Anyone played PING i20 and Mizuno (HMB or JPX)?

Barnum1

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone played PING i20 and Mizuno HMB or JPX (preferrably 921)?

I'm playing i20s now and looking for new irons next year.
I have been looking at Mizunos (JPX Forged/HMP or HMB), so it would be interesting to hear if anyone could compare them to the i20s?
Especially when it comes to forgiveness, I need a tad more of that than in my i20s...

(I have tried i210, but did not hit them well at all, surprisingly.)

Thanks!

The Hot Metal Pros would fit well here and feel 1000000% better in my opinion.

The Hot Metal Pros would fit well here and feel 1000000% better in my opinion.

I think JB hit it on the nose since you're playing i20's - the HMP seems like the one to demo.

At the same time, hit some others to confirm that HMB or 921F are not sufficiently forgiving. In that way, you have no regrets.

Anyone played PING i20 and Mizuno HMB or JPX (preferrably 921)?

I'm playing i20s now and looking for new irons next year.
I have been looking at Mizunos (JPX Forged/HMP or HMB), so it would be interesting to hear if anyone could compare them to the i20s?
Especially when it comes to forgiveness, I need a tad more of that than in my i20s...

(I have tried i210, but did not hit them well at all, surprisingly.)

Thanks!

Did you also try the I500 or G700 series Pings? I’m playing the I500 and find them pretty forgiving and G700 are more forgiving than those. I stepped up to the I500 from the G700 and didnt suffer any.

I’ve played the 210 and the HMB.

I prefer the HMB, better look at setup to my eye and a little more power behind the strikes. That said, the iSeries irons are criminally underrated around here, they’re always damn solid sticks.

For what it is worth I hit the HMB directly against the i210 yesterday. Swing definitely wasn't my "A" game but good enough to play, and hands down I'd go with the i210 at least from 7 iron down. Around the 4 irons mark is where the HMB should excel just based off of design.

Thanks for all comments! So no-one played i20?
I guess i210 are similar, but more forgiving. So it would be interesting to hear a direct comparison with i20 specifically.

I didn't try i500 or G700, but the new G425 might be candidates.
Looking forward to next season and new irons :)

@Desmond
I will definitely try the HMBs. I hit a few shots with them this summer, and they felt fantastic (and looked great too).
Not sure if they are forgiving enough for me.
I saw in your posts here that you are getting them. I would appreciate your thoughts when you get to play them!

Agree HMP is a solid exploratory choice. If and when I look at clubs again anything Mizuno will definitely be in play. Years ago had a forged set with an issue with one iron head in set and they fixed free. Was truly great customer service.

I have played the I20s in the past, was a while ago, and moved to the Ping I500. I also had a set of I200s in there as well, which probably are close to the I210. The I200s were noticeably better in a number of regards to the I20s, and I loved the I20s. More forgiving, but also better feel. When I moved to the I500s, I actually thought I would try the Mizuno HMBs. So tested the I500 vs HMB and was surprised that the I500 not only fit my eye better, but performed a little better for me as well. Haven’t looked back since, love the I500s. Hope that helps and if you have specific questions, happy to try and answer.

When the i500's came out, the common theme of reviews was inconsistent distance. They were jumpy.

Yeah, I had read that about them, but I liked them in the simulator and ended up buying them. I use them with my Skytrak and of course on the golf course, and they have been consistent for me, but as usual, YMMV

Yeah, I had read that about them, but I liked them in the simulator and ended up buying them. I use them with my Skytrak and of course on the golf course, and they have been consistent for me, but as usual, YMMV

I almost bought them and then asked my instructor, who really likes Ping. He got me into the G400 driver. He confirmed the inconsistency of the i500 with his testing. Maybe they jump more for certain players.

When I did my fitting for the HMB's, I had not seen such tight dispersion and consistency in any iron for me. The fitter said, "Look at the screen, they are all bunched together."

I definitely went in with the idea of buying the HMBs. I had a brief stint with Titleist T-MBs, and kind of got interested in the idea of a performance iron with such a clean look. It’s possible I don’t have the swing speed to get too much jump in the irons. I swing the driver right at 105 MPH, so nowhere close to what most post in forums.

