Arccos Golf stats on Scratch vs 20 handicap

Pharaoh

🌹Grandaddy X 🌹 #TeamLegacy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are yalls thoughts on this?

1715171434912.png

Makes sense to me. Though, driver distance doesn't seem to be a huge tell of handicap from who I've been playing with recently.

I think a stat for duffed / topped / shanked shots would (not be possible) be more telling, that's our biggest issue on the higher realm. Mine personally is driver and distance but I've seen plenty of 10-20 handicap people drive distances be all over the board.

This makes sense. Also wonder what penalty strokes per round look like. I know I’m good for at least 1 per round where I lose my driver off the planet.

Yep, as someone around a 10 this is pretty spot on and lines up with my Grint stats for the most part.
Comfortable driver distance is a bit more though, around 245-250yds on the fly.

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with that image. How do the stats of a scratch vs. 10 handicap vs. 20 handicap golfer compare? Better golfers play better golf. I’m just not really seeing what story they’re trying to tell.

So basically if I improve my driving distance and accuracy, iron game, short game, putting, and make fewer bogeys and more birdies I’ll be a better golfer? Who’d have thought

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with that image. How do the stats of a scratch vs. 10 handicap vs. 20 handicap golfer compare? Better golfers play better golf. I’m just not really seeing what story they’re trying to tell.

It doesn't seem to be presented with narrative, just basically showing the stats. I'm not sure there's any real surprises in the numbers, but i guess it's just interesting to know.

I suppose the total driving is a bit less of a delta than i would have thought. 233yds at 46% versus 250 at 51% for a 0 vs a 10

That's not what i expected

The most glaring thing for me (as an 18) is that I need to limit big mistakes (doubles +) and 3 putts. The rest of the stats would put me near the 10 hdcp I used to be.

Though, driver distance doesn't seem to be a huge tell of handicap from who I've been playing with recently.

I think a stat for duffed / topped / shanked shots would (not be possible) be more telling, that's our biggest issue on the higher realm. Mine personally is driver and distance but I've seen plenty of 10-20 handicap people drive distances be all over the board.
I think you hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of golfers with 10-20 handicap’s who can hit long drives but just lack the consistency to do it regularly. Lower handicap players are going the have a better average drive because most of the time the bad swings are not that bad.

Makes perfect sense to me!

There’s a lot of truth in that chart. What’s really telling to me though are the scratch stats. 51% FW. 56% GIR. 57% 25 yard scrambling. I kind of thought those would be better.

So a 20 handicap difference and only about 5.5 more putts. So putt for dough seems off.

I agree with @Canadan that averages are kinda silly for a direct comparison. I have seen plenty of high handicappers that can putt and plenty that look like they are humping a football on the green. There are so many reasons why people are different handicaps.

Driver distance would be my focus for a comment. I played in a tournament last weekend and was paired up with a range of handicaps 7 - 26, The 26 guy was a nice young kid in his 20s just starting in his 2nd year. As we played we talked about the game of golf and I told him - one thing you will find is in these tournaments the guy who hits it the furthest is generally the guy with the highest score. He laughed and so did the rest of the group. I was the oldest at 77 and also the shortest hitter of the tee box. When we finished - we had to compare scores and just as I told the kid as we started - the order of the scores was just about in the order I said -- I was the lowest by 4 strokes. the 10 or so handicap who could hit a driver 290 yards had the highest score which was close to 100;.

So a 20 handicap difference and only about 5.5 more putts. So putt for dough seems off.

I agree with @Canadan that averages are kinda silly for a direct comparison. I have seen plenty of high handicappers that can putt and plenty that look like they are humping a football on the green. There are so many reasons why people are different handicaps.

The scratch gets up and down like crazy (in comparison), has double the number of one-putts and a quarter the number of 3-putts. Have the scratch putt like the 20, and they're not going to be scratch anymore.

But as has been proven, GIR is especially important, and few things do more to increase GIR than being closer to the green, so yes, driving is equally important.

Gotta be competent in all areas to score well.

The scratch gets up and down like crazy (in comparison), has double the number of one-putts and a quarter the number of 3-putts. Have the scratch putt like the 20, and they're not going to be scratch anymore.

But as has been proven, GIR is especially important, and few things do more to increase GIR than being closer to the green, so yes, driving is equally important.

Wait so if you make the scratch take more strokes they won't be scratch anymore? That is profound

I agree, these average summaries are listing the results of what golfers are doing and don't tell how they shot the scores they recorded for HC purposes.

I would like to see stats on a level that better explain the differences in scoring such as:

-shots into trouble situations
-penalties
-failures to achieve GIR+1
-significantly bad lag putts

The Up/Down conversion rate is certainly a significant contributor to scoring, but comparing it between golfers may not be as meaningful as it might look on this summary.

The higher HC golfers are often missing greens by hitting into bunkers and awkward situations, while low HCs manage their misses more effectively.

I wonder what the stats comparison would be for up/down from the same spots around the greens? I include sand saves in my up/down rate for simplicity.

Wait so if you make the scratch take more strokes they won't be scratch anymore? That is profound
Sassy Figure It Out GIF by CBS

But that math checks out

So basically if I improve my driving distance and accuracy, iron game, short game, putting, and make fewer bogeys and more birdies I’ll be a better golfer? Who’d have thought
I'll make it real easy for you. Just get a lot more pars. You'll score better.

I think the one putt, three putt, and GIR comparisons put a lot of color to that 5.5 more putts. When you get on the green in regulation 10.08 holes a round verses 3.6 times a round and you still take 5.5 less putts that's a pretty significant gap in quality of putting. The strokes gained putting would be higher than 5.5, probably more like 8 or 9 strokes gained.

The Up/Down conversion rate is certainly a significant contributor to scoring, but comparing it between golfers may not be as meaningful as it might look on this summary.

The higher HC golfers are often missing greens by hitting into bunkers and awkward situations, while low HCs manage their misses more effectively.

I wonder what the stats comparison would be for up/down from the same spots around the greens? I include sand saves in my up/down rate for simplicity.
For sand saves, Shot Scope has 37% for 0 hcp, 20% for 10 hcp, 15% for 20 hcp

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Glad to help!

My point was simply the idea "putt for dough" is invalid is not correct. It takes all facets of the game operating at at least a mediocre level to score. If any one part is awful, the golfer is not scoring.

What I think is true however is that if all phases were operating at exactly a middle-of-the-field level, the biggest improvement comes from GIR improvement. What leads to GIR improvement? More accurate irons. What's the easiest way to be more accurate with your irons? Hit from shorter distances. Therefore, distance off the tee is the source of the biggest gain potential.

I do stil believe for most amateur golfers, short-game is where the quickest gains can be had. Increasing distance and accuracy off the tee brings bigger rewards, but is much more difficult.

Looks accurate to me, but the driver distance is irrelevant to handicap.
I can hit it 260+, but my handicap is 21. That distance can get me in trouble very quickly, or it can help me.........double edge sword.

For sand saves, Shot Scope has 37% for 0 hcp, 20% for 10 hcp, 15% for 20 hcp
So even the best golfers are a little better than 1 in 3 chance of par/birdie from the sand. The lesson for most golfers then is get it on the green somewhere, 2 putt and move on. Job well done.

Back