Any equipment change pondering/experimenting going on?

Parrot

Bird of the People
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Aside from MC teams' club selections, are you thinking about changing up something in your bag? Maybe it's a new set of irons, a driver, fairway or hybrid, or a new putter? New shafts? New grips?

Are you experimenting with something that might lead to a change?

Since going back to a 10.5* driver, I've been thinking about the top of my bag between driver and 5i. Do I keep it as is - 5W turned down to 16.5, 7W at standard loft and 5H - or go with something else? Those clubs are the ones I hit the least. Normally, I hit 5W anywhere from twice on a couple of par 5s to 4-5 times if I hit a bad drive and need to cover some yardage or play it off the tee, if I'm playing the back tees. 7W could be 1-2 times, perhaps 3, for the same reasons as the 5W. 5H is a 1-2 times per round club. Maybe a tee shot on the long par 3 or a second on a par 5. While there is overlap with the 5H, 5i is most often used as a recovery club and is coming around as more of a full swing club. Honestly, I'm not sure I change anything but it's a ponder.

Another is whether a shaft change in my irons would help tighten up my L-R dispersion.

You?

Definitely thinking about an AW and what to stick between my driver and 7W.

Just bought a Ping G425 3 hybrid from Callaway Preowned and trading in my Epic Flash Heavenwood for it. I hit these hybrids so much better than I do fairway woods, so it was time to make the change.

I’m seriously considering standard size grips as opposed to the midsize I have been playing for more than 25 years.

Been pondering the 3W and 3hy slots, mostly just to get something new in the bag. Picked up a 19* UW to see if that will kick the 3hy out of the bag. Initial swings in the garage on the launch monitor are putting the hybrid at risk.

Might put the stealth 2 plus 5 wood in the bag and take out my 3 hybrid.

I’m seriously considering standard size grips as opposed to the midsize I have been playing for more than 25 years.
Interesting. I just switched to oversized/jumbo after playing midsized for as long as I can remember.

Interesting. I just switched to oversized/jumbo after playing midsized for as long as I can remember.
I’m hoping it will help me release the club. It gives me a different feel for the clubhead.

Just picked up a Callaway Rogue ST Max LS from CPO. I want to do some testing with a low spin head compared to my gamer. In my view, I was seeing my ball balloon and fall out of the air too often so wondered if I could knock some spin off and see what happens.

Hard to just go test things up here with no fitter or similar… everything is a buy to try. Nonetheless, I’m quite looking forward to getting some swings in with it!

Aside from MC teams' club selections, are you thinking about changing up something in your bag? Maybe it's a new set of irons, a driver, fairway or hybrid, or a new putter? New shafts? New grips?

Are you experimenting with something that might lead to a change?
Actually I have one recent change, and one experiment going on.

The recent change is the new shafts in my irons. I won a set of Steelfiber Private Reservs i95R shafts from PGAPappas a while back, put them in my Tour Edge Exotics C722 irons, and what an incredible improvement over the stock shafts that were in them. I was fit into Steelfiber i95Rs in my previous irons, so was confident it would be a nice improvement, but they are actually better than expected.

On the experiment part, I put the shaft that I just bought from @Parrot , a UST LIN-Q M40X Red, into my Tour Edge Exotics E723 driver. Just one outing with it so far, but pretty promising. The best shafts I've had in this driver so far have been a Ventus Red 4T 5R, nice feel, good distance with lots of run-out in summer conditions, and a UST Elements Chrome 65 F3, similar feel, a little better carry distance, but less roll-out, so a good winter/wet conditions choice. The LIN-Q Red seems to be the best of both so far, as good or better distance than both the others, and a tighter feel without being too stiff or boardy. Time will tell, but this one might be a keeper.

Yep but at this point right now it's pointless. My budget won't allow it right now. The time's coming though. Probably by the next PGA show in January of 2028 maybe at this rate. :ROFLMAO: :cry:

Everything in my bag is going to be open for debate. I really want a new driver to go along with the THP shaft I got from the Project X experience last June. Top candidates would be Callaway AI Smoke, PING G430, and Titleist. Same thing goes for irons. I want maximum forgiveness and the G430's look appealing to me as do the T350's from Titleist. I just can't seem to find room in my budget to swing it pun intended.

LAB putters. The Mezz to be exact. Really wish I could find one in the 38"-39" to try for a minute.

The recent change is the new shafts in my irons. I won a set of Steelfiber Private Reservs i95R shafts from PGAPappas a while back, put them in my Tour Edge Exotics C722 irons, and what an incredible improvement over the stock shafts that were in them. I was fit into Steelfiber i95Rs in my previous irons, so was confident it would be a nice improvement, but they are actually better than expected.
That's great. My one experience with Steelfiber was in the Epic Forged I tried back in 2019. I couldn't jive with them. Feel was off for me. I know there are some newer models that folks here have said are much less harsh feeling. The ones I hit were the 90FC stiff. Maybe a R flex in one of the newer models would be a good fit. Something I'll check out sometime down the road.

Driver is working, but I’m going for a proper fitting later in the month, so the driver may get switched out. I’d also like to look at replacing the heavenwood, but I don’t know with what.

All the tour edge gear I will test but I really want to try new irons not because mine don't work but just because new shiny things are nice.

I feel pretty good with where things are right now. I could possibly add a Qi 4-5 iron to the bag.
What @ddec said in the preview :
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 1.18.31 PM.png

The reduction in cut spin intrigues me and I want to try it. I've got that set coming so might as well bench the King Tec hybos a few weeks and see what I've got with a Qi 4 and 5iron.

I'm going to give Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ a chance to knock out my current FW (G430 Max).

as my driver has recently gone to poopoo I"m pondering a new driver. That said I know it's me and not the driver itself as all 3 drivers I have are all poopoo right now!

I was about to come in hot to this thread and you took me out in the first sentence lol.

Good thread. I'm pretty set I think, pending new wedges coming in from a recent fitting, and assuming my bag doesn't get blown up (in the best possible way) by a THP experience. I did just grab a 1K Black for my TSR2+ to match my other woods after seeing some lefts recently with that club, but that's less an experiment and more just getting things consistent.

Depending on how my continued testing of the Lean Lock goes, I could potentially switch back and forth from time to time between that and my old trusty Odyssey Black Series, or even maybe a putter fitting could be in the cards.

Will be changing out my SM8 wedges for new SM10s more than likely. Might give the Edel SMS wedges another go with the new swing I’m working on. My SM8s have seen plenty of play.

I feel pretty good with where things are right now. I could possibly add a Qi 4-5 iron to the bag.
What @ddec said in the preview :
View attachment 9262378

The reduction in cut spin intrigues me and I want to try it. I've got that set coming so might as well bench the King Tec hybos a few weeks and see what I've got with a Qi 4 and 5iron.
until you look at them haha
the face design behind the long irons is kind of interesting. It's about the only aspect sadly.

Good thread. I'm pretty set I think, pending new wedges coming in from a recent fitting, and assuming my bag doesn't get blown up (in the best possible way) by a THP experience. I did just grab a 1K Black for my TSR2+ to match my other woods after seeing some lefts recently with that club, but that's less an experiment and more just getting things consistent.

Depending on how my continued testing of the Lean Lock goes, I could potentially switch back and forth from time to time between that and my old trusty Odyssey Black Series, or even maybe a putter fitting could be in the cards.
1K Black is a lot of stick. I went softer last year to address the lefts and have enjoyed what I've seen.

Back