5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

Mine was turning 30 basically. I knew I was living an unhealthy lifestyle and I wanted to get into shape for myself before a Doctor told me I had to. I was in shape before, I played soccer until I was 18 but let myself go basically throughout college. So it finally just came to a point where I hated looking in a mirror and seeing what I looked like. Being close to 300lbs, single, 30yrs old just wasn't cutting it for me. I always stayed "active" in the summers I played softball and I was definitely more athletic than most people gave me credit for due to my size.

I get my motivation from all the times I was called Fat or all the times I felt awkward. I just use that as fuel for when I'm working out. Thats why I chose the at home DVDs because no one needs to be there and see me struggle or to see me get mad. I get real moody when I workout and its because I am thinking of hurtful things to push me to get in shape.

I was 290 in january and I never thought I would be able to do any of this, I fight with cravings almost everyday. I LOVE food more than life, and I am doing this for the Food. I am going to suffer now so I can get to a weight I can maintain and be able to eat what i want just in the right portions. I am not a superficial person by anymeans and I usually don't really care what people think of me (as evident by the manifesto videos lol). I just want to do this so I can look myself in the Mirror and be proud of what I see and know that I worked my ass off (literally) for it.

Good for you General! If it does not come off at the pace that you want, don't get discouraged. Keep plugging along and change your lifestyle not just a short term goal. You can do it and sounds like you have made up your mind to work on a new you. Proud of ya man!

My theory on the whole working out thing is "If It were easy then everyone would do it" I struggle daily with not wanting to workout but I know that I am only giving up on myself, and I am tired of giving up on myself. There really is something exciting when I'm out of breath and I'm looking at the floor and my body is sore and there is sweat on the mat. It gives me a daily feeling of accomplishment.

I also found that when I cut out as much refined sugar, grains, and salt from my diet that My head cleared up. I have always prided myself on my brain and my useless knowledge. And My mind feels sharper and more clear since all of this started.

I hope all of this can motivate some of you, I just posted on here to get my motivation from all of you so hopefully I can return the favor.

Good for you General! If it does not come off at the pace that you want, don't get discouraged. Keep plugging along and change your lifestyle not just a short term goal. You can do it and sounds like you have made up your mind to work on a new you. Proud of ya man!

Thank you! I am staying motivated and I've hit all my goals so far! I will be rewarding myself in April when I run the www.toughmudder.com

Thanks for sharing that General. I'm glad you decided to make the change in your lifestyle. It's all about the choices we make every day. It's up to us.

Thanks for sharing that General. I'm glad you decided to make the change in your lifestyle. It's all about the choices we make every day. It's up to us.

Exactly. It was my choice at the time to let myself go and I honestly just stopped caring. Its a hard road back but I have a good support crew with everyone here on THP and my friends and family.

Exercise programs help keep you young and your mind alert. Lord knows I need an alert mind so I do my best to hit the gym four days a week. Today is one of those days and it helps me sweat out the toxins I take in over the weekend. Stuff like beer and non essential type foods.

I am still hitting the gym and working hard for the October Ga. Get Together. I would like to challenge those who are going to the big THP Outing next year to recommit yourselves to a program to either lose a certain amount of weight, lose a size in clothes, or better physical condition in general! Who is not afraid to join the next group to be fit come next May 2012? The only way you can fail is give up on yourselves.

I've been hitting the gym 5-6 times per week since this thread started. I've loved every minute of it but put on too much bulk so trying to integrate circuit training in as well as more cardio/ab work so that I can cut up. I am now 6'1 220 lbs and would love to drop down to 205-210 without losing any strength (although it is vain, I love being able to throw around heavy weights.)

Watching the crossfit game has really given me a lot of ideas on different lifts and circuits that I wil be trying.

I love that you are posting your diet. You're actually movtivating me to go back on a low carb jump start diet. I've been cringing at some of the pics/videos of me in the testing thread. I really need to get back on a diet/fitness routine!! Keep it up!!!

Me too! I really let myself go the last six months or so, I had all but gotten rid of my gut before.:at-wits-end:
I also find low carb to be the best way to get rid of unwanted pounds. The hard part is that it seems to put yourself at odds with pretty much everyone you know. It seems like people come out of nowhere to try and pull you back into eating starch smothered starch with extra sugar on top. Along with a side order of sugar frosted starch lumps.

Ok so come on guys/gals let's get this motivation on the road! We can do it and no doubt about it! I am going to the gym 4 days per week for an hour or more and then doing my putting practicing at the golf course 4 days a week for an hour or more.. I want to get fit and putt well and win next year! It will happen!!!!

Thought I'd share some info that helped me with dieting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I've followed this guy's principles on putting on mass for the past year with great success. He has a ton of info on that, but even more info on losing weight. There's no "Hollywood Diets" or any other miracles to be found, its just cold hard scientific facts on how to change your body the most efficient way. There's even a forum if you need advice on certain info if needed.

