Well, at White Lake, there are only a few mom and pop hotels, private homes, and 3 huge RV parks. Most people buy a travel trailer or a "park model" because of lot size restrictions and cost. Then, leave it there. I built a deck around it and a covered porch.

So its not really RVing, since it never really moves.
I get it, just not my thing and find it funny that it is called a Travel Trailer.

I have a 25' Forest River trailer. Love staying up at the lake in it.
The lake is only 10 miles from a great little course.
There's nothing better than sitting around the camp fire with friends at night, then getting up in the morning for 18 holes of golf and then back to the lake for an afternoon of jetskiing and bbq'ing.

Just out solar on the end of last season. Power for days.

1d00a9b07a049c209b828a7ed2a5d4eb.jpg

We have a 40' Fleetwood Revolution Diesel Pusher.

After hundreds of nights of tent camping over my life, I was finally ready for an upgrade. We bought a used 28' travel trailer off my aunt & uncle a couple summers ago and take it around campgrounds over the summer. We keep it on some friends rural 60 acres with woods & creek & 4 wheeler trails so its our go-to for weekend nights as well.

Pulling the trailer has always been a little bit of an adventure. First with a for Expedition, now with an F150. Actually pulling is no problem, stopping and manuevering the real adventure.

I dont get it. What is the point of a TRAVEL trailer if it never travels? Just buy a condo or rent a hotel, right?
Condos are substantially more expensive, same for the hotels. Also they’re much more of a hassle.

I retired in 2008. Bought an F250, and Dutchman 31K TT. Both were in new like, but used condition.

Both have been to Alaska, Cabo, Florida Keys, and Maine twice. Also several shorter trips in between. Lots of golf played on all those trips.

Still have both, but our traveling around has slowed considerably.

So its not really RVing, since it never really moves.
I get it, just not my thing and find it funny that it is called a Travel Trailer.
No. Not really RVing. I mean it’s all the same problems, just with a less changing view. ?

The mere concept of this is so foreign to me. I love being outdoors, and all the stuff that comes with it. I have never experienced a desire to drive my lodging to a large grass/gravel parking lot only to hook it up next to 100 people doing the same thing. How does that win over a hotel or actually camping?

The mere concept of this is so foreign to me. I love being outdoors, and all the stuff that comes with it. I have never experienced a desire to drive my lodging to a large grass/gravel parking lot only to hook it up next to 100 people doing the same thing. How does that win over a hotel or actually camping?
Well, you get less gas mileage, and have more headaches, but you get a big screen TV. So you know, win some lose some.

One of my buddies has a Sprinter 4x4 from Sportmobile and I'd like to get one once my wife retires. She wouldn't be into the RV trips but my son and plenty of buddies are. I'd use it for fishing/camping trips into places like northern MN, Canada, and Glacier National Park. In my youth I took more than a dozen canoe camping trips in Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Quetico and I'd love to get back into doing those a couple times each year as it's only a few hours north of where our retirement home is. It's 4,000 square miles(almost the size of Connecticut) of pristine wilderness and one of my favorite spots on the planet.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 1.48.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 1.41.43 PM.png

Last edited:
My wife and I have looked several times. Now that we are selling the lake house it becomes more likely. Problem is our tastes and wants lead us to the bigger unit. Honestly we don’t need a 40 foot unit , but it’s hard to pass on some of the luxuries you only find in those bigger units.

One of my buddies has a Sprinter 4x4 from Sportmobile and I'd like to get one once my wife retires. She wouldn't be into the RV trips but my son and plenty of buddies are. I'd use it for fishing/camping trips into places like northern MN, Canada, and Glacier National Park. In my youth I took more than a dozen canoe camping trips in Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Quetico and I'd love to get back into doing those a couple times each year as it's only a few hours north of where our retirement home is. It's 4,000 square miles(almost the size of Connecticut) of pristine wilderness and one of my favorite spots on the planet.

View attachment 8927015

View attachment 8927016
Those are pretty slick. It’s the price that gets me.

Yep, his was about $140k all decked out.
They are really nice and compact for easier use. I think for solo traveling it is ideal. They are built tough that’s for sure.

My wife and I have looked several times. Now that we are selling the lake house it becomes more likely. Problem is our tastes and wants lead us to the bigger unit. Honestly we don’t need a 40 foot unit , but it’s hard to pass on some of the luxuries you only find in those bigger units.

It really depends on what you are going to use it for. We thought we needed bigger too, but then realized we didn’t spend more than a day or two in one place and the gas mileage benefits and ease of maneuverability of a smaller unit made more sense for us.

Really it's two things. With five of us, I'm not sure how we'd do in a smaller RV. That being said, we've talked about renting one soon, just to see.
The other side is that with flight benefits, we tend to just fly to where we want to go. Now, I completely get the "the drive is part of the adventure" side of it. There's actually an RV show here in Dallas in a couple of weeks that we're going to visit. This may get us moving that way quicker.
Growing up, we had an F250 with an 8’ camper. There are 6 people in our family and we went camping almost every second weekend in the summer. It was fantastic! We were only ever in there to sleep, so who cares?! We spent our days hiking, playing in the water, digging holes and lighting marshmallows on fire... awesome memories!

Sometimes I feel this way too. It just depends on where you’re going. When we go camping, we make sure to head to the less beaten path.

These days, we do have a pop-up 16’ trailer and we take it out from time to time. But we mostly tent it. Much more portable and we can get to the really interesting spots. Grab the kayak, some essentials and a tent and I’m gone on the river for days.

We have a tent trailer. I sometimes wish we had hard sided but then again our unit fits in the garage and is easy to haul. We haven’t used it much lately but we made plenty of great memories with the kids when they were younger.

We have a tent trailer. I sometimes wish we had hard sided but then again our unit fits in the garage and is easy to haul. We haven’t used it much lately but we made plenty of great memories with the kids when they were younger.
I like the easy to haul feature for sure, but I’ve also sometimes thought about going full hard sided. Maybe one day. But no black water, thanks.

I like the easy to haul feature for sure, but I’ve also sometimes thought about going full hard sided. Maybe one day. But no black water, thanks.

The black tanks aren’t a big deal. Not fun, but once you sort out a system they’re not too bad. I’m not sure I’d want to deal with a cassette version though.

The black tanks aren’t a big deal. Not fun, but once you sort out a system they’re not too bad. I’m not sure I’d want to deal with a cassette version though.

Agreed. Way easier than I expected and have done it now hundreds of times between two RVs.

After looking more into the Sprinter Vans I’m thinking we may end up with one.

Yeah, just not high on my list of things I want to maintain. I’ve done both the black tank and cassette thing, and given the choice I’ll pass on both. That could always change though...

What type of rig do you have?
Enjoy it?

I would like to try an RV trip but every time I've looked into renting one the price seems about double compared to driving a car and staying in a hotel or motel.

Back