Adams Redline Iron & Hybrid Set Preview

I've been trying a number of different irons and what I noticed about this (the 7 iron which is all the golf shop would let me take out) was how light it was (swinging) compared to most other irons. Took me a little while to get the hang of it. Once I did though, high and straight would be the words for it. And I'd have to echo pretty much all the other comments on here as well.

The irons look pretty sweet, but I have a question for you about the hybrids. In the photo, the head looks really big for a hybrid. Is it just the photo, or is it a larger head? Can you compare the size to the Mashie for me? Thanks in advance Hawk.

I've been trying a number of different irons and what I noticed about this (the 7 iron which is all the golf shop would let me take out) was how light it was (swinging) compared to most other irons. Took me a little while to get the hang of it. Once I did though, high and straight would be the words for it. And I'd have to echo pretty much all the other comments on here as well.

That's funny you say that because I actually felt the exact opposite on Sunday at the range. I had been swinging a TM CB and then picked up the Redline. My first thought was, "wow, this seems heavy." From experience, I know that how the weight feels can be decieving. I actually had the same thought the first time I picked up a Mashie, and we all know that it is as light as a hybrid comes. I think swingweight must play a big part in that feeling.

The irons look pretty sweet, but I have a question for you about the hybrids. In the photo, the head looks really big for a hybrid. Is it just the photo, or is it a larger head? Can you compare the size to the Mashie for me? Thanks in advance Hawk.

They hybrids are larger than the Mashie. Truth be told, they are more akin to a fairway wood than a hybrid in head shape and size. They also seem quite a bit heavier.

Well, first off let me say that Jrod hit the Redline 7iron downhill a bit. It was 218 yards measured by GPS. My driver shot was just a bit farther :(

I'm really not going to get into to much detail with these updates as I want to save as much as possible for the review, but my thought are that I still really like these. I'm loving the distance increase I'm seeing, though I'm not even close to dialed in with it. I'm going into shots feeling like I'm under-clubbed and then hitting the ball the right distance or too far. Perfect example is a par three today. Toed the first one in the water stupidly, so decided to tee up from the same spot instead of dropping where it went out. Hit the ball clean and was 5 yards off of a flag that I'd normally take at least an extra club with.

Distance isn't all these have to offer. I'm finding them very easy to hit and they seem to work just fine with the Midwestern turf.

Well, first off let me say that Jrod hit the Redline 7iron downhill a bit. It was 218 yards measured by GPS. My driver shot was just a bit farther :(

I'm really not going to get into to much detail with these updates as I want to save as much as possible for the review, but my thought are that I still really like these. I'm loving the distance increase I'm seeing, though I'm not even close to dialed in with it. I'm going into shots feeling like I'm under-clubbed and then hitting the ball the right distance or too far. Perfect example is a par three today. Toed the first one in the water stupidly, so decided to tee up from the same spot instead of dropping where it went out. Hit the ball clean and was 5 yards off of a flag that I'd normally take at least an extra club with.

Distance isn't all these have to offer. I'm finding them very easy to hit and they seem to work just fine with the Midwestern turf.

Other than the distance these clubs are the real deal. They feel amazing through impact, are very accurate, and did I mention LONG? I mishit the PW 170 yards. I was also extremely impressed with the way these cut through the turf. First impressions are these things are the real deal. What more could you ask for.

That's funny you say that because I actually felt the exact opposite on Sunday at the range. I had been swinging a TM CB and then picked up the Redline. My first thought was, "wow, this seems heavy." From experience, I know that how the weight feels can be decieving. I actually had the same thought the first time I picked up a Mashie, and we all know that it is as light as a hybrid comes. I think swingweight must play a big part in that feeling.

Haha. It was probably just the weightlifting I was doing before going to the range.

I agree with you on the feeling. I probably wasn't swinging it as hard as I might normally because it was going so far. Maybe that has something to do with it? That also probably helped explain the "straight" part of my description. :smile: Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to take an entire set out to try. Maybe in a few weeks the shop will have one to demo...

