Anyone play an executive "short" course?

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I played an executive course for the first time. 2 par 5s, each less than 500 yards (from white tees), 6 par 4s measuring between 280-320 yards and 10 par 3s also on the short side, 125-160, with one at 165.
It was something different. Most of the par 4s had a slight dogleg to them, so I layed up on all but 1. I was trying to play them how they were designed rather that hit driver and chip up to green. Probably would have scored lower if I had just hit driver, may do that next time I play. After a few hybrids put me a little closer than I wanted, 5 iron ended up being the best club off the tee, which felt funny.
So anyone else play a course like this? Do you hit driver or layback to a distance?
I played behind some painfully slow groups, but still got around in a little over 3 hours. I would guess that a similar pace of play to what I had today on a normal course would easily be 4 1/2 + pace of play. So I would think full 18 hole round on an executive course could probably be played in a little ove 2 hours, with a normal pace of play, which is a plus.

I have two very near me. One of them in particular I really use to work on my irons. I love it.

I use it when I'm short on time or just want to work my short game.

I would work on the areas where I need improvement (which is both driver and hitting greens from ~100 yards), but I would normally hit a shorter club off the tee and try to hit more greens. It's your round of golf though so do whatever is more fun!

The "Executive Courses" I know of are all Par3.
I used to play one many years ago, longest hole was 145yds.
Loved it, just worked on 7i or under, and could walk through the course with a really light bag in no time at all.

Yes, there is a course near my house that has a full 18 and a 9 hole short course. I have a friend who likes to play the short course and have a beer afterwards so we do that once a month. I really like it. Good to work on some different shots than you normally hit. Also fun to try to go after it with the driver if you want to.

I used to volunteer at one and played it a lot because it was free. No longer have that gift of time so I generally do not go back and play it. It is a tight little track but not long, obviously. Good for practicing and working on parts of your game

I like executive 9-hole courses, because I can work on irons and short game, in a shorter time. It’s easier (and cheaper) to get some real practice in, away from a range.

I have two very close to me. I should play them more. There is a really short one I like to play a lot as well.

One near me. All par 4s and 3s. Love it. It’s kept up real well and challenges the short clubs and occasional driver.

Played a couple really enjoyed them. Great way to get some practice in and usually results in a quicker round.

There is a nice executive course around here that is a par 60 (three par 4s on each side). I too love it for dialing in the irons. On this course, there is only one hole I might pull driver. Three of the six you can't really pull driver because of a short dogleg. Two others you could, but it's a poor risk/reward. One of those is a slight dogleg left with water on the right, trees on the left and a bunker protecting front and right. The other has bunkers front left and right with only a narrow gap in between and long is dead into bushes and a fence.

The course is a beautiful walk with cliffs, trees, deer and other wildlife. Most holes give you the feel of being out in the woods on your own.

Growing up I used to play the executive course a few times a month and it was a great test for me as my game processed.

I went and played that course last year when I was in that area and had a lot of fun. It's a great way to work on some really important distances for most people's game. I'm a big fan and wish I had a closer one for my kids to practice on.

One of my favorite courses is a par 59 course. It has five par 4s, and the rest are 3s. It's actually a pretty challenging little course. One par 3 is only 85 yards, but another is 203. $17 for 18 with a cart.

You described the course I played a lot as I was learning the game growing up. I think it was set up similar. It had maybe 2 par 5's and the rest were a nice mix of par 3's and 4's, being a little heavier on the par 3's. From what I've heard, they have since redesigned the course and removed some of the holes and made it just a 9 hole course.

I LOVE executive and Par 3 courses. They are my favorite type of golf by far! Pace of play is hit or miss as a lot of beginners do show up.

A course I used to play had a short 9 hole course with 7 par 3's and 2 par 4's, but there were no bunkers or any hazards other than a couple of ponds, although the rough was always quite thick so if you missed the fairway on the par 4's you could have a tricky next shot

One of my favorite courses is a par 59 course. It has five par 4s, and the rest are 3s. It's actually a pretty challenging little course. One par 3 is only 85 yards, but another is 203. $17 for 18 with a cart.

