I am actually interested in the 54 degree wedge. If anyone has a PW, 50, 54, 58 Setup, please tell how you like or dislike the setup...

I have that setup. I like it alot. Still think I prefer a 50, 55, 60 but that is just a personal preference.

I have that setup. I like it alot. Still think I prefer a 50, 55, 60 but that is just a personal preference.

Do you think you could live without the 54?

I just got a 2h instead of a 5 wood. I have contimplated playing 3 wedges but I have always done very well using just a 52 and a 58. I have always done well opening the face of my wedges to get the desired shot that I want. So I decided to get a callaway ft hybrid in a 2h instead of a 5W

Do you think you could live without the 54?

Could I live without it? Sure. But this game is already hard enough and it is the perfect 90 yard club for me. Plus I use it out of the bunkers if I do not use my niblick.

Could I live without it? Sure. But this game is already hard enough and it is the perfect 90 yard club for me. Plus I use it out of the bunkers if I do not use my niblick.

Has that niblick really been your go to club in the bunkers now JB? My sand shots have just been killing me lately, I bet I lose 2-4 strokes a round if I get into the sand because of it. I took a lesson over the summer for sand and was great after that. But then I didn't end up the sand for probably 2 months or more and never practiced and now it is back to crap again.

You could alway replace your 3 wood with a 3+ wood (13 degree) and then a 4 wood. It would give you more distance than you currently have and then fill the gap in between that new distance and you hybrid.

Thats if you are able to hit a 13* 3 + wood. I have heard they are more difficult for some people.

Big gaps between longer clubs are not that significant in my opinion. My driver and 3w have at least a 30+ yard gap between them and the 3w - hybrid gap is probably 25 - 30 as well, on a normal day. Outside of a certain distance most people are not going to be aiming at the pin anyway so your gaps on scoring clubs are a lot more important. For FW woods you should carry the longest club that you can hit straight off of the fairway to maximize distance on the shot. That may be a 2W or a 14 degree driver or maybe a 7W or a 5W - whatever you can hit straight and longer than your 3 or 4 iron or the longest hybrid you carry.

I probably asked the wrong question.
Could you go an entire round without that club (54) and not miss it.
If not, what would be a club you could take out of your bag and not miss it at all?

For years I struggled finding the right setup, now I think I have one that fits my game. I am not sure I want to take any out. I could take a club out and play a round with it, but I guess my question is, why? THe obvious choice would be the Niblick, but I simply love it. It makes hard shots easy and easy shots easier for my game.

Back