2024 Titleist Vokey SM10 Review

Yesterday I had my first round back home after the Vokey Experience last weekend. I'm a 7 handicap right now that generally has a consistent game but would say my wedges (especially chipping) could be my biggest weakness. I'd say I'm 50/50 on what I would consider a good chip with my misses split between chunks and thin shots. My fitting got me 50.12F, 54.14F, and 58.08M's - I previously had Vokey's but had less bounce in my lower lofts and more in my 58 so it is a bit of a change. I hit 6 chips yesterday and all of them I would consider good. My usual playing partners were a little shocked - their first question was are the wedges that good?

To answer that I'd say it was a combination of things - the wedges are awesome and having correct bounces makes a big difference. However what I think also really helped was the tips the Titleist/Vokey guys gave us on how to use them properly. I've always tended to have too much shaft lean which negates the bounce and causes digging (or over correcting to cause thin shots) - I tried really hard to make sure I was using the bounce better on all my chips and they all came off the face great.

All I can say is I'm loving the wedges so far and I can't wait until my next round - hoping I can get a practice session in this week as well.

Yesterday I had my first round back home after the Vokey Experience last weekend. I'm a 7 handicap right now that generally has a consistent game but would say my wedges (especially chipping) could be my biggest weakness. I'd say I'm 50/50 on what I would consider a good chip with my misses split between chunks and thin shots. My fitting got me 50.12F, 54.14F, and 58.08M's - I previously had Vokey's but had less bounce in my lower lofts and more in my 58 so it is a bit of a change. I hit 6 chips yesterday and all of them I would consider good. My usual playing partners were a little shocked - their first question was are the wedges that good?

To answer that I'd say it was a combination of things - the wedges are awesome and having correct bounces makes a big difference. However what I think also really helped was the tips the Titleist/Vokey guys gave us on how to use them properly. I've always tended to have too much shaft lean which negates the bounce and causes digging (or over correcting to cause thin shots) - I tried really hard to make sure I was using the bounce better on all my chips and they all came off the face great.

All I can say is I'm loving the wedges so far and I can't wait until my next round - hoping I can get a practice session in this week as well.
Nothing like getting the new tools, but also learning from the masters about them!

From what I have seen so far, I would say that the nickel finish is less durable than some others. However, because it is lighter in color, wear is not as noticeable as it obviously would with a black or very dark finish.

I've included a couple of pictures below that are just from the rounds/range at Ballyhack.

For the larger audience, in a general sense, we were told by Aaron at the event that anytime the finish is different than the underlying metal color, that you will see the wear like this...even more so when sand is involved. Like @Tenputt 's comment, I was a bit surprised at how fast the marking/wear is happening, but I do also agree that it is less stark on Nickel finish than if would be on Dark.

Edited to include better pictures

IMG_6949.jpeg

IMG_6948.jpeg

IMG_6947.jpeg

Last edited:
I got some initial thoughts about the 50 degree into the thread on Saturday, but didn't get back for initial 54 and 58 thoughts.

I have been playing a 50 - 54 - 58 combo for some time. I have tried a 60 a couple of times, but didn't feel much benefit there (and usually struggles with it mightily), so in my fitting, I asked to go no higher loft than 58.

Prior to the event, I predominantly used the 54 as my highest lofted full swing club and did a vast majority of my greenside/bunker work with a 58. I would rarely use the 58 for anything more than a 3/4 swing. In my fitting, it was suggested that I should be using a higher bounce 54 and a lower bounce 58 (which I blindly followed at that time as we ran out of time for explanation). All told, we ended up ordering a 54.12 D grind and a 58.08 M grind, with the further suggestion from my fitter that I work more with the 54 than I have in the past around the greens or out of bunkers.

Coming to dinner conversation and wedge clinic at Ballyhack, there was a reiteration of this one high bounce / one low bounce combination in the SW and LW slots both from Aaron Dill as he works with tour players and from John Habegger as we discussed what we were fit into...and in general regardless of skill level, the idea is to give you more options to better handle whatever shot you find yourself with.

