Anyone ever done a mid-life career change?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all. So, for the last 25 years Ive worked various job in manufacturing. Ive built semi trailers, Ive build generators and power washers and for the last 12 years Ive worked in automotive manufacturing.
Over the last few years, Ive grown increasingly unhappy with that life. I have the blessing of finanical stability, minimal financial obligations (no kids) and a wife who is very supportive of me changing careers and being happier.
So, for the last 5 years or so Ive been thinking about what I would do if manuafacturing were off the table. At first I thought maybe Id become a golf pro but quite honestly, I dont think that I can handle the rigors of whats involved in getting the licence for it. So, then we come to barber. I like talking to people and as someone who has trimmed his own beard for the past 15 years, Im pretty confident with clippers and shears in his hands. Not to mention one of my hobbies is traditional wet shaving, so Im very capable with a straight razor. Ive talked to quite a few barbers and the owner of the barber shop that I regularly go to and everyone has been really supportive and encouraging of it, not to mention so many people who Im friends with have been so happy for me, encouraging and excited for me.
I must admit that Im excited for it too. Im ready for a new chapter in my life and I look forward to the freedom that it will afford me. Manufacturing has provided me with a good life but its just not what I want to do anymore and Im not at all happy with it.
So, long-winded story but I tell you that to ask you this: for those out there who have changed careers in the middle of their life, what did you do and how was that experience for you? Any advice and experiences that anyone can share would be most appreciated.

About 10 years ago (age 30) I went back to Uni to do a computer science course to step away from engineering that ide done since leaving school at 16, I’ve always had an interest in computing so wanted to do something related.

ide say follow your interests, if you have a natural talent for it or have picked up solid skills in your chosen interest then you will succeed. I went from engendering (CNC operations and assembly) to production planning. I found the transition from shop floor to office based easy as it was in the same vain and I’ve been overseeing a 30+ workcentred factory with 50+ operators for just over a year..not my initial choice in career path but it’s something I enjoy and excel at so it’s like I’ve found my calling.

take the leap and follow your passion, if barbering is your interest and you have time available you could do it as a second income until you feel confident to go all in.
Wish you the best of luck in your career choices, I say go for it.

I know there have been a couple of people on here that have. I believe @Jman did

Does Only Fans count?

I had a forced change when I gave up my career in aviation in the UK and moved to the States. That meant I had to find another job. I ended up working for NHTSA, part of the DOT as a crash investigator. Thankfully, after 3 years, I was able to rest lush my old career in aviation, but I loved the crash investigator job, it just didn’t pay as well, and being remote there wasn’t much chance for career development. I guess I was different as I was forced to change my career, and kind of fell into my new career with NHTSA. It’s pretty scary changing careers especially after being in a previous career for quite a time. But, had I not had the chance to reserect my aviation career, I’d have been happy in my new career. I say, if you are feeling like a change, as scary as it is to take the plunge, go for it.

I went from being a diesel mechanic for 13 years to teaching automotive to high schooler and now college students.

Hmmm i went from marketing to sales, but that probably doesn't count.

Does OnlyFans count?

Oh wait someone already asked that. Cause my channel rakes it in baby

I retired at 50. No body advised it was smart move financially. I opened a golf travel tour operation. That was 15 years ago. I make a few bucks planning trips. I enjoy that much more than selling financial products for reinsurance. But the pay, well, ya can't have everything. Ha

I've been in corporateland for decades and I've seen a ton of people switch careers. Some find that the grass is greener but others come back hat in hand wanting their old job back - there's just no way to tell how it might work out for a specific person. I will say that if you're financially stable then that puts you ahead of most, and if you can make the money work then go for it. Just maybe leave the door open in case the day comes you want/need to go back. We always moved rehires to the top of the list as long as you didn't burn the place down on your way out.

I'm not quite to my midlife yet, but I could foresee a major change down the road for me.

