Artificial Greens on the course?

I think this would be interesting for pitch and putts, executive courses, and some municipal courses. If the greens held similar to regular greens, and they stayed that way for years. It would be interesting to see what the replacement costs are vs the upkeep of traditional greens and if it really leads to any savings. How long would these artificial greens hold up?

I read that and would be game for it. My only question is how/where do you make the change from turf to grass? Maintaining that interface is a concern.

But if that means no more ballmarks from of the selfish golfers out there that don't fix theirs I'm for it.

Pretty interesting, this course in Sarasota replaced all greens with a synthetic grass. If your home course struggles with maintenance of the greens, would you be open to this idea? What courses do you think this option might be best suited for?

https://golf.com/lifestyle/turf-fake-golf-course-feels-savings-real/
With the issue of available water becoming a problem, especially out west, I think synthetic grass is in golf's future. Way distant future. I think in 30-40 years all fairways, and greens will be synthetic turf. Some developer will eventually try it.

I've played on synthetic greens before during some of my travels. Found them adequate in as much as speed was constant from green to green. No worries on grain either if that important.

There's a course in sw Idaho who has real grass greens that are almost impervious to ball marks. It was tough to find any. Even my own.

I ask what type of grass it was. The counter guy didn't know.

Last edited:
Why not. From the article it seems to check all the boxes.

I think this would be interesting for pitch and putts, executive courses, and some municipal courses. If the greens held similar to regular greens, and they stayed that way for years. It would be interesting to see what the replacement costs are vs the upkeep of traditional greens and if it really leads to any savings. How long would these artificial greens hold up?
Agree, pitch & putts and executive courses seem like the perfect application to enter the market. It allows real golfers to gain exposure and possibly gain comfort to this idea but before slapping them on full courses.

It would have to hold approach shots similarly to real grass. My regular course has one tee box out of 27 (I guess really 1 out of about 75) that was replaced by synthetic turf. Not a big fan, but also not really that big a deal when it's a par 3 tee box and not a green.

I think it's a great idea for par 3 courses, such as this one in Sarasota,or public courses that may struggle with upkeep costs. I couldn't see my club or any club in my area going to synthetic greens.

I would play this par 3 course. And I would probably play a course with synthetic greens to experience what it is like,

I'm curious how the ground under the turf will react to repeated impacts of golf balls. If there's not pitch mark to fix in the turf, what about the ground underneath? Is that going to eventually start moving whatever type of sand or dirt fill that's underneath and over the course of years just be like a bowl of lumpy oatmeal? Or is it soft enough that rolling can smooth it out to prevent that kind of damage from building up over time?

I read that and would be game for it. My only question is how/where do you make the change from turf to grass? Maintaining that interface is a concern.

But if that means no more ballmarks from of the selfish golfers out there that don't fix theirs I'm for it.

I think if you brushed the greens every day and kept an eye on the sandfill it would probably work. I would be a bit concerned about compaction like you are with all greens. I also don't know how moving the cups around would work. Maybe they cut 4-5 cups and rotate them around.

Nay

absolutely not! the Par 3 course near us uses Matts instead of tee boxes and that is enough to keep me from playing.

I’m ok with mats on a Par 3 course as it’s a considerable savings in maintenance. I’d pass on synthetic greens personally, but if it puts a playing opportunity somewhere for people then why not?

With the issue of available water becoming a problem, especially out west, I think synthetic grass is in golf's future. Way distant future. I think in 30-40 years all fairways, and greens will be synthetic turf. Some developer will eventually try it.

I've played on synthetic greens before during some of my travels. Found them adequate in as much as speed was constant from green to green. No worries on grain either if that important.

There's a course in sw Idaho who has real grass greens that are almost impervious to ball marks. It was tough to find any. Even my own.

I ask what type of grass it was. The counter guy didn't know.

I can’t imagine how that would be great for wrists, or how courses would drain when you have to funnel it vs the ground helping absorb it.

Yes, maintaining edges would be crucial.

zero interest in that publication, but, I don't mind the idea of artificial greens for many of the executive courses and lower end courses who struggle to keep up with ground maintenance. It's an awesome alternative to burned out and patchy greens.

Definitely different than the artificial that I grew up with.
Sand greens and tee boxes that were switched over to artificial (close to 30 years ago). Green turf that was closer to carpet than turf.
Couldn't hit a green (but at that age I couldn't do that anyways). They ran so so so fast though when putting.

absolutely not! the Par 3 course near us uses Matts instead of tee boxes and that is enough to keep me from playing.
I would agree not wanting it on the tee boxes. But I would be open to having them on a Par 3 course green to see how they play.

Interesting.

Assuming the mats are decent, I'd pick that over hard pan any day (assuming I knew what I was getting myself into based on course/price).

Suncoast is more of a glorified practice facility these days. Their Par 3 course is super short, and sets up more for a pitch and putt than an Executive style course. Them changing their greens made a ton of sense, based off location, as they really struggled with ground maintenance. Since they completed renovations, it's a fantastic place to practice.

Interesting.

Assuming the mats are decent, I'd pick that over hard pan any day (assuming I knew what I was getting myself into based on course/price).
The course itself is actually pretty nice with really good greens. But the “tee boxes” are complete **** matts that have no give to them. If they used the same quality Matt I have at home I would probably feel different.

Suncoast is more of a glorified practice facility these days. Their Par 3 course is super short, and sets up more for a pitch and putt than an Executive style course. Them changing their greens made a ton of sense, based off location, as they really struggled with ground maintenance. Since they completed renovations, it's a fantastic place to practice.
Glad to have input from someone actually playing there!! That is how I imagine I would view the courses with artificial greens as well, as a great "practice" place.

I dunno what kind of surface it is. The local range has an artificial green. I only use it for practicing 5 foot putts. Its probably 3 times faster than the greens on the course. Practicing lags is useless on that one.

Back