So, even during the wedge clinic, John had me working on opening up the 54 and using it for sand shots, as well as acknowledging that with the higher bounce, it was probably a club I should work more on using in the thicker Bermuda grass we get here in the South. So as we go through this testing and afterwards, one thing I wang to focus on is using the 54 more than I was as the benefits make sense.

On to the initial on course play, I hit several really good shots with the 54 across a variety of scenarios. Full swings from say 85 yards and uphill long pitches upwards of 50 yards (where the lie is increasing the effective loft) were handled nicely right out of the wrapper, and gave me great confidence anytime I needed to grab that loft. I was only in one bunker on Tuesday after the clinic, and while I did try the 54, it was a mess (although so was my thought process and attention at that moment). Overall, the 54 was incredible for me in early play, and way more versatile and reliable than my old one.

As far as the 58, keeping in mind the lower bounce M grind, I found it very useful in the tighter lies you find in short fairways at Ballyhack. While I did hit some proper shots with it, particularly in our Goat Track nine, I did not get the immediate confidence with this one closer to the greens. Nothing too concerning, but this is probably the club that was the most different in bounce than what I was used to, and I am SUPPOSED to be trying to use it less.

What I do look forward to is getting back out (even to the range) and trying different shots with particularly the 54 and 58 and gaining some further confidence with the two of them. If the rounds at Ballyhack were any indication thought, there is much more "Vokey Magic" to come though.

I got some initial thoughts about the 50 degree into the thread on Saturday, but didn't get back for initial 54 and 58 thoughts.

I have been playing a 50 - 54 - 58 combo for some time. I have tried a 60 a couple of times, but didn't feel much benefit there (and usually struggles with it mightily), so in my fitting, I asked to go no higher loft than 58.

Prior to the event, I predominantly used the 54 as my highest lofted full swing club and did a vast majority of my greenside/bunker work with a 58. I would rarely use the 58 for anything more than a 3/4 swing. In my fitting, it was suggested that I should be using a higher bounce 54 and a lower bounce 58 (which I blindly followed at that time as we ran out of time for explanation). All told, we ended up ordering a 54.12 D grind and a 58.08 M grind, with the further suggestion from my fitter that I work more with the 54 than I have in the past around the greens or out of bunkers.

Coming to dinner conversation and wedge clinic at Ballyhack, there was a reiteration of this one high bounce / one low bounce combination in the SW and LW slots both from Aaron Dill as he works with tour players and from John Habegger as we discussed what we were fit into...and in general regardless of skill level, the idea is to give you more options to better handle whatever shot you find yourself with.

So, even during the wedge clinic, John had me working on opening up the 54 and using it for sand shots, as well as acknowledging that with the higher bounce, it was probably a club I should work more on using in the thicker Bermuda grass we get here in the South. So as we go through this testing and afterwards, one thing I wang to focus on is using the 54 more than I was as the benefits make sense.

On to the initial on course play, I hit several really good shots with the 54 across a variety of scenarios. Full swings from say 85 yards and uphill long pitches upwards of 50 yards (where the lie is increasing the effective loft) were handled nicely right out of the wrapper, and gave me great confidence anytime I needed to grab that loft. I was only in one bunker on Tuesday after the clinic, and while I did try the 54, it was a mess (although so was my thought process and attention at that moment). Overall, the 54 was incredible for me in early play, and way more versatile and reliable than my old one.

As far as the 58, keeping in mind the lower bounce M grind, I found it very useful in the tighter lies you find in short fairways at Ballyhack. While I did hit some proper shots with it, particularly in our Goat Track nine, I did not get the immediate confidence with this one closer to the greens. Nothing too concerning, but this is probably the club that was the most different in bounce than what I was used to, and I am SUPPOSED to be trying to use it less.

What I do look forward to is getting back out (even to the range) and trying different shots with particularly the 54 and 58 and gaining some further confidence with the two of them. If the rounds at Ballyhack were any indication thought, there is much more "Vokey Magic" to come though.
Donne, these are some tremendous thoughts my guy!