Rule of thumb:

Easiest way to gain/lose weight is track your calories. I find that if I eat around 2800 kcals a day (maintenance) then I will stay the same weight. So if I wanted to lose weight, I'd eat 2300 kcals each day (500 below maintenance) until I reached my wanted weight. If I wanted to gain weight I would eat 3300 kcals a day (500 above) until I got there. Its really that simple. You can eat total junk food and lose weight, as long as you are eating less calories, but obviously that's not healthy.

Its hard to get an idea of how many calories you eat each day unless you actually write down every single thing you eat. Do that for 3 weeks and then you'll have a natural feel for how much you need to eat to lose/gain weight for the rest of your life.

Hope that can help someone.

Thought I'd share some info that helped me with dieting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I've followed this guy's principles on putting on mass for the past year with great success. He has a ton of info on that, but even more info on losing weight. There's no "Hollywood Diets" or any other miracles to be found, its just cold hard scientific facts on how to change your body the most efficient way. There's even a forum if you need advice on certain info if needed.

Rule of thumb:

Easiest way to gain/lose weight is track your calories. I find that if I eat around 2800 kcals a day (maintenance) then I will stay the same weight. So if I wanted to lose weight, I'd eat 2300 kcals each day (500 below maintenance) until I reached my wanted weight. If I wanted to gain weight I would eat 3300 kcals a day (500 above) until I got there. Its really that simple. You can eat total junk food and lose weight, as long as you are eating less calories, but obviously that's not healthy.

Its hard to get an idea of how many calories you eat each day unless you actually write down every single thing you eat. Do that for 3 weeks and then you'll have a natural feel for how much you need to eat to lose/gain weight for the rest of your life.

Hope that can help someone.

Thanks Marc. I'm going to check that out tomorrow. I still can't believe how much you have changed in the past year. It's really been a cool thing to witness. Just goes to show how far determination can take you.

ok just finished an hour at the gym and back home cooling off for a bit. Next it's off to the golf course for my first of four days this week for my one to two hours of putting practice. Yep gym work plus putting practicing keeps the stress off body.

I put an extra 30 minutes onto my hour workout today to tone up for the Georgia Get Together. I honestly believe my exercise routine has been instrumental in my golf game getting better and my focus getting sharper. Exercise is the ticket to the fountain of youth! Man I love it and the high I get after a good workout is awesome. Now being physically fit and working on your game at the same time pays dividends. I have recently committed to four hours per week for exclusive putting practice. One hour four times per week to mirror my four days of gym work. Being retired this is not a hard task and it is making me smile on the golf course. It has taken much stress off my golf game because I feel like I can at least two putt from anywhere on the green. I want to become an expert putter as I know my days of the huge tee shots are gone so I must focus on the small stuff. Exercise and putting is my two goals and commitments.

Good stuff all! I think for me personally I'm gonna have to lay off the sauce. Several times in my life I have experienced dramatic weight loss, and pretty effortlessly. First time was by counting calories, the second was through strength training and strictly following a super low fat diet, the last few times were various styles of low carb diets (still the best for me). The common denominator for those times was that I wasn't drinking any alcohol, or at least very little. I like to have several drinks at night because it relaxes me and I go right to sleep, as opposed to, often lying there for hours thinking about things. Any ideas for a sleep aid that wont frustrate my efforts to lose weight?
I've tried Valerian root, that stuff smells so disgusting it's hard to choke it down. I've also used 5htp in the past with pretty good results, but it seems to take a long time to have any effect, also it also seems to cause pretty wild, vivid, dreams.

Good stuff all! I think for me personally I'm gonna have to lay off the sauce. Several times in my life I have experienced dramatic weight loss, and pretty effortlessly. First time was by counting calories, the second was through strength training and strictly following a super low fat diet, the last few times were various styles of low carb diets (still the best for me). The common denominator for those times was that I wasn't drinking any alcohol, or at least very little. I like to have several drinks at night because it relaxes me and I go right to sleep, as opposed to, often lying there for hours thinking about things. Any ideas for a sleep aid that wont frustrate my efforts to lose weight?
I've tried Valerian root, that stuff smells so disgusting it's hard to choke it down. I've also used 5htp in the past with pretty good results, but it seems to take a long time to have any effect, also it also seems to cause pretty wild, vivid, dreams.

BamBoo -- I tell ya what calms your mind and puts weights on the eyelids easy and it's Benedrayl. My spelling might be off a tad but it is the allergy medicine. Pop two about an hour before bed time and you are going to sleep good. It works for me and you can buy the store brand wal-mart etc. if ya want to save a few bucks. I sleep hard on that stuff.

BamBoo -- I tell ya what calms your mind and puts weights on the eyelids easy and it's Benedrayl. My spelling might be off a tad but it is the allergy medicine. Pop two about an hour before bed time and you are going to sleep good. It works for me and you can buy the store brand wal-mart etc. if ya want to save a few bucks. I sleep hard on that stuff.