Of course, not to thread jack (promise this will be my last deviation), but if I was shopping now, I might look at a combo set like the Hogan combo PTX Pro/Icon. Those look like they might perform where I would need the forgiveness, and the blades just look beautiful

I have many sets like a lot of the equipment addicts on here and just added the new Ping G425's from Japan - they are very solid and think you'd enjoy trying them once they get released in the States. Look good - feel good and quite forgiving.

I definitely went in with the idea of buying the HMBs. I had a brief stint with Titleist T-MBs, and kind of got interested in the idea of a performance iron with such a clean look. It’s possible I don’t have the swing speed to get too much jump in the irons. I swing the driver right at 105 MPH, so nowhere close to what most post in forums.

You swing the driver faster than most peeps. It's more of whether the iron fits your swing than speed - it's whether the head-shaft combo works for you.

I am 63 and post injury and those days of approaching 105 are way behind me and that is still fine SS most levels of play. HMPs would work IMO as would some other top level brands with a fitting.

I played the i20 and switched to the JPX 900 Hot Metals. It was an easy transition. Not a huge difference in performance, but an improvement. My one complaint is that he Mizunos are showing a lot of wear in the face. I've had then about 3 years, as compared to the i20's I played for at least 4 years. The i20s didn't show anywhere near as much wear. Our range has a lot of sand in the soil mix they use, which is very harsh of softer metals. I had hoped the Chromoly used in the Hot Metals would be more durable, but it hasn't turned out that way. But, I had other troubles with my i20s - I had to send clubs back 4 times for weight port inserts coming unglued.

Thanks! Finally someone who played i20 and Mizuno :)
My i20s are 7-8 years old, and even my wife agree that they looked worn enough to buy new clubs.
We also have much sand on the range balls, and also on the mats. I try to wipe things off before hitting...

But I guess you experienced more forgiveness in the Hot Metals?

Thanks! Finally someone who played i20 and Mizuno :)
My i20s are 7-8 years old, and even my wife agree that they looked worn enough to buy new clubs.
We also have much sand on the range balls, and also on the mats. I try to wipe things off before hitting...

But I guess you experienced more forgiveness in the Hot Metals?
Yes, a little bit more forgiveness, but not a huge difference. The HMs are also a little better looking, and sounding, not that the i20s were bad.

You swing the driver faster than most peeps. It's more of whether the iron fits your swing than speed - it's whether the head-shaft combo works for you.
That’s funny, there’s another golf site I frequent, where everybody seems to hit it 300 and only play extra stiff shafts!

That’s funny, there’s another golf site I frequent, where everybody seems to hit it 300 and only play extra stiff shafts!

That's the Internet Golfer ... a rare breed whose actual sightings are similar to BigFoot. Lots of guys here who carry the ball 270+off driver and not 4i, and their posts are credible.

Last edited:
Thanks for all comments! So no-one played i20?
I guess i210 are similar, but more forgiving. So it would be interesting to hear a direct comparison with i20 specifically.

I didn't try i500 or G700, but the new G425 might be candidates.
Looking forward to next season and new irons :)

I gamed the I25s for a few years, and I just got fit for a combo set of Forged and HMB. The HMB were forgiving in my fitting even though my swing wasn't where I would have liked it. You will get more distance out of the HMB vs the I210 unless you power spec them. Both are solid irons, as I have hit the I210s, and they were very nice, just not as long as the Mizzies.

I gamed the I25s for a few years, and I just got fit for a combo set of Forged and HMB. The HMB were forgiving in my fitting even though my swing wasn't where I would have liked it. You will get more distance out of the HMB vs the I210 unless you power spec them. Both are solid irons, as I have hit the I210s, and they were very nice, just not as long as the Mizzies.

Thanks for the insight. Distance is not a priority, although I'm not a big hitter. I have fairway woods for distance (put my 4i out of my bag).
Control and forgiveness are the most important features for me.

Back