Astro Turf Practice Green - Ugh

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
First time I've ever encountered one of these at a course. This is the worst thing to ever exist. How are you supposed to get a feel for the greens with this? Unless, you're playing a putt putt tournament, how can this be any good for improving your putting?

There was no natural flow to the "blades" and the ball just wobbles each direction, missing cups high and low one after another.

After putting on this for a bit waiting for my buddy to show up, I proceeded to have my worst round of putting in 8 years. Ugh.

PXL_20221002_140403030.jpg

Would not even warm up on that.

Maybe agree to roll a few putts away from the hole on the 1st green.

That reminds me of the “practice” putting areas in golf shops and and sports store. Can’t get any feel for speed.

If a course had one of these practice greens, I wouldn’t use it pre round.

That reminds me of the “practice” putting areas in golf shops and and sports store. Can’t get any feel for speed.

If a course had one of these practice greens, I wouldn’t use it pre round.
I would say the mats in the golf shops have a better feel than this. It was awful.

Fortunately I have never encountered that. I can see the artificial stuff being used for tees at the range, though certainly not my preference, but using it for an outdoor practice green is going way too far.

Did it have sand in it? I putted on one that was plastic grass then filled in with sand. It was actually pretty good. It was super fast like a Champion Bermuda green which I liked.

Why just why?!?!

The funny thing about all of it is that the course had some of the better greens in the area - condition wise anyway. I couldn't help think to myself how hard is it to maintain just one more?

This is just sad.

First time I've ever encountered one of these at a course. This is the worst thing to ever exist. How are you supposed to get a feel for the greens with this? Unless, you're playing a putt putt tournament, how can this be any good for improving your putting?

There was no natural flow to the "blades" and the ball just wobbles each direction, missing cups high and low one after another.

After putting on this for a bit waiting for my buddy to show up, I proceeded to have my worst round of putting in 8 years. Ugh.

View attachment 9124706
Let's see that putter...

This is unfortunate, it also shows how impressive the World Champion Putt-Putt players are to deal with these conditions.

Why just why?!?!

Mostly because courses get tired of people trashing practice greens. Hitting chip shots they aren't supposed to and leaving ball marks, etc.

I would assume this was a muni or mid priced course.

Mostly because courses get tired of people trashing practice greens. Hitting chip shots they aren't supposed to and leaving ball marks, etc.

I would assume this was a muni or mid priced course.
So get rid of the green altogether. This is a colossal waste of money

Have NEVER seen putt putt grass for a practice green, anywhere

This is just awful! :eek: I wouldn't have even warmed up on that. Did you ask in the Pro Shop why they have it? :unsure:

Back