Expensive putters are better. If they weren't, they wouldn't cost so much.

Kevin

Just curious, has anyone gone through a fitting for a putter and can elaborate what was customized for them on the club? And did you find the fitting useful?

Went through a putter fitting last year. I think it helped out. They fitted length, lie, loft. etc. It wasn't an in-depth fitting on a video machine or anything, just a fitting at the local Golf Galaxy. I tried out probably 20-30 putters over a couple days and when I settled on 3, they watched me putt with them, then I picked one and they setup the length, etc.

Went through a putter fitting last year. I think it helped out. They fitted length, lie, loft. etc. It wasn't an in-depth fitting on a video machine or anything, just a fitting at the local Golf Galaxy. I tried out probably 20-30 putters over a couple days and when I settled on 3, they watched me putt with them, then I picked one and they setup the length, etc.

I would like to get a putter fitting but Im not sure I know anyone in this town that I would trust to do it. We do not have any places here to check out any of the gamblers, or Seemore's etc. I am gaming a Backstrike Marksman and it seems OK most of the time but I would like to check out some of the putters I have seen on the site. i would spend $300 if it took off a few strokes per round. Heck I payed almost $200 for the off the shelf one I have and its nothing special.

I have been fit for my driver and Irons, Now its time for the putter.

Just curious, has anyone gone through a fitting for a putter and can elaborate what was customized for them on the club? And did you find the fitting useful?

You need to fit to your putter just like all other clubs. Loft, lie, length, weight, grip, grip thickness etc. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that you have to buy a high dollar custom putter to have one fit to you. Any putter can be adjusted and tweeked.

For me it all comes down to feel. An earlier post referred to the differences in stainless steel, carbon steel, plus you have various milling patters, toe hang, grips, etc. I putt as a hobby outside of golf. I just love putting as recreation for some reason. As such as I've developed a pretty acute feel for differences in putters. So I enjoy the "sweetness" in feel of the premium putters I have tried out.

Before anyone reads my sig line and points out the obvious; my Betti BC6 with the FIT face is the best feeling I've used yet. But I'm gaming the bargain Odyssey because that style of faced balanced putter suits me better since changing my stroke a little over the last 2 months.

Now I just have to save the $ to get the Betti SS7 I have my eye on and pray it has the same or similar feel to the BC6 I like so well. I intend to make the trip to get fitted at a Bettinardi studio and to relish the experience.

Love my $300 putter!

014.jpg

:eek:k:

Kevin

Man, I love reading your posts. This one seriously made me laugh. You have talent my friend.

For me it all comes down to feel. An earlier post referred to the differences in stainless steel, carbon steel, plus you have various milling patters, toe hang, grips, etc. I putt as a hobby outside of golf. I just love putting as recreation for some reason. As such as I've developed a pretty acute feel for differences in putters. So I enjoy the "sweetness" in feel of the premium putters I have tried out.

Before anyone reads my sig line and points out the obvious; my Betti BC6 with the FIT face is the best feeling I've used yet. But I'm gaming the bargain Odyssey because that style of faced balanced putter suits me better since changing my stroke a little over the last 2 months.

Now I just have to save the $ to get the Betti SS7 I have my eye on and pray it has the same or similar feel to the BC6 I like so well. I intend to make the trip to get fitted at a Bettinardi studio and to relish the experience.

This sounds like me. I love all my putters and have several very nice one's that I rarely use. Instead I'm still with my old Slotline. However, the new Milled Nead putter I got over winter just hasn't had much chance to hit the greens yet.

It's chance will come.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

This sounds like me. I love all my putters and have several very nice one's that I rarely use. Instead I'm still with my old Slotline. However, the new Milled Nead putter I got over winter just hasn't had much chance to hit the greens yet.

It's chance will come.

Duey, you KNOW I'm pulling fo the Nead. That gem just needs to be showed off to the world!!

Kevin

No sense in me saying something to make anyone mad. Just enjoy what ya got!

No sense in me saying something to make anyone mad. Just enjoy what ya got!

Griff, you're newer but you'll figure out ole Kevin is the king of sarcasm. Maybe not funny to some but cracks me the heck up.

===== QUOTE thedue ====

It's chance will come.

Posted from my BlackBerry using http://www.BerryBlab.com

===== /QUOTE ====

Duey, you KNOW I'm pulling fo the Nead. That gem just needs to be showed off to the world!!

Haha, the big debut was going to be today in KC on Wolf Creek course, but the BIL got called in to work. Looks like we'll have to put it off a week or so.

Kevin

I knew I was missing something by limiting my putter purchases to $295 or less. Maybe some day I'll buy one of those expensive flatsticks so I can join the tour.