But in your situation, I would encourage you to go for it. Make the change. Life is too short for you to be unhappy everyday. The great thing is that you have your finances in order so you have afforded yourself the opportunity to do something different, even if it makes less money.

Another thought is that a change doesnt have to be "forever". Try something, and if you dont like it after 6 months, try something else. With your experience it sounds like you can always return to some form of manufacturing if it becomes a dire financial need. Just my thoughts.

At 24, CPA ... at 36, attorney, at 39 my own firm with two other guys (did not work out), at 41, CFO during a divorce, at 43, estate planning attorney, at 56, a General Counsel and still doing it.

Advice? Follow what you love doing and you will be successful and probably make some money. Be honest, friendly, treat people right, be aware of others with a different agenda, don't partner or don't partner with idiots, and take care of yourself.

i am doing one right now. i have been at my current job since 1997 and i just can't do it anymore. the thought of working here another 15'ish years was too hard to take. so i moved to the other part of the state and i am starting a new business at 50 years old. probably not the smartest move but i have good feelings about it.

i am doing one right now. i have been at my current job since 1997 and i just can't do it anymore. the thought of working here another 15'ish years was too hard to take. so i moved to the other part of the state and i am starting a new business at 50 years old. probably not the smartest move but i have good feelings about it.

It will be fine.

Interesting thread as I was just reading an article this morning about how people “quietly quit” their job. Merit, motivation, money and movement don’t exist.

I’m in such a funk with my career right now. My office is pretty much the old West Virginia joke, being asked for directions and he says “you can’t get there from here”.

Maybe it’s a mid-life crisis, maybe it’s shear boredom. Dunno. My kids are doing awesome, wifey loves her work and her work loves her. Maybe just taking one for the team.

Tuning in to hear perspective.

As someone who has been doing the same thing for far too long I wish you luck.

I went from retail to Corrections at 41. I was to old to be a PO in my state so here I am. 8 more years till Pension time!!:p

Yes, insurance claims -22 to 32, Big Three (GM) from 32 to 44, college professor 44 to 60 (present). Also had a mix of luck plus reading tea leaves. Left GM one month before bankruptcy and grabbed my retirement money before the stock imploded.

I've got 20 years in current industry, plan is roughly 5 more years doing this and then making a change and move. FL is where we will retire and I plan on finding something that allows me to enjoy things a bit more and find less stress/less 24/7 nature that is my industry now.

I wish you luck in your change!

I was forced to when I moved here. I went from running my own investigation/CPP company to doing billing for the sewer department of local government...and I HATE every single second of it.

If I could cook BBQ and make decent money doing it, I would probably do that. As it is, I'm looking at possibly getting into laundromats in a few years.

I've pivoted, and pivoted wildly, since 2008. Each time, I took on a role with zero prior experience. I'm currently selling real estate in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, and it's no different in that regard.

Thanks for the replies, feedback and support. Unfortunately, I dont see barbering as being a 2nd income or side hustle kind of thing. I dont see myself working my 45-50 hour a week factory job (and having to switch to the night shift to make barber school work) and then doing both. All of the advice that Ive been given by those in the barber industry is to either do it and make it your thing or dont do it at all. They all told me that those who try to do it as a side hustle usually dont succeed.
I also dont see myself ever returnig to my current job once I quit. Money isnt really a factor for me because my wife makes plenty and I live a pretty simple life. Even if I struggle for a few years as a barber while Im building up my clientele and even if I never make the money that I currently do, it doesnt matter. Im to the point in my life where Ive made good money and have bought nice things and it never really brought me any lasting happiness. Im to the point where happiness and freedom are more important than money. If the money comes eventually, thats great but its far, far down the list of priorities.
Its also nice to hear others who are kind of in the same boat as I am. For a long time I bought into the thinking that I should just be thankful that I have a job and that I can afford to buy nice things but I also dont think that a person should work a job that they hate for 30 or 40 years only to one day hopefully retire and then spend the rest of their life trying to find what they really want to do. It seems like human beings are meant for more than that.

Back