An unspoken golf rule that needs to change tomorrow: "Hole-In-One golfer having to buy everyone else drinks!"

My HIO I won a $1400 pot and my bill was $400. No biggie

I read that Clubs can get HIO insurance for members. There is nothing saying that the HIO guy can't limit the celebratory drinks to his playing group for the day.
Mine does, the same 5 per member. It usually goes half to the player, the other half to the bar tab.

If the ace’er pulled a fast one like that, it would get around quickly and kinda police itself.

if i ever make a hole in one, everyone is getting a courtesy shot of Malort, and im gonna watch every one of them drink it :-D

if i ever make a hole in one, everyone is getting a courtesy shot of Malort, and im gonna watch every one of them drink it :-D
I've never wished ill on someone's HIO chances, but.... lmao

I’ve never had a HIO. My wife had her first a couple of years ago as a relatively new golfer. Guess who paid for the drinks?!! 🫤

Fortunately, it was a late Sunday afternoon and there weren’t many folks in the market for a cocktail. I dodged a bullet!! 😄

I’m in the minority here. Been playing 50 years without an ace. If I’m ever fortunate enough to shoot one I’ll gladly by drinks for everyone at whatever clubhouse I’m at!
I’m with you… And I’ve already explained to LDax that if the day happens, I’m buying the drinks.

When I got my first HIO at the muni, we were the only foursome on the course. It was February, 35* and 20 mph winds. Got lucky there. If I got a HIO during the summer at the muni it would only likely cost me 3 or 4 pitchers.

At the club, it’s a keg. However, we have an HIO club. If you are in it you’re billed $5 whenever someone makes an HIO. The keg is about 1/3 - 1/2 the proceeds.

Hell, I'd be ECSTATIC to buy the whole joint a drink. Give me a HIO once per month, forever, and I'll happily work it into the budget.

Do I think it's kinda silly, though? Yup.

What's worse is that my club has a standing tradition that it's not just one round of drinks for all on the happy Ace. It's rounds all night long?

Within some reason, I guess. Because there's a dollar/month per member deposited into a HIO basket, happy Aces will notify the bar of a cutoff amount. Usually $300 to $500, as I've heard. They break even or still pocket some.

I mean, it's a party. Smile, and... CHEERS!

Around where I am, it's usually just buying a decent bottle of whiskey (evidently the ladies usually go with gin) and putting it on the bar. I got my first HIO this last Fall, I don't mind the cost of one bottle. My rule is that I don't buy drinks for other people and I don't let others buy drinks for me.....it's a slippery slope and I don't like "owing" people if they buy me a drink. There are always a few people who get the reputation for letting others buy the drinks but not buying other people a drink.....I just avoid that situation.

I've never wished ill on someone's HIO chances, but.... lmao
with the way my luck is, it will happen in the only THP event i ever go to :-D

My only question; Is Malort worse than Grappa? Because truly cannot imagine anything tasting worse than grappa.
NOTHING is worse that malort. During our ryder cup style end of the year match at lawsonia, some joker put malort in a empty bourbon bottle, and set it on the 18th tee box, said joker was in the first group, Said joker watched the rest of the groups come in from behind the 18th hole (which is almost like an amphitheater) as inevitably someone thought they were getting a nice swig of bourbon, which turned out to be the devils own excrement known as Malort. Yes, i fell victim as well.

I witnessed an HIO yesterday. He lucked out in that there was hardly anyone at the club. I got a Diet Coke out of the deal. Normally, it’s a keg, but it’s covered by the HIO club with money left over.

If you‘re at a private club most members have HIO insurance that they pay monthly and if you make and ace it covers all the drinks for anyone at the club that day. That was my case with my ace last July. It was fun because I got a lot of texts from guys that played later in the day or showed up for dinner to find out their first drink was on me. :) I think the insurance is something like $4 per month at my club.

NOTHING is worse that malort. During our ryder cup style end of the year match at lawsonia, some joker put malort in a empty bourbon bottle, and set it on the 18th tee box, said joker was in the first group, Said joker watched the rest of the groups come in from behind the 18th hole (which is almost like an amphitheater) as inevitably someone thought they were getting a nice swig of bourbon, which turned out to be the devils own excrement known as Malort. Yes, i fell victim as well.
"devils own excrement" :ROFLMAO:
That's a tough way to end a round.... no matter HOW you played!!

Didn’t it start as a way to keep people honest and get others to believe you actually did it?
I've always seen it as a bribe to your group to actually attest to the HIO.

Our club has HIO insurance. It is $10 per hole in one made at the club, and it covers one drink per member at the club (two locations) that day. They usually do an email blast too, so I'll swing by for my "included" drink when there's a hole in one.

And the member who made the hole in one also gets a plaque and $500 in pro shop credit, so it is worth the insurance.

Agreed, but every group that is a more or less weekly gathering, we've always looked at it as completely optional. If the Ace wants to buy drinks, it's for the group only.
We pay $10 hole in one insurance in my leagues. with anywhere from 30-50 guys signed up, that usually pays for at least one (sometimes two) HIO by someone in the group.
It is funny though when the odd guy who wouldn’t put in his $10 gets stuck with a big bar bill.

When i hit mine it was in a casual work golf league. I think there were only 16 or so people playing, half of which did not stick around for drinks. I bought the first round for 7 or 8 people.

Back