As I continue my ongoing review of the Vokey wedges, I am going to try to give perspective in three main areas:

1. How they play compared to the wedges that I had been using and with which I had a high level of comfort;
2. in what ways the Vockeys improve my ability to score; and
3. durability, aesthetic appeal.

I am going to put up some comparative numbers in terms of ball speed, launch, distance, height and spin. I am also going to provide my actual experience out on the course.

If there is anything that somebody wants me to focus on, please let me know and I will provide as much feedback as I can.

All the feedback in here has been great so far!

My fitter put me into a similar 54/58 setup for a similar reason. I lean on the lower bounce 58 on some of the courses around here, but definitely take the same mentality as you do. 54 first, 58 when it's needed either for lie or loft on short sided shots. Also works great out of firmer bunkers for me. Looking forward to seeing how you progress with these.

I'm about 36 holes into these wedges now after the Vokey Experience with some different course conditions. So far these are what I'm seeing with the wedges....

50 F 12
This club has been my workhouse so far. It seems to be settling into a full shot club from 100-110y and a bump and run for around the greens. I am quite shocked at how it interacts with the turf to date. I always felt I was a sweeper of the club, not taking much if any of a divot but the turf interaction with this club has been anything but. I am taking a normal size divot and the ball flight is lower than my previous CB wedge and just bites on the green. So far no backing up of anything but the greens have been pretty firm around here in IL lately. In just 36 holes with the bump and run shot I've hit multiple pins. The more comfortable I get with that shot the better it has become.

54 S 10
I've been using the 54 for mid range shots and not trying to quite take full power swings with it yet but settling in at 90 yards and in. Again with the turf interaction like posted about. I'm taking normal sized divots and seeing that lower ball flight with stopping power as advertised. Soon I'm going to work on getting that open faced shot going so I'll have another shot in the arsenal for going up and over a bunker or the short sided pin placement.

58 F 14
This has probably been the least used club to date. I really struggle with greenside bunkers and sticky green side and against the grain chips. Other than a couple "too thick" shots I'm amazed how this K grind is allowing me to slide though the sand and thick rough next to the green. It still allows for that square faced set up and I can pop it out of the thick sticky rough with no problems. I need to work on distance control with this K grind as it's working properly but I'm struggling to find the right swings for the distances I need. I really tried to work on using this club on my round yesterday in different situations to see how it performed. My most surprising was that against the gran chip greenside. It didn't dig at all and took a small divot and popped right out. If you like that square face feel with some relief the K grind has really been helping. I'll be looking next to see how it does on some tighter lies and firmer conditions, maybe it won't rain this week at league so I can see.

Just a snap shot of my grinds
1715032714299.png1715032690995.png1715032662876.png

I'm about 36 holes into these wedges now after the Vokey Experience with some different course conditions. So far these are what I'm seeing with the wedges....

50 F 12
This club has been my workhouse so far. It seems to be settling into a full shot club from 100-110y and a bump and run for around the greens. I am quite shocked at how it interacts with the turf to date.
Finding the same - have been hitting it back to back against the ZX5mk2 AW and find my distance more consistent with the Vokey on full swings (and a tad longer which surprised me), and can flight it high or low. Also works well for nipping the grass for bumps, great club.

Finding the same - have been hitting it back to back against the ZX5mk2 AW and find my distance more consistent with the Vokey on full swings (and a tad longer which surprised me), and can flight it high or low. Also works well for nipping the grass for bumps, great club.
The consistent and longer distances honestly surprised me compared to my older CB type wedges. Just goes to show Vokey is designing them to reduce the twisting of the club with the weighting and the lower flight is helping keep the distance consistent.

