Apparel Contracts on Professional Golfers

One-T

Skimming since Nov 2009
Reaction score
Handicap
if you were a professional golfer and you could pick any clothing line to be sponsored by. Who would it be? Why?

But here is where I really want the conversation to go. We are seeing guys leave the apparel company they were currently with for what we all would guess to be more money. Webb Simpson and Bubba Watson are 2 of the best examples I can think of where they just look the part in their apparel. Would you leave your current company that you love for more money? Or would you stay with what you know and love?

These guys make a lot of money, I personally would rather look great and feel great than take the extra money.

I think I'd go with the money. You just never know when your game could dry up and securing the future would be worth wearing some clothes I don't love.

I think I'd go with the money. You just never know when your game could dry up and securing the future would be worth wearing some clothes I don't love.

Even Loudmouth?

Fun thread.

I'd go with Puma & Alberto but next in line would be Oakley, Cross or Makia (a finnish originated company).

It depends on the amount of money, but I think I'd stay with the company with the better clothes.

This is a tough one. I think a lot depends on brand loyalty, etc but I might be headed for the money as well.
Both these guys just won a major championship last year and I'm thinking they are wanting to maximize their earnings while they can.
Bubba surprises me more b/c he was the face of TM, but I didn't see Webb so much as a prominent figure at Polo.

I'd wear whoever makes plus size clothing. Tent maker needed

Great thread. I personally would look to be sponsored by Alial Fital or iliac golf. These companies have a great sense of style as well as a great small american business feel. They can't do the contracts that these bigger companies are doing but the quaility of there stuff is TOP NOTCH. I personally would rather be the only staffer and have that personal attention rather than one of dozens and just get boxes of clothes mailed to me.

As for the second part of your question...I think apparel is much different than equipment...I truely believe it is harder to adjust to new sticks rather than a new polo so if some of these guys can make some extra $$ by switching it isnt a huge deal. Same as other sports Nike, Adidas, Li-Ning (D-Wade) athletes will do whats best for them.

Great question One-T. Golfers are their own "company" and the bottom line of any company or business is to make $ so therefore I'd probably go for the cash as long as I wasn't forced to dress like a goon.

If I had a choice of apparel companies I'd go with an Oakley. Why? Because they have a good mix of colors, cuts and styles that could fit my mood. They use great fabrics and have others items under their umbrella that could assist me through out my career.

Would I leave for the money?! It would depend on who was offering and how much. I'm loyal to a fault so it would take a great deal to move my feet. I have to assume if I have a clothing deal I am doing pretty well with my golf and contracts. So money would have to be enough that my family had no worries or at least we could act like it.

I love the apparel company that would offer the best contract.

That being said. I love how Oakley, Sligo, and Nike look.

I'd go with the money. Like other's have said, the Golfers are their "business" and have to make what they can before their time in the sport is up.

I like to think that I would not leave a company like TM or Polo for something like Loudmouth. If I was making the coin that Bubba made I would like to think that no amount of money would make me consider that change. I would certainly want to be comfortable in whatever I was going to wear.

However I can see making what could be more of a lateral change for the $$$.

Financially it would depend. If I had my choice as in I had a lot of top tens and winning, I would be loyal to the company that was with me earlier. I personally enjoy many of under armours offerings.

Career earnings of 17.5 million. not to mention
other monies earned. I would wear what I liked
Not go for the money!
  • Bubba Watson
  • Height:6-3
  • Weight:180
  • Born:11/5/78
  • Birth Place:Bagdad, Florida
  • College:Georgia
  • Turned Pro:2001
  • Career Earnings:$17,551,150

If I was going after money, I would go with Oakley. Loved their stuff before Rory and Keegan brought them forward in the golf industry.

I would want to be with Sligo overall though. Just a great group of guys (from talking with them on here and twitter) and their Canadian. Plus I don't even need to mention their clothing, which is arguably some of the best looking out there.

I'd want something that offers me an original look, even if it provides a slightly smaller paycheck. I also like the idea of taking a start up brand and maybe help shine some light on it and help grow it. Right now, I would go for Alial Fital for my shirts. Sligo would be another awesome choice as well.

I love what Adidas has done with their golf lines so would probably say Adidas with Nike right behind them. There is so many good lines of golf lines out there now that money is just about the only thing left for the tour pro to consider.

Not go for the money!
  • Bubba Watson

Devils advocate here, but you see it a lot in other sports where guys make all that money and then lose it either to overspending or paying out sums to agents and such.

Not go for the money!
  • Bubba Watson
How do you know that Bubba doesn't like Oakley (or whoever he ends up with) or that Simpson doesn't like Izod? Maybe they can be picky and at the same time get paid to wear something they do like.

for me it would just depend on the style of clothes...
say i love 3 different clothing lines, and 1 will pay me the most money to represent their brand...that's a no brainer.

but would i leave something i love to wear for something uncomfortable and ugly, just for more money? no. cuz i'm a big believer in the look good/play good philosophy.

Devils advocate here, but you see it a lot in other sports where guys make all that money and then lose it either to overspending or paying out sums to agents and such.
I agree with that. I would like to know how many professional golfers have gone through their monies.

Back