2024 Victory Cup Travel Thread

mikewohlwend

Team Walker 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Was told by @Raiderboost that it would be a good idea to start a post like this. So here we are.

This is for updates on traveling to the 2024 Victory Cup at Briggs Ranch Golf Club in San Antonio.

I plan to go down a day or 2 early and to possibly stay an extra day or 2. I will by flying from NE Ohio or Pittsburgh and more than likely renting a car while there.

@BriMac
@Tywithay
@jonnys009
@bsbmike5
@RVS1970
@ammac
@hackitup
Am I missing anyone?

Awesome - thanks for starting. I am likely coming in early but won’t be able to tack on days on the back end. I am thinking of a Monday arrival.

Coming from an NYC airport.

Was told by @Raiderboost that it would be a good idea to start a post like this. So here we are.

This is for updates on traveling to the 2024 Victory Cup at Briggs Ranch Golf Club in San Antonio.

I plan to go down a day or 2 early and to possibly stay an extra day or 2. I will by flying from NE Ohio or Pittsburgh and more than likely renting a car while there.

@BriMac
@Tywithay
@jonnys009
@bsbmike5
@RVS1970
@ammac
@hackitup
Am I missing anyone?
Only missing our hosts - hah! They are probably doing their own preparations in the days leading but can’t hurt to extend them the invite in case they can join.

Adding @JB @Vosh68 @texasranger2012 . It doesn’t look like John Freeman has a forum handle yet.

Awesome. Thanks for starting this. Will be coming in from CLT. I’ll try and nail down travel dates soon to see what works.

Only missing our hosts - hah! They are probably doing their own preparations in the days leading but can’t hurt to extend them the invite in case they can join.

Adding @JB @Vosh68 @texasranger2012 . It doesn’t look like John Freeman has a forum handle yet.
Yes we will be preparing but thanks for invite

I'll be driving from Wichita, but not directly. I have a brother in Ft. Worth and a brother in Lubbock. I'll probably visit one or both of them along the way, depending on their schedules. Then finish the drive to San Antonio the night before, or possibly the day of. I'll have a more precise route once I've worked things out with the brothers.

Let’s also keep an eye on the Morgan Cup travel thread when it comes out. Pretty cool they will be coming in to Briggs Ranch as we are leaving.

@BriMac
@Tywithay
@jonnys009
@bsbmike5
@RVS1970
@ammac
@hackitup
Am I missing anyone?
Great idea for this thread. I’ll be flying in from New Orleans. I was thinking about flying my wife out on the back end and stay the weekend. Not sure if we’re getting a THPer rate, but is there a contact to add nights to our stay? I’m also thinking about flying out this summer for a little reconnaissance before the Cup. 😉

@BriMac
@Tywithay
@jonnys009
@bsbmike5
@RVS1970
@ammac
@hackitup
Am I missing anyone?
Thanks for starting this! Have already been looking at flights myself! Coming from RI, but probably going to fly out of Boston to get there direct. Definitely don't have flexibility on the back end of the trip, but maybe on the front end.

I have a couple friends from my PGA days who are down in that area, so maybe we can get the hookup somewhere cool for golf in the days leading up.

Thanks for starting this! Have already been looking at flights myself! Coming from RI, but probably going to fly out of Boston to get there direct. Definitely don't have flexibility on the back end of the trip, but maybe on the front end.

I have a couple friends from my PGA days who are down in that area, so maybe we can get the hookup somewhere cool for golf in the days leading up.

I have debated trying to fly into San Antonio, Dallas or Houston just to compare prices and maybe have a direct flight. I am looking at 3 different airports to fly out of as well.

I know it makes more sense to rent a car than to Uber when I checked out the prices for it.

I have debated trying to fly into San Antonio, Dallas or Houston just to compare prices and maybe have a direct flight. I am looking at 3 different airports to fly out of as well.

I know it makes more sense to rent a car than to Uber when I checked out the prices for it.
I didn't even think of looking at those airports...not a bad idea!

I didn't even think of looking at those airports...not a bad idea!

Price wise for me didn't seem very different between them but I could get a straight flight to Houston or Dallas.

Travel from IAH (Houston) to Briggs Ranch - 3.5 hours 230 miles
Travel from DFW (Dallas) to Briggs Ranch - 4.75 hours 325 miles
Travel from SAT (San Antonio) to Briggs Ranch - 0.5 hours 26 miles

Awesome. Thanks for starting this. Will be coming in from CLT. I’ll try and nail down travel dates soon to see what works.

Looks like a few of my options have layovers in Charlotte.

Great idea for this thread. I’ll be flying in from New Orleans. I was thinking about flying my wife out on the back end and stay the weekend. Not sure if we’re getting a THPer rate, but is there a contact to add nights to our stay? I’m also thinking about flying out this summer for a little reconnaissance before the Cup. 😉
Don't quote me on this, but I don't believe that we're able to extend stays at Dormie properties. JB is the host and my understanding is that he must be onsite with you in order to have you stay. So if you're thinking of extending, you'll need to look elsewhere to do so.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't believe that we're able to extend stays at Dormie properties. JB is the host and my understanding is that he must be onsite with you in order to have you stay. So if you're thinking of extending, you'll need to look elsewhere to do so.

I feel like this is the case. Thought I remember reading somewhere that no one but the participants were allowed on site at a past event.

My wife and I will be flying in from Sacramento. Her brother lives less than 10 miles from Briggs Ranch so she'll stay with him. Haven't decided on travel days yet.

Might also try Austin. It’s closer than any of those.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a call into Dormie. I'll report back.

Would touch base with @JB on any further items there. They own that relationship.

With this being a private member facility, I would STRONGLY advise against trying to stay on property longer than the event, regardless of if it's "allowed" by the property or not. We only have this access because of JB and Morgan's membership. Doing anything on top of what they offer with these experiences, in my opinion, is not a good idea

Yes guys let me just explain.
Briggs Ranch is not a resort.
It’s a private (very private) golf club that has cottages for members.
You guys are our guests for the event. If you are not in the event, and this includes spouses, they will not be allowed on property.

I cannot urge you enough to follow along other live update threads to see what the Experiences are like. Our itinerary is packed wall to wall and planned down to the minute. From breakfast to bed time, we have things planned for participants.

Yep. Briggs called me back and said everything JB said above. Sorry if my call creates confusion, but I was not aware how exclusive this location is. Was looking to capitalize on the opportunity but I'll be more than content with my personal participation. Thanks for clarifying.

Yep. Briggs called me back and said everything JB said above. Sorry if my call creates confusion, but I was not aware how exclusive this location is. Was looking to capitalize on the opportunity but I'll be more than content with my personal participation. Thanks for clarifying.
There's several other good resorts around there if you are wanting to stay and play a few more rounds...TPC San Antonio, La Cantera, Hyatt Hill Country. All should be very nice and have a spa and other things for the wife to do if you are wanting to bring her for any of the time pre or post event. Or you could just find hotel around San Antonio or near the Riverwalk and play some of the public courses. There are several really good ones in San Antonio.

Just looked to see if the course was on my simulator. Unfortunately it’s not on it.

Back