always break and changes will always revert back to your old habits under any pressure i learned that all to well in my first pro am. i am pretty excited about changing i just need to commit since i haven't been willing to since i started.

This book i read was the first thing my instructor told me to do when i started its by a sports psychiatrist and how the weakest link of your game will always break and changes will always revert back to your old habits under any pressure i learned that all to well in my first pro am. i am pretty excited about changing i just need to commit since i haven't been willing to since i started.

You commit now...You will be ready for Gauntlet or Champ.
#DrewLightningWillRideAgain

It was last year for me.
Then I got injured and had to put it on hold.
I am beginning this year again and have had a few already and will work until I get there.
Im getting worse before I get better, but I am okay with that, because I have certain goals and no time is limited to get there.

Two things I will make sure I do during the lessons. Play less rounds and practice more.
However every round will be a fun round. For me that means playing with THPers at THP Events. I said originally I would not play in any of them any more or at least not until I get where I want to be, but after watching #TheKing, I know that I am playing in the Championship and maybe even others.

I just love playing w/ THPers and that just wont change.

During the change, make every round count for happiness.

I agree with all of that..... i know last year for the THPMC prep i didn't play anywhere close to as much as i practiced in the past.... talking with a lot of people that know what they are talking about all said that same thing. i only played once a week to every 2 weeks with 4-6 practices in there. You could see the difference it made i'm hoping the same will happen this year... i prob won't be playing at all for a few months except a few scrambles i have already agreed to play in but they are ones i do every year because of the cause. And like we talked about on Saturday at the king get back to some "FEEL" Golf in those few rounds and just try to enjoy them.

Knowing you are going to get worse before you get better is the biggest mental hurdle one has to overcome when taking lessons/making changes.

It is so easy to go back to the old way of doing things, especially when the going gets rough.

I like to liken it to how Tim Tebow thought he could change his throwing motion each offseason - it was simply impossible. Sure, he looked fine during practice when he could concentrate on mechanics, but the moments the bullets started flying in real games, Tebow reverted to his old motion.

Now not everyone needs such drastic change, but even small changes such as changing your grip or shortening your backswing takes a lot of time and patience. I envy those that have the time and resources to do so.

I agree with all of that..... i know last year for the THPMC prep i didn't play anywhere close to as much as i practiced in the past.... talking with a lot of people that know what they are talking about all said that same thing. i only played once a week to every 2 weeks with 4-6 practices in there. You could see the difference it made i'm hoping the same will happen this year... i prob won't be playing at all for a few months except a few scrambles i have already agreed to play in but they are ones i do every year because of the cause. And like we talked about on Saturday at the king get back to some "FEEL" Golf in those few rounds and just try to enjoy them.

September will see #DrewLightningRideAgain
Champ or Gauntlet

September will see #DrewLightningRideAgain
Champ or Gauntlet

Drewlighting might be making the trip anyway for some other business.

So i've been taking lessons for 2 years now and from the very first lesson my instructor has told me that we need to fix my grip as its causing some issues with my swing. And pretty plain and simple i've told him NO for several reasons... Mainly being that i tried to during the first year and it was a struggle since i've been using that grip for the last 18 years of my life. and last year because i played in 6 THP events including the Championship and THPMC and i didn't want to take that step back that i knew would happen before i can take 2 steps forward. Looking at my schedule this year now that the king is over i only have the OCMD trip ahead of me competition wise and i'm really thinking about "taking the year off" and trying to get some major things fixed in my swing. I feel like i've improved in every other aspect of my game and working strictly for the most part of on my short game work last year took my game to the best its ever been but after seeing how i played at the king also made me realize a lot and kinda what i knew all along that one of the biggest reasons i've played so good for so long is because of how much i practice and play. I have a lot of time to play and practice and no matter how bad my swing is i've played for long enough that i can "bandaid" fix almost anything by putting in reps i want to Fix my swing the right way and use that time this year to hopefully be able to be more consistent and come back from the winter layoff without having so many issues cause i'll hopefully have a more solid swing to start with instead of swinging over the top and so steep and having to work it back into anything thats consistent enough to play well with.

