Are Sunglasses Optional?

Not optional for me. I wear sunglasses nearly all the time playing golf. Any time there is a hint of sun, I will wear them.

My eyeglasses have the transition stuff that tints them when i go out in the sun. Definitely couldn't live without that now. When it is really sunny out I will go with my prescription sunglasses that are darker and offer more protection than the transition lenses.

100% mandatory. I will turn around and be late for me tee time or buy some in the pro shop before playing without them. People know me for my sunglasses tan line in the summers thanks to golf and baseball haha

Can’t wear sunglasses while swinging at a ball because they mess with my depth perception. Will wear them in between shots though.

If I'm fishing even in low light, I have glasses of some sort on and where them when driving. My sunglasses now have readers built in and can't play with them

for eye protection, I would prefer to wear them but I've tried recently with readers in them and even without and did not like the depth perception

Sunglasses are a must, can’t do it without glasses in the bright sunlight unless I want to harm my self with a massive headache and squint all day.

Having a chat elsewhere about this, I realized it's just 100% standard for me to take sunglasses to the course and wear them pretty much any time I am outside with even a hint of sun in the forecast.

Is it an optional thing for you? Can you get away without them?
I prefer them. If it’s super dark o can wear my regular glasses but definitely prefer sunglasses

I will say I have to prefer costa and newly found shadyrays (but they are alittle tight at the ears). But the lenses work

And I have a pair that live in the car and never leave it, so I never have to worry about forgetting to bring them when going somewhere.
Same 👊

I wear them everywhere. I have a pair in the car, one in the garage that I wear when I'm mowing and a pair in my golf bag.

Sunglasses are a must, can’t do it without glasses in the bright sunlight unless I want to harm my self with a massive headache and squint all day.
When I first started wearing sunglasses to play golf, along about 2009 or so, after a few rounds I noticed how much less tired my "squint muscles" were after a round. And before sunglasses, not every time, but fairly often I would have a little bit of a headache after a round in the summer. I'd always thought the heat was causing it but pretty sure it was the intense summer sun in my eyes.

Mine are prescription sunglasses, so I wear them at all times when I'm on the course.
I also have the Oakley Prizm Golf lenses, so they are not as dark as traditional sunglasses can be.

Mine are prescription sunglasses, so I wear them at all times when I'm on the course.
I also have the Oakley Prizm Golf lenses, so they are not as dark as traditional sunglasses can be.
My first pair of prescription 'shades were too dark. They had to come off and use my normal glasses on really dark, overcast days or as soon as the sun dipped behind the tree line. And forget wearing them indoors even briefly, I literally had to pull them off to step into the clubhouse and order a soda at the turn.

My current pair are a fair bit lighter but still seem to do a fine job of eliminating eye strain on the course. They are "just right" on the tint so that I can just put them on when I leave home in the morning, go play golf, wear them if I stop at the grocery store or something on the way home, whatever. Unless I'm in a fairly dim-lit room they are fine anywhere.

Never wear them golfing, always have them for driving though. Blue eyes, and I get by just fine.

For those who don't enjoy wearing sunglasses, have you tried real glass instead of the polycarbonate lenses?
Most brands do not offer real glass lenses but Randolph Engineering, American Optical, and Vuarnet do and I prefer the real glass for everyday wear as well as while playing golf.

I don't always take my sunglasses to the course, when I do have them with me I take them off for shots.

I'm old enough to remember a time in golf where nobody wore sunglasses and half the pro's didn't even wear hats; the pre-David Duval era...

I have something called Photic Sneeze Reflex - the sun often makes me sneeze when I first go outside. So I always have sunglasses on. That and a spot on my right eye near the optic nerve that could become cancerous someday, like skin cancer but in the eye - weird - so I have been instructed by my ophthalmologist to wear sunglasses at all times. I used to not wear them while playing because they distract me but I've forced myself to get used to it so I don't lose my eye or, you know, die if it spreads. :cool:

Never wear them golfing, always have them for driving though. Blue eyes, and I get by just fine.
Most people do just fine without ever putting on sunblock too…and then a few lucky ones that think they do don’t. Good luck. 😎

Everything is optional but I wear sunglasses. I made the mistake with my current ones just having them ground to my prescription but not including bifocals on the lenses. I kind of regret that a bit because seeing up close is sketchy.

I've got some Oakleys I wear with contacts and I try to go with them instead of my prescription ones... but they're a pain to get right with my mtb helmet.

For those who don't enjoy wearing sunglasses, have you tried real glass instead of the polycarbonate lenses?
Most brands do not offer real glass lenses but Randolph Engineering, American Optical, and Vuarnet do and I prefer the real glass for everyday wear as well as while playing golf.
Wore “ Spotters “ brand for 10 years , glass lens … On the heavy side , but robust and never had a issue, predominantly used whilst working in water and with reflective steel
Or aluminium .

Eyewear .. because they all
Look the same , you often can’t tell the quality from the rubbish . And the damage is cumalative , and then it’s too late . Quality product will reduce e eye strain and protect them …. You only get one set of them . Best look after them from young age .

I have progressive lenses right now and wear clip ons for sunglasses. Due for new glasses and was wondering if I should just get some prescription sunglasses or transition lenses. Any ideas?
Typically with transition lenses people either love them or hate them. I love them. Today’s transitions adjust really quick. Even going from high intensity sunlight to indoors it takes less than a minute to fully adjust. My wife hates them. Says that’s too long.

I have blue eyes, which makes it mostly mandatory.

Back