The consistent and longer distances honestly surprised me compared to my older CB type wedges. Just goes to show Vokey is designing them to reduce the twisting of the club with the weighting and the lower flight is helping keep the distance consistent.
In my case another factor is likely the shaft. The ZX5 is Dart 65, the Vokey is Tensei Blue AM2 which is probably closer to 85g. I think the extra weight helps me time it better. Or I’m just getting lucky - as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again…

Unfortunately, snow has returned to our area. We had four inches on the ground on Sunday and it snowed some more yesterday. It obviously won’t last long, but I am stymied for a few days.

We've got storms rolling through and some end of the school year activities the next couple days, but as it relates to Vokeys, there had been a question posed by the forum during the event that I thought the reply would add value in this thread as well.

This question was around if Vokey would consider Full Face wedges and since I rode with Aaron Luttrell (Product Manager for Vokey) all day, I did ask him about that.

He said they had no intention because they like to use center grooves for the visual for lining up your shot and additionally, for most golfers, of they hit out on the toe, they are already hitting the ball shorter than they meant to, so adding spin out there would only cause the overall shot to be even shorter.

I also asked about cavity back wedges, and he implied Vokey would probably not play in that area either because their efforts to move center of gravity would be hampered by not having that space to design around.

We've got storms rolling through and some end of the school year activities the next couple days, but as it relates to Vokeys, there had been a question posed by the forum during the event that I thought the reply would add value in this thread as well.

This question was around if Vokey would consider Full Face wedges and since I rode with Aaron Luttrell (Product Manager for Vokey) all day, I did ask him about that.

He said they had no intention because they like to use center grooves for the visual for lining up your shot and additionally, for most golfers, of they hit out on the toe, they are already hitting the ball shorter than they meant to, so adding spin out there would only cause the overall shot to be even shorter.

I also asked about cavity back wedges, and he implied Vokey would probably not play in that area either because their efforts to move center of gravity would be hampered by not having that space to design around.
This is good information. When you mentioned this at our Vokey experience, I was a bit surprised regarding the response on the full face grooves. A lot of times, the strike out on the toe happens during a flop shot or another shot around the greens, where the issue is not so much attempting to retain distance as it is keeping a ball on a green. On both explanations, though, I found it interesting how differently competing OEMs look at ways to create equipment that performs well.

@MarMill has guilted a strong ponder as I consider replacing the current SW.

The grind ponder always gets me.

54* in D, S, or M

I use my 54 for just about everything around the green which argues for D or M.

I still full swing it at times which argues for S.

I typically struggle with lower bounce wedges despite my typical environment seeming to argue for them.

:unsure:

This is good to hear. I prefer it when a builder (of most anything) doubles down on what they do best and doesn't try to expand into related products.

@MarMill has guilted a strong ponder as I consider replacing the current SW.

The grind ponder always gets me.

54* in D, S, or M

I use my 54 for just about everything around the green which argues for D or M.

I still full swing it at times which argues for S.

I typically struggle with lower bounce wedges despite my typical environment seeming to argue for them.

:unsure:
M grind!

I had a great day on the course today and some fun with my new Vokey's. I played 36 - first 18 were a normal round, the next 8 were by myself and I got to hit 10+ extra chips on every hole, last 10 I joined up with another 2 some so no extra shots but I felt even more comfortable with them after the extra practice. A few thoughts that really hit me:

- on 3/4 to full shots I really felt a sweet spot on a few shots. Can't say this is something I've noticed before with wedges. Off sweet spot shots might have gone a few yards shorter than expected but not much difference. I know the CG has moved a little over the years so maybe this is due to current placement
- chipping was fun trying different types of shots I normally would have been afraid of - the creativity you can have with different bounce options is real
- a bad swing still can result in bad shots even with great wedges
- however a mediocre swing with better technique results in better shots

The thing I worked on the most were tight lie chips. My home course is Kikuyu - if you haven't played it before it's very grabby especially when it's mown tight and you have to pick it very clean. In the past I haven't used the bounce very efficiently leading to either really good or really bad shots and almost nothing in between. With the tips I got at the Vokey Experience I'm really trying to use the bounce correctly (very little forward press with a slight open face to engage the bounce) and I noticed my misses were way better, especially shots hit just slightly fat that previously would have been a complete chunk that instead skipped through the grass a little bit to get on the green and generally have a makeable putt.