In the meantime, I anxiously await your review.

That could just mean you were properly stretched out for a round of golf.
Haha. It was probably just the weightlifting I was doing before going to the range.

I agree with you on the feeling. I probably wasn't swinging it as hard as I might normally because it was going so far. Maybe that has something to do with it? That also probably helped explain the "straight" part of my description. :smile: Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to take an entire set out to try. Maybe in a few weeks the shop will have one to demo...

In the meantime, I anxiously await your review.

To the guys testing these out, how do they compare to the Wilson Di11's in terms of forgiveness, ball flight, feel, workability, weight and balance, and performance out of the rough (and any other criteria you would use to differentiate or equate them)?

If anyone is interested in ordering - PM me - I'll get you a THP coupon. http://www.blind9golf.com/adams-golf-redline-hybrid-irons.html

Hawk, looking forward to reading some more about what you think. Mr. Blind 9 loves these. I think he's thinking about bagging them. He gets on our simulator all the time to hit the 6 iron demo we have. It's about time for him to upgrade his irons and these are in serious contention.

To the guys testing these out, how do they compare to the Wilson Di11's in terms of forgiveness, ball flight, feel, workability, weight and balance, and performance out of the rough (and any other criteria you would use to differentiate or equate them)?

I haven't hit them side by side, so it's hard for me to get too specific. Feel is subjective, but I'd say the Redlines are quite a bit 'softer'. Distance wise, the Redlines are as long as anything I've hit and I've hit pretty much everything out there this year. Ball flight is actually pretty similar. High and piercing, though the Redlines may be just a hair lower for me. I don't work the ball, so I can't help you there. As for weight and balance, I just can't give you a good comparison, but I will say that I like the way the Redlines feel in my hand. They seem a bit weighty, but that could just be a matter of perception. I haven't had any issues hitting them out of the rough. I would say they perform very good for me in that department. Lastly, I'd say the Di11's appear smaller from the top.

If anyone is interested in ordering - PM me - I'll get you a THP coupon. http://www.blind9golf.com/adams-golf-redline-hybrid-irons.html

Hawk, looking forward to reading some more about what you think. Mr. Blind 9 loves these. I think he's thinking about bagging them. He gets on our simulator all the time to hit the 6 iron demo we have. It's about time for him to upgrade his irons and these are in serious contention.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he did. They really are a winner. I never would have guessed that they'd perform as well as they do.

Thanks for the feedback, Hawk. I realize that comparisons between different clubs gets very subjective. I guess what I'm really wondering is whether one of these sets seems to be significantly better than the other. Based on your thoughts on the Redlines and the Di11 thread on this site, though, they both sound like solid irons. I've hit the Redlines; now if only I could find a place to hit the Di11's (or preferably both side-by-side)...

I think both are very good sets of irons and I'd be very happy with either one.

Hawk,

How would you compare them to the Cleveland CG16's? That's a set of irons currently up on my list and they seemed very soft and long like the Redlines, but I didn't have them both out at the same time.

Thanks!

What is something you will never hear my wife say

Hawk,

How would you compare them to the Cleveland CG16's? That's a set of irons currently up on my list and they seemed very soft and long like the Redlines, but I didn't have them both out at the same time.

Thanks!

They both are among the softer and longer of the distance/GI irons out there imo. They are both very close in distance for me. I was hitting the 7i vs 7i last weekend and both were excellent. I think it could come down to personal preference really.

Been putting these out of my mind. If I start stressing out about when mine will get here I'll go crazy. Glad to hear they are working out so well for you Hawk. What distance are you getting out of the 6I? Range balls seemed to go about 170 for me, but I am horrible at getting distances at the range.

And Patty, Mr. Blind9 said the same thing to me during our phone conversations. These irons just came out of nowhere this year.

