A Putter Refinish Gone Horribly Wrong

JF

Reaction score
It all started as a simple putter refinish on an old putter I was messing around with. The goal was to chop off the plumber's neck, drill a new hole straight in for the shaft, black oxide the head, and clear coat it. When the black oxide part came, I soon discovered that the putter was made of aluminum.

Poor putter. So sorry it had to end this way.

PutterFail017_zps59d196d5.jpg

Wow that's crazy man. Do you have any pictures of the putter before the refinish began?

Sure do.

I noticed it starting to deform a bit a few minutes into the initial heating, I thought that would add another cool twist to it so I kept heating because I hadn't applied the black oxide yet. After I applied it (adding it makes it significantly hotter till it cures), the entire half of the head fell to the floor and made a big splat.
PutterFail010_zpsa55179f7.jpg

This is the other half of the putter head.

PutterFail018_zps2dc7c87e.jpg

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry, but I'm laughing so hard. That sounds EXACTLY like something I would do. "Hey, this is deforming a little? Awww, that'll make it look even cooler." Then plop as it melts to the bottom of the shop floor. That is me to a tee. Sorry for your loss man, but thanks for the look at myself. :clapp:

J.

Is that putter left handed? If it is, I didn't know you were a lefty.

I did not even know that aluminum was used for putter heads. Sorry about the lesson learned there buddy.

I did not even know that aluminum was used for putter heads. Sorry about the lesson learned there buddy.

The Scameron Kombi, Ping Nome, and SeeMore SB series are all aluminum. I'm sure there are other newer putters that are aluminum.

Sure do.

I noticed it starting to deform a bit a few minutes into the initial heating, I thought that would add another cool twist to it so I kept heating because I hadn't applied the black oxide yet. After I applied it (adding it makes it significantly hotter till it cures), the entire half of the head fell to the floor and made a big splat.
PutterFail010_zpsa55179f7.jpg

Wow that's crazy! I really liked how your THP stamping came out by they way. Well, onward to find a new putter for messing around with

The carnage....

Oh wow. That's crazy. Sorry about that man.

Whoda thunkit?

Aluminum is cool when it melts though, am I wrong?

sorry that happened.

I'm not a lefty. I experimented with left handed putting for a while last summer, hence this putter.

I'm assuming the ones you listed are a higher quality aluminum and wouldn't break in half if heated to about 700*. Good aluminum melts at about 1200* which I don't get that hot when I heat finish anything.

I got a laugh out of it as well. It was a whopping $5 investment. Lesson learned: don't stamp plumbers necks. Pics show that fail. This does explain why is was so easy to stamp this one. Basically aluminum foil crunched into a putter shape.

THPing on Tapatalk

Poor THP putter you will be missed, that bites man!

The Scameron Kombi, Ping Nome, and SeeMore SB series are all aluminum. I'm sure there are other newer putters that are aluminum.

And a ton of old ones......

Looks like a putter car accident. Sorry bud

Tapa Slice

I'm sorry man, hope you weren't too attached to it.

This was no emotional wreck to me. Ive wrecked I think three other $5 putters messing with them too. The only sad part was seeing the THP stamping bubble up and splat to the ground. Poor stamping.

Canadian, it's so much fun to do this kind of stuff! I have a couple of putters that have turned out simply awesome, and some that have been wrecks (not on this scale though). Mad science with putters.

THPing on Tapatalk

Canadian, it's so much fun to do this kind of stuff! I have a couple of putters that have turned out simply awesome, and some that have been wrecks (not on this scale though). Mad science with putters. THPing on Tapatalk

Any pictures of the awesome ones? I'm a tinkerer.

I have never rolled any of those, interesting that with most of us liking a "heavy" headed putter that so many are available.

RIP, putter.

:rofl:
Oh my god, I know I shouldn't laugh but that is some funny ****! As another member said, this is the kinda thing I'd do too.

Wow that sucks!! Time for a new project!

Back