Another New Guy in AZ

AZHack

Reaction score
Hi All, from another newbie on THP.

Figured I might as well do a little intro so, here’s my story/background when it comes to golf.

I took lessons and started playing when we lived at Clark AFB in the Philippines, I was 12 (I still use my Ping Anser putter from that time). We returned to the states and I spent my freshman year of high school at Vanden High in Fairfield CA where I varsity lettered on the golf team. The next year, my sophomore year, we moved to Sacramento and I promptly found girls, drugs, drinking and partying (such a mistake!).

Picked up golf again several years out of HS and would play a few times a week. Usually 9 holes after work. Met a young lady who would eventually become my wife and started playing a lot with my future FIL, who was a big golfer. We played with the Roseville Mens Club and did a lot of traveling around NorCal and NV for club tournaments. I carried a 6 handicap then. Highlights back then were playing both Poppy Hills and Spanish Bay not long after they opened. Also, attending all 4 days of the ’87 US Open at the Olympic Club in SF (Daily City) and playing Pebble a couple weeks after the ’92 US Open.

After that came kids and a move to AZ. Golf was again set aside as work and family responsibilities took up most of my time. Played here and there maybe a couple times a year. After some time here one of my Commanders, another rabid golfer, talked (without much persuasion I must say) me into playing on the squadrons intramural team, which was during work hours, once a week. That got me back in a groove again for awhile. a few years in they closed the course here on the base and intramural golf went away. And I stopped playing again.

A couple years ago some dear friends from CO started coming to our city to visit about once every 3 months. My buddy asked me if I wanted to play with him and his BIL one afternoon. Didn’t even know he played. I was in! Now, we play a couple of rounds every visit, which is great, and I’m starting to get the bug again to play a bit more often.

So, that's where I am currently. Will most likely retire this year and figure I'll get to start playing a little more consistently. Might even think about some new clubs!

Cheers!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP! I’m not sure where you are but there are some great guys in that state that get together a lot. Tagging @mtbloco & @Wildcat so maybe they can loop you in better

:welcome:

If interested in a league see AZTHP

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

Thank you. I'm down in Tucson.

Looks interesting, I'll check it out a little more.

Thank you
I’m in Tucson as well. We should play soon

Welcome to THP!

welcome

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

If you don't mind playing with a hack, yeah, I'm in. Where do you usually play?

Lucky enough, my buddy from CO is here now and I'm going to burn a day of sick leave because we have a 8:10 tomorrow at AZ National. FORE!!!

Thanks for sharing your interesting history with us.

If you don't mind playing with a hack, yeah, I'm in. Where do you usually play?

Lucky enough, my buddy from CO is here now and I'm going to burn a day of sick leave because we have a 8:10 tomorrow at AZ National. FORE!!!
Sewailo mostly. Our whole league is made up of hacks. But I play all over Tucson and Phx. Next time I need a 4th I will PM you

Welcome!!

Welcome

Also, welcome to Tucson! I live across from Fred Enke GC near DM AFB, but play AZ National quite often. If you’re looking for a group to play with, AZ THP has golfers of all skill levels.

Welcome to AZ and THP. I’m up in Phoenix. I’ll gladly tee it up with any and all THPers.

(I’m a hack too)

Welcome to THP!

Back