6i iron has been around 160-170 club for me depending on contact. That's a major improvement in that the CB 6i was my 150 club and the S3 6i was 155-160 club. I also find that the 6 iron is easy to hit for me.

Been putting these out of my mind. If I start stressing out about when mine will get here I'll go crazy. Glad to hear they are working out so well for you Hawk. What distance are you getting out of the 6I? Range balls seemed to go about 170 for me, but I am horrible at getting distances at the range.

And Patty, Mr. Blind9 said the same thing to me during our phone conversations. These irons just came out of nowhere this year.

6i iron has been around 160-170 club for me depending on contact. That's a major improvement in that the CB 6i was my 150 club and the S3 6i was 155-160 club. I also find that the 6 iron is easy to hit for me.

Good news. Sounds like our distances are about the same.

I have a set of Adams A7os, how do you think these two sets compare?

They don't in my mind. I own an A7OS hybrid and it is an extremely solid club. Just goes left on me so the A7s work better for my swing. Even with the misses I have left with the A7OS hybrid I will take it over the included hybrids in the Redlines. The Redline hybrids are the Super Hybrid/Super Black hybrids. I am having success with a 17* Super Hybrid so it is not a garbage club. Problem is the 21* 4H Redline hybrid was going almost 50 yards past the Redline 6I on the range. This sounds good, but in practice it is not practical. I can't have that large a gap between 6 and 4. Also, the Redline hybrid is not all that forgiving. It's better than the iron it replaces as far as forgiveness, but there are better options for sure. 200 yards in I want distance control and the hybrids that are included in the Redline set don't do it for me.

As to the irons. No comparison. The A7OS irons were about a club length shorter and went a bit too high for me. Feel, distance, and playability is superior in the Redlines. Forgiveness is better in the A7OS set. However, plenty of forgiveness is built into the Redlines. As a total set I give the edge to the A7OS given the mismatched hybrids in the Redlines. Redline, Super Black, and Super Hybrids are small fairway woods. I can't think of any other way to say it. Redline irons are a different matter. They are good enough to kick my beloved Mizuno MX200s away and that is saying something.

So, as an 8 piece set the A7OS gets my vote simply because it is an easy to hit well gapped set of clubs. BUT! Redline irons crush the A7OS irons in every way I can think with a slight edge to forgiveness for the A7OS irons. You can order up the Redlines as a pure iron set with as many as you want and keep the A7OS hybrids. I bet they gap out better.

Well, I actually played the a30S last year, and while they aren't the exact same as the a70S, they are similar. As griff said, the Redlines are a different type of set. The OS are more of a hybrid iron, at least up to the 8, while the Redlines are more a large cavity back GI iron.

The a30S I played were about as forgiving as irons come and the feel on mishits was pretty sparse. You can definitely tell mishits more with the Redlines, though they aren't harsh in any way. I'd give the distance edge to the Redlines and say that they flight a bit lower for me, but not much. Redlines don't have too much offset, but I don't remember the 0S have that much either.

As for hybrids, they are completely different. The Redline hybrids are more like a fairway wood while the 0S hybrids reminded me more of an iron. To be honest, I don't really like either that much.

Hawk,

Thanks!

They both are among the softer and longer of the distance/GI irons out there imo. They are both very close in distance for me. I was hitting the 7i vs 7i last weekend and both were excellent. I think it could come down to personal preference really.

Good to hear. Thanks for the input. I think right now, the "personal preference" part has me leaning toward the Clevelands, but they both seem to be great clubs! I still might try to get a set of the Adams to take out for a round. You know, just to confuse myself some more...

I like the clubs I just have a hard time with the look of the hybrids. Great reviews...

I like the clubs I just have a hard time with the look of the hybrids. Great reviews...

Nice thing is you don't really have to order them with this set. There are tons of different configurations offered.

Nice thing is you don't really have to order them with this set. There are tons of different configurations offered.

I was checking that out , That is a great thing to have so many options. You did a super job, I really like the honesty in your reviews. Great Job Hawk

Back