Are your Penalty Strokes spread around or primarily due to one issue?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do most of yours manifest from the same shot or are they spread out too?

I'd never really dug into how/where/why I hit one into a penalty situation before. In part because I usually don't take many but lately I've carded a lot more than normal. Last few years I've been averaging 0.6-0.7 Penalty Strokes /round but I carded 14 in my last 8 rounds (1.75/rnd). After taking 3 more yesterday I was alarmed enough to see why the jump. Maybe I'm missing something but looking into why I'm not sure I learned much I should be working on?

4 were off the tee on P4s or P5s with Drivers: 2 hooks left into water / 2 blocked right OOB (both blocks happened the same round).
2 were off the tee on P3s: PW from 120 long into water / 4H from 195 left into water.

2 were 2nd shot layup attempts on P5s: 6i from rough scuff hooked into waste area / 8i from rough that should've stopped 30 yards short of cross fairway water but unfortunately landed on steep downslope of big fairway mound and kicked all the way in.

4 were 2nd shots into P4s: 6i from 165 slight downhill lie in FW flew pin into waste area long / 6i from 145 ball well below feet in rough scuff/pulled into creek short (both these 6i's were on same hole different day) / 5F from 205 ball well above feet in FW over compensation for expected pull hook and left it right in water / 8i from 140 level lie in FW long into water.

2 were 3rd shots into P5s: GW from 110 slight downhill lie in FW fatted into pond fronting green / SW from 75 ball waaay above feet in very deep rough (honestly 2nd shot should've rolled into pond if bank grass wasn't so long) choked way up but heel caught 1st and and I weakly pull popped it just over my shoulder into pond it belonged in to begin with.

My penalties are equal opportunity, they like to spread the mayhem around.

Always into trees/bushes off the tee. Occasionally it's long on a par 3 but mostly driver.

Always into trees/bushes off the tee. Occasionally it's long on a par 3 but mostly driver.

Same here. Nearly all of my penalties are off the tee. I'll fire one over the green every now and again into the junk, but my approach miss is usually short so hitting 3 off the tee is where I lose the most strokes due to penalties.

9/10 of them were lost balls or OB. 1/10 was in the water.

Id say majority are off the tees. But they do come from everywhere.
But whether its a penalty or simply a lost stroke isnt it most all related to same swing fails and doesnt it all mean the same towards our final score? Just a matter of some ending up more penal than others. I mean if i swing fail a 7i approach that goes in water or simply just chunk it 5 yards its still all about swing fails and strokes. Just noting.

I'm an equal opportunity penalty stroke recipient.

Usually an erratic driver, or a FW on a par 5. Some times less, it’s a skulled wedge OB or lost.

One issue. The big right push off the tee when I try to get too cute or lazy with my rotation.

The majority of my penalties on from the tee. Usually it's when I try to get too aggressive on holes with water in play.

Most of mine are driver getting ugly. Sometimes it's getting aggressive on a line, other times it's taking a normal line and just straight up block or pull it bad.

Second to putting issues, erratic performance off the tee is probably my biggest opportunity for improvement.

There's really only one place for most of mine to take place. They're misses based in the difficulty of speed, degrees offline vs yards offline, and intention. I'm not going to get a lot of penalties on a 9i swing on approach, or a 4 iron off the tee. There only one club I'm swinging pretty hard at where a little miss can go a long way.

My lost balls are usually on one hole. A narrow fairway, dog leg left, with water to the left and anything within 20 feet of the water rolls into the lake.

But, I have on occasion lost a ball on all the other 17 holes. :oops:

From the tee. I'd say 85 percent or more are from the tee.

Mine are mainly off the tee with driver. Second-most would be lost balls due to water hazards at my home course... there are a lot!

I have great versatily when it comes to my penalty shots. Today I sliced a rare ball into the trees, went long on a layup into the water and had the ball way below my feet and sent it right into the the weeds. The two I had the other day wer completely different.

I would say 75% of mine come on the Tee box.

I feel like probably 80% of my penalty strokes come from tee shots OB, into water, or lost in some other way. The rest are water hazards guarding greens.

98% of my penalty strokes are because of lost balls. Lost balls due bad eye sight.

However, after successful lazer surgery, and I now have 20/25 vision, my lost ball penalties are very few, and far between.

Mine used to come mostly fro skulling a bunker shot into never never land.
Now, they usually come when trying to hammer a FW to a par 5, or force a shorter club to carry a hazard when between clubs.
Most come from bad decisions/brain farts combined with a bad swing.
Rarely penalized from the tee these days, other than my lack of distance. LOL

The longer the club, the greater chance for penalty. But I've had several penalties with wedges this year as well.

More than likely it’s off the tee, a hard pull left into the hungry grass/waste area, or everyone’s flavour favourite double cross. I have lost a few on errant 2nd shots into par 5’s on a couple of holes on my home course though.

Looking at my ShotScope data, my penalty strokes are almost entirely due to my driver. That is not at all surprising to me.

Back