The journey will continue but this is really making me want to practice short game more - I guessing this is something that most of us could do more of.

I had a great day on the course today and some fun with my new Vokey's. I played 36 - first 18 were a normal round, the next 8 were by myself and I got to hit 10+ extra chips on every hole, last 10 I joined up with another 2 some so no extra shots but I felt even more comfortable with them after the extra practice. A few thoughts that really hit me:

- on 3/4 to full shots I really felt a sweet spot on a few shots. Can't say this is something I've noticed before with wedges. Off sweet spot shots might have gone a few yards shorter than expected but not much difference. I know the CG has moved a little over the years so maybe this is due to current placement
- chipping was fun trying different types of shots I normally would have been afraid of - the creativity you can have with different bounce options is real
- a bad swing still can result in bad shots even with great wedges
- however a mediocre swing with better technique results in better shots

The thing I worked on the most were tight lie chips. My home course is Kikuyu - if you haven't played it before it's very grabby especially when it's mown tight and you have to pick it very clean. In the past I haven't used the bounce very efficiently leading to either really good or really bad shots and almost nothing in between. With the tips I got at the Vokey Experience I'm really trying to use the bounce correctly (very little forward press with a slight open face to engage the bounce) and I noticed my misses were way better, especially shots hit just slightly fat that previously would have been a complete chunk that instead skipped through the grass a little bit to get on the green and generally have a makeable putt.

The journey will continue but this is really making me want to practice short game more - I guessing this is something that most of us could do more of.
Can't agree more on the creativity - just try things.

I had league last night and, while there wasn't a need for much creativity, one shot stands out. I had about a 70 yard shot to the pin. Took a choked down swing with the new 60, hit it well, but just a smidge thin. My partner saw the shot and yelled "sit down" thinking there was no way it was going to. Well it did sit down. Even on a well struck ball, the ball flight is significantly lower than my previous Vokeys (4 generations old). This has taken some getting used to. I have a lower ball flight anyway, so I always liked seeing those high arcing shots with my previous wedges. Vokey has worked to reduce trajectory and has still managed to get a soft landing - fresh grooves certainly helped here too obviously.

On shots around the green, I find myself thinking through my shots more - and that's probably half the battle right there. No more just grab the 54 for a bump and run. I'm still working on what does and doesn't work for me with the new bounce/grind options , but knowing I have more options I'm gaining some confidence around the greens.

Can't agree more on the creativity - just try things.

I had league last night and, while there wasn't a need for much creativity, one shot stands out. I had about a 70 yard shot to the pin. Took a choked down swing with the new 60, hit it well, but just a smidge thin. My partner saw the shot and yelled "sit down" thinking there was no way it was going to. Well it did sit down. Even on a well struck ball, the ball flight is significantly lower than my previous Vokeys (4 generations old). This has taken some getting used to. I have a lower ball flight anyway, so I always liked seeing those high arcing shots with my previous wedges. Vokey has worked to reduce trajectory and has still managed to get a soft landing - fresh grooves certainly helped here too obviously.

On shots around the green, I find myself thinking through my shots more - and that's probably half the battle right there. No more just grab the 54 for a bump and run. I'm still working on what does and doesn't work for me with the new bounce/grind options , but knowing I have more options I'm gaining some confidence around the greens.
The height of shots definitely takes some getting used to, but I love seeing the lower flight and stopping power of these wedges! I'm itching to get back out and get some more play with them but league has been cancelled recently due to the rain we've been getting. I'm really curious to see how the do with some tighter lies.

It has been a work travel nightmare since returning from Titleist Experience at Ballyhack and the weather here in Kentucky has been rain forest type monsoons. All that being said, I was finally able to get out with the new Vokey's two times.