Thanks OG, I've taken that before I believe, might be a good time to try it again.

I am still hitting the gym and working hard for the October Ga. Get Together. I would like to challenge those who are going to the big THP Outing next year to recommit yourselves to a program to either lose a certain amount of weight, lose a size in clothes, or better physical condition in general! Who is not afraid to join the next group to be fit come next May 2012? The only way you can fail is give up on yourselves.

OK Gray!! I'm in for another challenge.

As folks who followed last year's 5-10-15, you all know I lost over 100lbs. Well as of today I'm 5lbs from 130lb loss and being at same weight I was when I got married.

The thing for me now is firming it all up! Sure is harder in my 40s than it was when I was in my 20s.

So here's what I'm going to pledge by the 2012 Outing: to be firm & sleek with no fear of a bikini (OK, maybe not a bikini) but a cute spaghetti strap sundress for sure!

I actually got on our treadmill yesterday for 20 minutes. Not bad for the first time in ... Quite a while. I'll try and use the treadmill a couple times a week and add to that playing hockey 3 times a week, that should cover my cardio. I just need to get the strength aspect going.

Thinking a P90x chinup bar or something.

I hope to be down 2" in waist size by the outing. 36" down to 34" or less.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

Cutting out the alcohol seems to be working, 5lbs gone already.

OK Gray!! I'm in for another challenge.

As folks who followed last year's 5-10-15, you all know I lost over 100lbs. Well as of today I'm 5lbs from 130lb loss and being at same weight I was when I got married.

The thing for me now is firming it all up! Sure is harder in my 40s than it was when I was in my 20s.

So here's what I'm going to pledge by the 2012 Outing: to be firm & sleek with no fear of a bikini (OK, maybe not a bikini) but a cute spaghetti strap sundress for sure!

Good going MaryC! I am happy for ya and I have no doubt you will reach your goal.

I actually got on our treadmill yesterday for 20 minutes. Not bad for the first time in ... Quite a while. I'll try and use the treadmill a couple times a week and add to that playing hockey 3 times a week, that should cover my cardio. I just need to get the strength aspect going.

Thinking a P90x chinup bar or something.

I hope to be down 2" in waist size by the outing. 36" down to 34" or less.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

Belbs you are going to be a lean mean golfing machine buddy and looking forward to playing with 18 with ya this trip!

Cutting out the alcohol seems to be working, 5lbs gone already.

Bam - Great job man and the weight loss is going to help in so many ways. Keep up the great work and determination to take care of your health!

OK it's November an it's coming close to my renewal time at the gym. It is hard to believe I have been going for one year as so many people join after their New Year's resolution, go for a few months, and then grow tired of it. I am going to sign up for another year although I may break my payments down quarterly instead of the full year price. I got so much going on that it will have to be fitted into the budget with a creative idea or two. I feel better when I work out and my golf game has improved drastically all year as I have gotten stronger with more flexibility. More flexibility at my age is sooooooo important. I am excited to see what the next year brings and I have a couple of goals I am working on and the gym is definitely a part of the equation.

OK it's November an it's coming close to my renewal time at the gym. It is hard to believe I have been going for one year as so many people join after their New Year's resolution, go for a few months, and then grow tired of it. I am going to sign up for another year although I may break my payments down quarterly instead of the full year price. I got so much going on that it will have to be fitted into the budget with a creative idea or two. I feel better when I work out and my golf game has improved drastically all year as I have gotten stronger with more flexibility. More flexibility at my age is sooooooo important. I am excited to see what the next year brings and I have a couple of goals I am working on and the gym is definitely a part of the equation.

What are your goals? Let's hear em so we can help you stick to them.

I'm going to train and run for another half marathon next spring. I need some sort of commitment to keep myself from going crazy while traveling for work.

What are your goals? Let's hear em so we can help you stick to them.

I'm going to train and run for another half marathon next spring. I need some sort of commitment to keep myself from going crazy while traveling for work.

Goal #1 is to maintain my weight at or below 200 lbs for an entire year. This one is going to be tough and will take constant focus on certain amounts of foods or beverages to make it work.

Goal #2 is simply to drink water more than any other beverage. I believe upping ones water intake has very good benefits for the body and most of us drink it only when necessary. Too many cokes because of the sweet taste is easy to fall for.

Your training for the long runs will be awesome for your health. I use to love to run but my knees eventually gave out on me. I never ran in the long distance runs but ran in the smaller races and totally enjoyed them. Many years of basketball and jogging finally slowed me down and the Doc told me low impact only. I use the elliptical machine at the gym and LOVE it!

Saw this thread for the first time this evening. Nice goals and achievements by quite a few. Since starting back up with golf this July I'm down 13 with 40 more to go. I walk a lot and no snacking after dinner seem to be working for me. With a bad back that acts up at the strangest times it works out best to just walk.

Back