Just curious how, when and why people decided to take lessons or accept that they will have to take that step back to progress in their game. I've known for a while prob since i first started taking lessons and luckily there was plenty of other stuff to work on in the mean time but i really think this year will be the year i try to fix the big issues instead of putting them aside so that my game doesn't suffer during the season.

Buck, I thought about some of the same things as you did and decided to commit to the swing changes starting about a month ago. I had the same thought process: I have a relatively homemade swing that definitely had some flaws in it, but I didn't want to change things all that much over the past 3 years because I had the Morgan Cup every summer. This year, not having a big tournament coming up this summer, it's allowed me to step back a little bit and commit to the swing change. Also, now that I have a baby at home, the amount of rounds that I am going to play will go down, but I can justify getting to the range for an hour or 2 much more often than 4-5 hours on the course. I will admit, it's really frustrating right now because the weather has been crappy and hasn't allowed me to practice as much as I want, and the rounds that I have played have been pretty much a disaster in terms of scoring. But I want to be able to focus on the long-term goal, which is having a solid single-digit handicap that can travel and let me step onto any course and have a chance at breaking 80. PM me if you want to chat a little more about it.

Buck, I thought about some of the same things as you did and decided to commit to the swing changes starting about a month ago. I had the same thought process: I have a relatively homemade swing that definitely had some flaws in it, but I didn't want to change things all that much over the past 3 years because I had the Morgan Cup every summer. This year, not having a big tournament coming up this summer, it's allowed me to step back a little bit and commit to the swing change. Also, now that I have a baby at home, the amount of rounds that I am going to play will go down, but I can justify getting to the range for an hour or 2 much more often than 4-5 hours on the course. I will admit, it's really frustrating right now because the weather has been crappy and hasn't allowed me to practice as much as I want, and the rounds that I have played have been pretty much a disaster in terms of scoring. But I want to be able to focus on the long-term goal, which is having a solid single-digit handicap that can travel and let me step onto any course and have a chance at breaking 80. PM me if you want to chat a little more about it.

good stuff Ary i def will take you up on it.... Good Luck with everything as well.

One time I started taking lessons because I was so bad the game just wasn't fun any longer.

Another time I started lessons because I wanted to achieve a particular goal and I wasn't going to get there until/unless I was willing to take on bigger issues.

This time I started lessons so I'd have access to my instructor when my swing got out of whack enough that I needed a tune up.

I made the decision to get serious a few years ago when I shot 100-99-80-95-100......

That low round... as much of a fluke as it was.... felt so so so good compared to fighting 100 all of the time. I knew I got lucky and got hot but I figured if I could do it once I was at least capable with help of doing it again.

Only played out of the 80s once this year and will hopefully be heading to my 2nd straight season without a round in the 100s.

About an hour ago.

I've taken one lesson my entire life. It was after I finished playing college baseball. I'd played a bit before but swung a club like a baseball bat. I even held the club like a bat. He showed me to take the club back and swing inside the ball. The swing felt awful and he told me the next time I went to the course what would happen. He was right. I spent an entire bucket of balls hitting it fat. I went to the range a few more times before I took it to the course and it got better each time. I had a lot of time to work on it that summer played 4-5 times a week (bartended at night). That was the game changer that got me addicted to golf.

Along the way I always played golf with guys that were 10 times better than me. That's where I picked up the tools to go from a 15 to a 10 then a 6 then a 3. I'm sure i'm in the minority when I say lessons aren't the best way to learn to golf. I rarely practiced, maybe 10 buckets all year. I practiced putting just before rounds. But I played a ton. I learned how to play on the golf course. Maybe it would've been easier doing lessons but the experiences, good & bad, shaped how I golf today.

I think you're too concerned with lessons and practicing. Play golf and have some fun. Play with good players every chance you get. Ask them questions. Watch what they do. Find someone you trust that knows your swing. When you go into a slump have him/her come to the range and see if they can find the flaw. Buy him/her a beer and talk about. Then be diligent and work on it on the range but don't forget about it on the course.

Last edited:
Back