Are Pro Sports Rigged?

Are pro sports rigged?

• No.

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • 100%

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Here and there but the integrity is still there.

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Yes and I think it makes the sports entertaining.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I am a bandwagon fan so it doesn't bother me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rhinosparky

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you believe that pro sports are rigged?

I believe the NBA is 100% fixed and has been since Stern took over as commissioner.
Even if you don't believe it is rigged how do you explain superstar calls? A travel should be called the same no matter what the star status of the player is. Phantom calls that certain players get, fouls they get away with (Jordan pushed off). Can you imagine a pitcher having a strike zone 3 times bigger than anyone else? Or a receiver being allowed to blatantly push off in the endzone anytime he wanted, or a golfer being allowed to pick up 3' puts?
The WWE has more credibility than the NBA.

I think the NFL isn't as bold, yet they do favor the "in" quarterback whether it be Brady for the last 15 years or now with Mahomes and how they protect and favor him with bogus calls. I think they do it more subtly than the NBA does. They fix the games by allowing certain teams to get away with holding calls.

MLB I have no clue as I don't watch paint dry nore do I watch baseball.

NHLI also have no clue.

I really only watch NHL and NFL. I don’t think the NHL is rigged per se but I do think there is some favoritism of players/teams with refs.

I think certain aspects of the NFL are rigged. Way too many story lines. I won’t deep dive but I certainly think it was in the NFLs best interest to have Taylor Swift at the super bowl

I really only watch NHL and NFL. I don’t think the NHL is rigged per se but I do think there is some favoritism of players/teams with refs.

I think certain aspects of the NFL are rigged. Way too many story lines. I won’t deep dive but I certainly think it was in the NFLs best interest to have Taylor Swift at the super bowl
Oh its 100% about money for the NFL.
The NBA i think is 50% money and 50% about favoring three to four teams and cities.

I think it is occasionally. Too much money involved for there not to be some element of it, but for the most part I think the athlete's involved would make it too hard to be completely rigged. Competitors don't like to lose.

I think there are some favorable rulings and some protections for some teams but the product on the field is way to difficult to control. I don't believe the officials are actual league employees for any major sports league so it is hard to control the narrative for them. Are their umps/refs/officials that are on the take or biased? Sure but I don't think that number is nearly as high as people make it out to be.

As much as I want to think it is, there is too much money involoved.

I watch a lot of NBA and maybe I'm naive but it doesn't seem fixed to me.

For and against the Chiefs. #Rigged

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

I don't think the sports themselves are rigged, however I think officials do take bribes, its been proven in the NBA. I would love for them to become employees of the league but for some reason they aren't. There has to be a reason for that

I think a lot of what gets classified as #rigged is actually referring being a really hard job and they just stink at their job on top of it.

I remember when the NFL was #rigged against The Chiefs and now for them. It's been a crazy ride.

I can't speak to professional sports here but I firmly believe the Premier League is fixed now, especially with what is going on with PSR charges, FFP, 'small club' references by the leaders, officiating board decisions and changes that are insane and that they cannot explain let alone enforce consistently.

We won't talk about FIFA, that's openly corrupt and fixed, too many people have been prosecuted, banned from game involvement for years (looking at you Blatter), or people passing away before they could prosecute (coincidentally, not implying anything).

It depends how you define "rigged".

I do believe that some officials likely believe that if they blow a call that favors a small market team over a large market team, they may be punished by not getting to ref the big games for a while. So they will favor the larger market teams because they know it's better for the league. A ref is less likely to be punished if an error benefits a major star or major market. I don't think this happens 100% of the time, but i do believe stuff like this happens....but that is not "rigging"

I could be convinced the NBA instructed referees to favor the Lakers in the early 2000s. The Eastern teams back then were typically Detroit and Indiana, very small markets. And the West teams competing with the Lakers were Sacramento and Portland. A Sacramento/Indiana finals would have been a financial disaster for the NBA.

I would say it's 50/50 that the NBA did instruct refs to favor the Lakers. Those games were just so egregiously refereed. I believe it was Sac/LAL game 6 in something like 2002 that was the one everyone refers to. There were other cases with Portland that were just as bad

I think it is occasionally. Too much money involved for there not to be some element of it, but for the most part I think the athlete's involved would make it too hard to be completely rigged. Competitors don't like to lose.
True but when the leagues come out and fine you for saying anything what are they to do?

I think a lot of what gets classified as #rigged is actually referring being a really hard job and they just stink at their job on top of it.
Personally I think there should be rules on instant replay that say what speed the replay should be in. Example a turnover should be slow motion so you can see when the ball comes loose. When saying a runner is safe or out on a steal should be game speed. Stuff like that. The whole slow everything down makes the umps/refs/officials look wrong all the time when it is an unfair comparison.

I watch a lot of NBA and maybe I'm naive but it doesn't seem fixed to me.
Honestly how can you watch the NBA and not see the superstar calls guys get away with. If you happen to have a team without a allstar or superstar you cannot win simply because you are playing by a different set of rules. I've watch lebron literally walk the ball up the court for like five steps and the ref saw it and didn't call it.
It isn't a equal sport if a rookie cannot drive and get a foul called when its clearly a foul, yet a superstar misses an easy layup and they get a whistl afterwards.

As much as I want to think it is, there is too much money involoved.

Right now i believe that also. For example the NFL,tThe money they make from gambling is far too much to risk over something like demanding Taylor Swift be at the Super Bowl. I'm a Bills fan and joked a lot about "watch the penalties" in that game, which ended up being refereed very well.....But even i know, there is no way they are risking a fix.

This is why they suspended Calvin Ridley for a year, you could murder someone and get less

Honestly how can you watch the NBA and not see the superstar calls guys get away with. If you happen to have a team without a allstar or superstar you cannot win simply because you are playing by a different set of rules. I've watch lebron literally walk the ball up the court for like five steps and the ref saw it and didn't call it.
It isn't a equal sport if a rookie cannot drive and get a foul called when its clearly a foul, yet a superstar misses an easy layup and they get a whistl afterwards.

Superstar calls is not "rigging" games though. When you get into the deep playoffs every team has stars

This goes to my comments earlier though, referees "know" what will get them off the big games and what won't, and they referee accordingly. If you are the ref in a big game, and Lebron James fouls out 17 minutes into the game with a national audience.....guess what, you won't ref big games for a while. Everyone of them knows that.

But this isn't "rigging games" because if Steph Curry is on the opposite team--the same rules will apply to him

One thing that I like about proffesional golf is that there isn't a referee influencing the outcomes 98% of the time.
Other sports, I don't trust as much.
I don't gamble, so it doesn't have an effect on me in that area.
I haven't watched NBA since Magic and Bird, maybe a little Jordan.

Back