Amazon Prime...is it still a value?

Just_Hacking

"I miss, I miss, I miss, I make"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
16.6I
I have noticed that most of our orders over the last many weeks that use to arrive in 2 or even 3 days are now arriving in 6-7 days. Almost everything I looked at tonight would not arrive until Friday or Saturday. I need the item by Thursday of course. The quick delivery Amazon use to offer appears to be a thing of the past.

We rarely watch any of the shows on Prime and while we use some features with the Alexa devices I am really starting to wonder if the increased price they charge for the service is worth it anymore.

So, If the slower shipping times remain do you think Amazon Prime is still worth the price paid?

Not as much as it used to be, but still somewhat

I think so, just for the free shipping. We order a lot of stuff though since we live in Bumblefuck.
I could see when you live out middle of nowhere that prime would still be a big plus. We have two Walmart superstores within a few minutes drive. We can order everything we need, drive over and have a brought to our car so the free shipping doesn't mean as much as it used to for us.

For me it is. I can still order a bunch of stuff for delivery by tomorrow. Those are typically fast and on time. Their handling times for typical Prime orders has gotten slow. Sure it’s 2-3 day shipping but if it sits in the warehouse for a week before shipping, that’s not doing me any good. I think the marketplace quality lowers the value more than the handling time.

It’s the holidays as well. Always slows it down. But we have a hub here and a ton of stuff can get overnight or even same day shipping, so we’re still seeing value.

For me it is. I can still order a bunch of stuff for delivery by tomorrow. Those are typically fast and on time. Their handling times for typical Prime orders has gotten slow. Sure it’s 2-3 day shipping but if it sits in the warehouse for a week before shipping, that’s not doing me any good. I think the marketplace quality lowers the value more than the handling time.
We rarely had one day shipping on anything despite having a distribution center 7 miles from our house. Most everything was 2-3 days. Now almost nothing comes in that time frame. I was going to order some of the Amazon basic batteries this week that I could have waited a couple days on but it was going to be Wednesday or Thursday of next week before they came. 🤷‍♂️

I still get my items in 1-2 days, unless the post office touches it.

Then who knows 🙄

It’s the holidays as well. Always slows it down. But we have a hub here and a ton of stuff can get overnight or even same day shipping, so we’re still seeing value.
Very true about the holidays. I am hoping that afterwards that the shipping time frame will pick back up. If not, I'll probably be ordering a lot more from Walmart just picking it up.

My wife uses it quite a bit, no complaints. She’s not much a “let’s go shopping” type, but click and wait suits her just fine.

Between Thursday night football and tv it pays for itself. That’s before the 1000 dollars of shipping I get.

We have never gotten next day, and rarely get 2 day shipping.

At Christmas time? Well worth it for free shipping. Doesnt hurt that it gives me something to watch while the kids are asleep as well though.

Everything I order typically shows up the following day with free shipping. Well worth it just for that, in my opinion. All the movies, music, etc., are a cherry on top.

The free shipping makes it worth it, but my wife orders enough that is we went 2 days with no delivery the Amazon guy would probably knock on the door to make sure we are ok.

I was just discussing this with my wife and also a couple of work friends this week.

I’m not convinced it’s worth the $120 a year anymore. I don’t watch their TV content, I don’t use their music service, buying stuff on Amazon feels like rummaging through bins at a swap meet for something halfway decent.

The whole site has been overrun by cheaply made and manufactured “throwaway” junk. I don’t love using it and running what little small businesses exists out of the marketplace completely. Amazon feels like the worst kinda of over consumption and consumerism to me.

We are going to be canceling our prime for 2024.

I get more stuff delivered same day than are delayed.

It is for me. My wife's prime and I'm not so every time I want something on Amazon she wants to order it for me. 😁

I was just discussing this with my wife and also a couple of work friends this week.

I’m not convinced it’s worth the $120 a year anymore. I don’t watch their TV content, I don’t use their music service, buying stuff on Amazon feels like rummaging through bins at a swap meet for something halfway decent.

The whole site has been overrun by cheaply made and manufactured “throwaway” junk. I don’t love using it and running what little small businesses exists out of the marketplace completely. Amazon feels like the worst kinda of over consumption and consumerism to me.

We are going to be canceling our prime for 2024.
There's some really good Prime content.

I think it is still worth it. Everything I order seems to arrive in 2 - 3 days. Very rarely is anything time sensitive that I order from them so if it took 6 or so days I wouldn't blink an eye. We watch a lot of movies on Prime so realize good value from that feature also.

There's some really good Prime content.
They don’t have YouTube golf do they? I just don’t watch regular tv or movies.

Weirdo and outlier, I know. 😜

Thanks for the input everyone!!

I was going through my purchases tonight and the delayed shipping just started about a month ago. I did some digging and for some it started happening 2, 3 even 5 months ago. It is definitely a trend. I know we are nearing the holidays and that has to be considered, but the delays weren't this long during the height of COVID. Having a distribution center so close makes it equally puzzling to me. If it gets sorted out and shipping times pick back up I will probably keep it.

I still get my items in 1-2 days, unless the post office touches it.

Then who knows 🙄
I'm retired and often working on my front yard garden when I receive postal deliveries.
Since I started greeting them when they stop by my post office deliveries have been quite prompt!

Prime video is better than most other streaming services IMO plus you get TNF, so assuming you’d pay for that anyway Prime is like having your own personal shopper who works for free. Why even go to the trouble of driving to the store when Amazon brings it all to your doorstep? They could double the price and I’d still be all in on Prime.

Back