Both rounds have been on extremely wet turf, I was actually forcing being out on the course just to get these bad boys in play. Let me say that wet turf has always been tricky for me, I think more mental than anything. In both outings I was having trouble from the fairway with the wedges from 115-90 yards in attempting full to nearly full swings. It took me choking down on the wedges and going 1/2 swings while clubbing up to start to see some positive shots. I may not have been accounting for sinking down due to saturation, and thus hitting everything heavy. Had the enjoyment of hitting the first one so heavy I got mud on my face and under my hat bill. How about those skills? :)

Now for the positive, as a result of all of the rain the mowers have been unable to run the equipment. The rough around the greens was as long and thick as I have ever seen it. The 54 F grind and the 58 F grounds were getting through the turf effortlessly. Using some techniques learned at the Vokey Experience from the Titleist guys and trusting the bounce on the new clubs my short game was very solid. Some of my playing partners had some shots hitting the greens and skipping, for the most part the new Vokeys had bite! Got up and down from a few spots that even surprised myself.

Really handcuffed by the weather, but things are looking up over the next 10 days. Expect more updates from me, I plan on playing a bunch!

Played my first round (well, 9 holes) in almost 3 years yesterday. I had no idea how things were going to go as I've been rebuilding the swing at the range the last couple months and doing a fair amount of pitching/chipping. First hole I hit a perfect drive, then a near perfect 9i to about 8', 2-putted for par. Hey, this game is easy.....HA!

It was up and down for the next 8 holes, basically ended up playing bogey golf. I hit three perfect drives, and four not-so-perfect but no balls were lost. Pertinent to this thread, not a lot of wedge work but enough. The T150 PW gave me a 10' look at par (drive wanted some shade from the trees), one thin with the 50 but the 60 bailed it out next shot. On the last hole I had to pop over a green side bunker and took the 60 and hit an almost perfect shot - but it was about 1" too low (a little too cute with it), hit the lip and rolled into the bunker. Undeterred I kept the 60 in my hand (short-sided to the pin) and hit about as good an out as I can, left it about 6' past the pin.

All in all encouraging - I really just need to clean up my swing consistency and keep my tempo down (particularly with wedge and putter). But the elbows still function and now I'm off to pitch and chip because...Vokey.

I was hoping to get a round in this weekend, but family obligations around Mother’s Day are going to put the kibosh on my golf plans. I did get some time in on TrackMan. For this session, I compared what had been my gamer 58* and the new SM10 58* M grind and my gamer 48* and the new SM10 48*. This post will focus on the 58* wedges. I will put one up later comparing the 48* wedges.

First the dispersion from a table view. The old wedge is identified as 58* and the SM10 is identified as 54*, but they are both 58*.

IMG_6732.pngIMG_6733.png

The dispersions are virtually identical, with one miss short on the new SM10 that affected the grouping. Other number comparisons:

Average spin: Old wedge - 9558 (95 variance); SM10 9490 (530 variance)

Carry: Old wedge - 90.7 yards; SM10 - 93.1 yards

Height: Old wedge - 76’10”; SM10 - 76’5”

Descent angle: Old wedge - 53.7*; SM10 - 53*

My takeaway with the old and the new SM10 58* wedges is that given the small sample size, the two wedges perform almost identically on full swings. My impression is that the SM10 may give me a few more yards carry, which is good, because I would like my full swing carry with my 58* wedge to be closer to 95 yards. However, what ultimately will make one of these wedges better than the other is the shotmaking around the greens. Right now, I am giving the edge to the M grind with my Vokey.

There is one thing that I am wanting to keep my eye on with the new SM10s. While out at Ballyhack for the Vokey experience, there were a couple of times where I made a full swing and the strike felt solid, but the carry distance was about 5 to 8 yards shorter than expected. I saw that again on TrackMan yesterday, while making random swings. One of those shots can also bee seen in the table view above (the blue grouping). This is going to merit further observation, because we all hate that feeling of making a good swing into a tucked pin behind a bunker, thinking we pulled off the shot and then we watch the ball fly short and land in the bunker.

My next comparison, which likely will be tonight, will be the 48* wedges. Teaser: The Vokey was the clear winner there.

Last edited:
Back