13 par 3's yet you have the option of a cart? I don't quite see the point in that unless the holes are spread out over a huge area, which I guess is possible over there

I have a pretty decent 12 hole track I like to hit occasionally. Plus the pro shop has some OMG cheap prices on the W/S gear they stock. It has 9 par 3s that go from wedges to mid irons, plus 3 par 4s that will let you hit driver if you want. Nice way to get some work in and only $15 in season.

I play a par 31 course all the time. I wish we called it an 'executive' course, but its really just old and short.

~Rock

I play golf with the kiddos at an executive course in Augusta. It's a pretty decent 6-hole track with a couple of longer par 3's and two holes that demand driver off the tee. Plus since it's associated with the First Tee program, there are tees close enough for my kids to enjoy as well.

13 par 3's yet you have the option of a cart? I don't quite see the point in that unless the holes are spread out over a huge area, which I guess is possible over there

According to Google Maps, it's spread over about 65 acres. There are 4 small lakes on this course. It is definitely walkable, but almost no one does.

It started as a huge driving range behind a car dealership, then expanded to a range and 9 holes. They eventually closed the range and added the back 9. When it was just 9 holes, I used to walk it in about 45 minutes with a push cart. I was much younger then. :glasses-cool: At almost 52, I'm perfectly content to drive a cart now.

My home course is a par 57 executive, it’s just over 3000yds from the rear tees. The fact that the course is lighted, plays in a little over 2 hours and is close to home more than doubles the amount of golf I can play.

We play Tewksbury Country Club almost every Tuesday morning, it has 1 par 54 par 4's and 4 par 3's or something like that. Lots of water. It is great practice for shorter clubs and is fun and quick to play.

Go Caps! for the Virginia guy

I play an executive course by my house frequently. It's great for working on irons and short game but one of the biggest pluses is that I can usually walk 18 in about 2 hours.

I have a pretty decent one around me, Little Apple in Bellville OH. Conditions aren't the best and the greens are tiny, but it's pretty fair. It's also TIGHT. Fairways are often less than 15 yards wide and even though most par 4's are right around 300, few of them are green light, go for it. Several have water guarding the front, one is only 225 or so but if you've not played it prior you'll have no clue where the green actually is. (Hint; behind a row of trees). There's 8 par 3's and 10 short 4's.

I like to play it once or twice a year. I could usually play the par 4's even if I would hit no more than 7i off the tee, but that's no fun. No guts, no glory. I enjoy this course probably more than I should. Everything is shrunk down here which includes FW width and green size. My first round last year had me standing on 17 -1. Made eagle on 16 to get there. Hit a spinny wedge from 105 that hit the green and spun back into the lake on this near pennisula green. Managed to get up and down to go even. Hit a long iron just right and short on the short par 4 18th. Had a 30ft chip to give myself a chance to go under. In the middle of my downswing a kid fired up a chainsaw on the backside of the green, lol. Almost bladed one into him, then made bogey to go +1. I was really pissed at the time, below par rounds are rare for me anymore no matter the course. But I know why I wasn't at least even and I'm ok with that now.

There a ton of other courses in this area, and I haven't set foot on a true par 3 course in 20+ years. Yet every year I find myself drawn to this course at least once or twice. Sometimes it might be due to it being the first course to open. Maybe there would be no challenge in summer conditions with any roll at all. I may have to head there later this summer when it's dry and baked to try this out. I don't remember playing it in fast conditions and maybe I'd annihilate the course with no more than 8i off the tee.

I doubt it though. There's a few holes where I could see being hugely advantaged by being able to hit a high cut 8i that bounced forward 30+ yards. There's also a lot of holes that I could see that same shot rolling into trouble or the lakes.

Back