anyone gaming a 64* wedge

tjgus25

Reaction score
I play alot of shorter courses and have alot of 50 yards and in shots and was thinking about putting into play a 64* wedge. anyone do this and how are the results.

here are my current lengths with irons
17* hybrid 225
3 iron 215
4 iron 205
5 iron 195
6 iron 185
7 iron 172
8 iron 162
9 iron 150
pw 138
52* 125
58* 100

So i was thinking about dropping 3 iron and taking the 64* wedge on shorter courses 6,000-6,600 and then over 6,600 playing with 3 iron and dropping 64*.

any comments or info to help me?

64* wedges, and even 60* wedges cause more problems than they help with, for many players including professionals.

I would recommend when you have 50 yard shots, to change your mindset on the tee and hit maybe 3 wood or hybrid and leave yourself with a full 58*.

58* is more than enough loft to get you out of any trouble situation too.

I would agree with T21 wrt maybe backing off the Driver and hitting maybe a hybrid or 5 wood off the tees when your playing shorter courses. That said, there is always a need for a high flop shot in any golfer's bag of tricks (I personally have a 60 degree 12 bounce wedge for such situations). Just make sure that your picking the right bounce if your considering a 64 loft wedge as it can really make or break how successful you are with this club. Cheers!

I have a 64 that I will hit during practice sessions but I haven't put it in play yet.

60 scares me, 64 terrifies me

60 scares me, 64 terrifies me

I'm with you. I can do anything I need to with a 56*. My 60* caused me more harm than good and since dropping it, I've learned how to hit controlled wedge shots with my other wedges which has helped my short game immensely.

I have been trying a 60 lately, and it has helped me a bit on shorter shots... when I hit it correctly. I think my problems with that club are all in my head.

I would be worried that a 64 would mess with my head even more.

I had a 60* till some a-hole stole it. I'll have a 64* sometime in the near future. I LOVE flop shots.

Heck no. I even offed my 60 because IMO they are way more trouble than they are worth.

Plus, I can still hit flops with my i20 57* or my SCOR 57* with no problems at all.

My version of flop is different than most people's version of flop. I like to hit the ball 30 feet in the air and have it land 15 feet in front of me. A 60* takes the perfect shot to do it. I've even considered a 70* wedge for my FlopJack tendencies. But that's sometimes too hard to control. 64* is perfect for me.

Well Bridgestone doesn't make a 64* wedge, and I don't want to deviate and have multiple types of wedges :(
Not sure how bending a 60* would work with the sole of the J40. I have some research to do.

I have a 64* wedge. It's sitting in my closet cause I like my AW(50*) for shots 120-110. It just works better for my gaps. Sure the 64 is fun and I'm comfortable using it but it's use just didn't warrant keeping it in the bag with my distance gaps

64* wedges, and even 60* wedges cause more problems than they help with, for many players including professionals.

I would recommend when you have 50 yard shots, to change your mindset on the tee and hit maybe 3 wood or hybrid and leave yourself with a full 58*.

58* is more than enough loft to get you out of any trouble situation too.

What he said!!

I'm with you. I can do anything I need to with a 56*. My 60* caused me more harm than good and since dropping it, I've learned how to hit controlled wedge shots with my other wedges which has helped my short game immensely.

This. I don't fear the 60˚ but I haven't had a need for it since I dropped it. I think that ditching it has made me a better wedge player. I may add it back one day, but no time soon. I can flop a 56˚ well enough for me. Maybe not Phil like, but enough to use it the one time every 3-5 rounds that calls for a flop. Learning to hit the lower lofted wedges also keeps the ball down out of the wind a little more. Shaves some of the variables off. All that being said, different strokes for different folks. You want to game a 64˚, then more power to you. It's a game. Use whatever makes it more fun to you.

Have a 64 and used it quite a bit last year.