I knew I was missing something by limiting my putter purchases to $295 or less. Maybe some day I'll buy one of those expensive flatsticks so I can join the tour.

REAL golfers spend that extra 5.00 Dirt, you know that.

I have never believed in $300 putters unless they worked 10 times better than the $50-$100 putter, and lately I have reinforced that idea myself. Last week during my vacation in Myrtle Beach, I stopped by the PGA Tour Superstore and found a used LH Cleveland "Designed By" putter for $24.I have never felt a putter so smooth, and have never felt more confident. The day after I bought it I made (no word of a lie) at least a 40-footer for birdie. So happy!

I strongly disagree with this statement. If the putter saves you even 1 or 2 strokes a round, wouldn't you be crazy not to put it in your bag regardless of its price tag? Most people would not even hesitate to put a new $300 driver in the bag for an extra 10-15 yards, which may not equate to a lower score. Why doesn't the same logic apply to a club where better performance almost always equates to lower scores?

Last edited:
Griff, you're newer but you'll figure out ole Kevin is the king of sarcasm. Maybe not funny to some but cracks me the heck up.

Glad I took the high road!

I just got a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style as an early birthday gift, i love its weight, and how it looks at address. its a great putter all around.

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought the Taylormade Rossa TP Series Putter (Imola) for about $250. At the time, I tried pretty much every putter out, and that one felt best to me. It gave me a pure roll, and I consistently hit my putts on line, which is what you're looking for. The funny thing is, that after I bought my putter, I noticed a lot of tour pros beginning to use the Rossa TP Series putter; Hale Irwin and Mike Weir to name a few...Reflecting back on this purchase, I wouldn't do it again. After a couple of years of use, the grip and face wore down considerably. Fortunately I was able to send it back to Taylormade and they gave me a new putter head (Apparently other people have had problems with the face wearing out on the earlier models of the Rossa putters). Other than that little problem, the putter has worked very well for me. But I believe that I could have found cheaper alternatives. For instance, nowadays, I really like the feel of the Yes putters (around $100) and the Adams A7 putter ($60)...Buying a $300 putter versus a $100 putter isn't going to shave any strokes off your game, but it will impress your buddies if that's what you're looking for haha

Interesting conversation with a coworker today. He knows that I am a staffer here, though he isn't a member. He's a pretty avid golfer with limited knowledge about equipment. Really nice guy and, from the way it sounds, a pretty good golfer. Anyway, he asked me if I'd ever tested any Scotty's. I said that I hadn't for THP, but that I'd rolled a few. He said that he had an older PING putter that he wanted to replace, but didn't know where to start. All of his golfing buddies told him to go with a Scotty because, yeah you guessed it, "they are the best".

I talked to him about some other brands of boutique putters to try out and then asked him if he really wanted to spend $300 on a putter. He said not really. I told him that you don't have to spend money to get a good putter for your game. Also told him how much I loved some of the more expensive putters out there as well as how much I loved my $50 Cleveland Classic. I think he was skeptical to believe that you could get a putter for less than $150 that was 'good'. It was very interesting to actually hear what his thoughts were.

Interesting conversation with a coworker today. He knows that I am a staffer here, though he isn't a member. He's a pretty avid golfer with limited knowledge about equipment. Really nice guy and, from the way it sounds, a pretty good golfer. Anyway, he asked me if I'd ever tested any Scotty's. I said that I hadn't for THP, but that I'd rolled a few. He said that he had an older PING putter that he wanted to replace, but didn't know where to start. All of his golfing buddies told him to go with a Scotty because, yeah you guessed it, "they are the best".

I talked to him about some other brands of boutique putters to try out and then asked him if he really wanted to spend $300 on a putter. He said not really. I told him that you don't have to spend money to get a good putter for your game. Also told him how much I loved some of the more expensive putters out there as well as how much I loved my $50 Cleveland Classic. I think he was skeptical to believe that you could get a putter for less than $150 that was 'good'. It was very interesting to actually hear what his thoughts were.

Now that is marketing.

I agree though, a lot of great putters for <150. I almost wish I had bought a CC, actually. Awesome putters.

Personally, I doubt i'd buy a $300 putter any time soon even if it did feel the best just because I'm a poor student but I believe seeing as the putter is the club you'll hit the most times during a round more than likely it's important to have confidence in it. If you're most confident with a $300 putter then so be it, buy away.

Now that is marketing.

I agree though, a lot of great putters for <150. I almost wish I had bought a CC, actually. Awesome putters.

The thing is, I kept telling him that there are some GREAT putters out there for $300 and, for some, Scotty's would be included. I kept trying to make sure he understood that dollar amount doesn't equal good or bad.

Back