Ask a Best Buy Employee

JF

Reaction score
Best Buy employee here. I'll answer any questions in this thread.

Disclaimer: I will not give out wholesale pricing or trade secrets.

I worked at Best Buy for 4+ years through college and after.

I'm not sure what somebody may want to know.

I haven't been inside a Best Buy for like 5 years. Maybe longer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What Best Buy are you working at?

Let's not be mean. You never know what you might learn from this thread.

Best Buy employee here. I'll answer any questions in this thread.

Disclaimer: I will not give out wholesale pricing or trade secrets.

Why are in store prices sometimes higher than online?

What sound bars would you recommend for $150 and under? I have a 42" Insignia, that I want to get the sound bar for.

I worked there a while ago as well. Do not buy cables from best buy as most are rip offs. Very rarely are the protection plans they try to sell you worth it.

I worked there a while ago as well. Do not buy cables from best buy as most are rip offs. Very rarely are the protection plans they try to sell you worth it.

Don't buy cables from any of those places. Monoprice.com is the place to go for cables.

Just got a new laptop from BestBuy thanks to me getting the 3 year Geek Squad service plan on my old laptop. Got sent to get worked on but parts were more than the laptop itself.

touche

Online prices are sometimes cheaper because stores aren't required to move their prices with the website. They will price match the website if you bring it up.

I'd get the Vizio 2.0 sound bar.

There is a very large markup on cables from any retailer. I will say that if you want a high powered home theater system, going with AudioQuest cables is a huge benefit.

Warranties are worth it on some products and not on others. If it sits in one place like a TV, game system, or appliance, you don't need it. If it moves like headphones, a game controller, or a tablet, get the warranty. To use an example, if you buy the 2 year on a pair of Bose QC15 headphones for $39.99 you can walk in with a day left on the warranty and get a new pair simply by saying your sound quality isn't as good as when you bought it. This is because the copper wire in the cables gets frayed over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hdmi is digital. Nothing but 1s and 0s. Buy from monoprice.com

Do you offer an extended warranty on packs of gum?

You still have distortion introduced from the stranded cables that you don't get with solid wire, as well as from the connector being made from less pure materials. From an mono price cable to an AudioQuest Diamond you are getting maybe 5% better performance, but it is there.

From an mono price cable to an AudioQuest Diamond you are getting maybe 5% better performance, but it is there.

Is there any data at all to support that statistic?

Online prices are sometimes cheaper because stores aren't required to move their prices with the website. They will price match the website if you bring it up.

I'd get the Vizio 2.0 sound bar.

There is a very large markup on cables from any retailer. I will say that if you want a high powered home theater system, going with AudioQuest cables is a huge benefit.

Warranties are worth it on some products and not on others. If it sits in one place like a TV, game system, or appliance, you don't need it. If it moves like headphones, a game controller, or a tablet, get the warranty. To use an example, if you buy the 2 year on a pair of Bose QC15 headphones for $39.99 you can walk in with a day left on the warranty and get a new pair simply by saying your sound quality isn't as good as when you bought it. This is because the copper wire in the cables gets frayed over time.

So they're pretty cool about the price match? If I find the Amazon price online while I'm shopping in the store, they'll match that price?

So they're pretty cool about the price match? If I find the Amazon price online while I'm shopping in the store, they'll match that price?

Yes. Pretty much any legit retailer.

Yes. Pretty much any legit retailer.

I've always stayed away from Best Buy, but the price match thing might convince me to stop by today. Thanks for the info!

I've always stayed away from Best Buy, but the price match thing might convince me to stop by today. Thanks for the info!

I really wish they would advertise it more as it would be an easy fix to the showrooming problem (person comes in, checks out the products, asks a bunch of questions, then leaves and buys it on Amazon. I bring it up whenever the customer mentions the price. If someone gets $30 off an iPod through a price match, they will usually spend the savings on a case or headphones. Win win.

Yes, they will. I've done it plenty of times.

Back