My thoughts on it were just a couple things and it depends on the player:
1) I'm not sure how wise it is (at my level) to try opening it up any more than it already is........I can play it open a decent amount, eventually if I try to hit a fully open flop I have a tendency to slide right under the ball with it and it goes nowhere.

2) On the touchy feely 40-50 yard shots, I felt that my misses feel way short.......something like if I was trying to hit at a flag guarded by a bunker I'd land in the front part of the bunker rather than the back part.

Obviously it's different for all skill levels, but after a lot of experimenting, I've decided that I'm a tad more consistent with the lower lofts........and sacrifice the ability to drop the ball on a dime on a front pin guarded by sand.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I prefer to have a 64* wedge and I actually don't see why it's considered so tough to hit. Unless, it's because you can slide under it and it can go nowhere. But I don't shank it or anything so not sure why it's considered so difficult.

I don't really use it for say, a 50 or 60 yard pitch. I use it for more getting out of sand or if a flag is just on the green and I need a flop shot. Or, if there is a bunker I need to go over and the flag is just beyond the bunker. Basically, when I don't want much roll out.

For me, I don't know if "easier" is the correct term, but I would rather hit my 64* wedge square, rather then open up a 60. I feel like it's easier to hit a club square than it is to open it up so I just hit the 64 as is. Hope that makes sense.

I actually carry 4 wedges. 50, 54, 58 and 60. I love my 60 and can hit all the variable shots I need to get dangerous within 100 yard with my arsenal. I read the Pelz's Short Game Bible last fall and it really helped my game a ton.

Love my 60 degree... I don't think I need anything more

You've just been tapatalked by Ford!

I have previously bagged a 64* wedge and used it regularly. Of course, if I am not in the bunker guarding the green I’m on/near the front lip. I found it very useful for those frequent short over the bunker flops.

With my new bag setup I stopped carrying the 64* and rely on opening the face on my 60*. I have not proven to be that consistent with this approach yet. Hopefully I will be able to adjust the operator headspace and timing issue. Failing that and I don’t improve in the next couple of months, I will probably pull my 5i and return a 64* to my bag.

I've always been of the mindset the closer you get the easier the next shot. I only game a 60° at this point, but when I have the extra cash I am going to get a 64° and get rid of either my 5 wood or 4 iron (3w can go 210-240, and 5i 180-200 so not a huge gap). My distances with wedges are PW-135, 50° 120, 55° 105, 60° 90. Twice today I had shots of about 75 that I would have loved a 64° to be able to hit a full shot. My course has a lot of holes where long is dead, so when I take partial shots I have a tendancy to come up short (as I did both times today). I've hit a 64°, and my only problem is that the higher the loft on my wedge the more often I rip up balls. Ah well.

I have a 64* in my bag, but I hardly pull it out. I only use it for chips/pitches where I need to pop the ball up high and land soft, but never hit full swings with it. For shots inside 50yds I take half swings with my 54*. As others have mentioned they are tough to play, I am very inconsistant with it and I am not nearly as confident with it as I am with my 54*.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

I had one that was given to me by a friend...it was an older Cleveland....I hit it okay for flops and short bunker shots, but it just wasnt practical for me...I ended up giving it to someone else.

one thing I never could figure out ... I use a 58° & if I need more loft than usual, just open the club face. Of course, can't open the club face on a lousey lie or off hardpan, so I suppose thats where the 64° would work better. Is the 64° basically intended for players that don't like to open the clubface ? Just wondering what the advantage of a 64 would be compared to just opening up a lesser lofted lob wedge ... thx

I have a 64 and a 60. I pulled the 64 when I switched to the CG16 irons because the lofts are so strong, I had a major gap in the middle and had to fill in with a 49 degree at times. I must never have got the memo about the 60 and 64 being a difficult club. They are my go to clubs and I try and put myself in position to use them every time. I suck with partial swings and bump and runs etc.... insert full swing 64 and kapow kachow!!!! If I could buy a 68, I'd rock it too.......

Back