2023 Cobra KING TOUR, MB and CB Irons

I am spending way too much time on this website dreaming of possibilities....LETS GO HACKERS !

Welp, couldn’t help myself. Tour 5-6 (1* weak) and CB 7-PW ordered. So much for my plan of playing the ZX line this year.

Welp, couldn’t help myself. Tour 5-6 (1* weak) and CB 7-PW ordered. So much for my plan of playing the ZX line this year.
Did you make the order by phone?

Yes yes it is. Its always been the type of iron I've craved, after hitting them though I kind of missed the forgiveness and distance of the forged tec x :ROFLMAO:
Once you shake the rust off you will be fine!

Did you make the order by phone?

😆 Nearly, but I fell asleep last night while building/customizing the order so figured it was safest to do first thing in the office.

I know the forged tec is not part of this release but it would be fun to blend all 4 of these sets.

1673980507902.png

I ran over to our local golf store during lunch and was able to hit the CB, a 7 iron. The shaft selection was not the best, but I hit it with a KBS PGI 85 S shaft. I am not sure of the profile of that shaft in terms of launch and spin.

Anyway, it was freaking awesome. I compared it to another player distance release and obviously, it wasn’t going as far, but the dispersion was so much better, both front to back and side to side. The feel is as good as anything I remember for a long time. This iron truly did not seem all that difficult to hit. It was much easier to hit than the former black CB.

Here are the numbers (more or less that I was seeing:

Launch: 19.5*
ball speed: 111 to 113
spin: mid 5000
descent: 45.9*

I won’t put the distance, because the monitors are set for elevation and they throw everybody here on the forum off.

I was surprised that the spin was not higher. However, I hit another iron or two and everything was lower spin than what I would expect for my swing. I literally had not hit a golf ball since the week after Labor Day, so my swing is very rusty. For reference, I was using a ChromeSoft, which was the only tour level ball that they had in the hitting bay.

The other surprise was that I was generating 113 ball speed with such a rusty swing. I generally see around 115 with a hollow body player distance profile, so given the higher loft and profile, it was a pleasant surprise. With a swing that is more grooved, I would be able to generate the ball speed I need/want to play this head.

0EF39A85-1AB6-4956-8135-DCF479C7FC9D.jpeg3EBF3CD2-C700-4C00-894F-5CE0F3254EB0.jpegC1DCFE47-2B14-4FA5-A004-9DBAD4826E89.jpeg

Last edited:
I did it. I placed an order, but only because I am not buying a new house (that’s for you, James, @Jman, my good buddy.). Here is the setup:

King Tour 5 and 6, standard loft, lie and length
King CB 7 - pw, one degree strong, standard lie and length
King MB gw, one degree strong, standard lie and length

KBS PGI 85 stiff graphite shafts
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align grips (Arccos Connect), standard wraps

I had almost decided to just stick with what I have for this year, but when I hit the 7 iron with this shaft today at lunch and saw the dispersion, felt good about the other metrics and fell in love with the look and feel, I couldn’t resist.

Disappointing news... I received an email from Cobra, letting me know that they had recently changed their website platform and that there were some glitches, including that it was allowing customers to select parallel shafts for irons that are taper. Cobra only has parallel PGI shafts and the King irons are all taper, so they won’t install the PGI shafts I selected. It’s ironic, because I am not a huge KBS fan (just due to fit), but this combo was literally one of the best for me that I have ever tried, right out of the gate.

They did offer me either MMT or Recoil shafts at no additional charge. I think that I am going to go with the Recoil 95s. Very exemplary customer service to address the issue and these things happen.

Disappointing news... I received an email from Cobra, letting me know that they had recently changed their website platform and that there were some glitches, including that it was allowing customers to select parallel shafts for irons that are taper. Cobra only has parallel PGI shafts and the King irons are all taper, so they won’t install the PGI shafts I selected. It’s ironic, because I am not a huge KBS fan (just due to fit), but this combo was literally one of the best for me that I have ever tried, right out of the gate.

They did offer me either MMT or Recoil shafts at no additional charge. I think that I am going to go with the Recoil 95s. Very exemplary customer service to address the issue and these things happen.
Bummer!!

Wowww. That's brutal.

Hoping you still love them with the shaft change. Those numbers were very encouraging!!

I hate all of you!!! I was so committed to no new equipment this year and now I can’t stop thinking about the CBs. I doubt that they are even a good fit for me, but it doesn’t stop the craving.
I took a few swings with each of the 3 (MB, CB, and Tour). I don't have the game for the MB and could possibly justify the CBs in the short irons but the Tour felt very good and was more forgiving.

I did it. I placed an order, but only because I am not buying a new house (that’s for you, James, @Jman, my good buddy.). Here is the setup:

King Tour 5 and 6, standard loft, lie and length
King CB 7 - pw, one degree strong, standard lie and length
King MB gw, one degree strong, standard lie and length

KBS PGI 85 stiff graphite shafts
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align grips (Arccos Connect), standard wraps

I had almost decided to just stick with what I have for this year, but when I hit the 7 iron with this shaft today at lunch and saw the dispersion, felt good about the other metrics and fell in love with the look and feel, I couldn’t resist.
Congrats on the purchase. What were you playing before?

Congrats on the purchase. What were you playing before?
Mostly Rogue ST Pros, but I also own a set of Forged Tec X and Titleist T100S. The new irons will go against the Titleist and the loser will go up for sale. I intend to play primarily a player cavity this year, but will keep the other sets, as they are both awesome and are completely different profiles.

Mostly Rogue ST Pros, but I also own a set of Forged Tec X and Titleist T100S. The new irons will go against the Titleist and the loser will go up for sale. I intend to play primarily a player cavity this year, but will keep the other sets, as they are both awesome and are completely different profiles.
Let me know if the T100s lose haha!

I ran over to our local golf store during lunch and was able to hit the CB, a 7 iron. The shaft selection was not the best, but I hit it with a KBS PGI 85 S shaft. I am not sure of the profile of that shaft in terms of launch and spin.

Anyway, it was freaking awesome. I compared it to another player distance release and obviously, it wasn’t going as far, but the dispersion was so much better, both front to back and side to side. The feel is as good as anything I remember for a long time. This iron truly did not seem all that difficult to hit. It was much easier to hit than the former black CB.

Here are the numbers (more or less that I was seeing:

Launch: 19.5*
ball speed: 111 to 113
spin: mid 5000
descent: 45.9*

I won’t put the distance, because the monitors are set for elevation and they throw everybody here on the forum off.

I was surprised that the spin was not higher. However, I hit another iron or two and everything was lower spin than what I would expect for my swing. I literally had not hit a golf ball since the week after Labor Day, so my swing is very rusty. For reference, I was using a ChromeSoft, which was the only tour level ball that they had in the hitting bay.

The other surprise was that I was generating 113 ball speed with such a rusty swing. I generally see around 115 with a hollow body player distance profile, so given the higher loft and profile, it was a pleasant surprise. With a swing that is more grooved, I would be able to generate the ball speed I need/want to play this head.

View attachment 9151226View attachment 9151227View attachment 9151228

Those CB's are so gorgeous. They look like everything a person could ask for in a CB. Congrats!

Doing some comparisons between the Tours and Mizuno 223 and 225s. Will have some feedback in a bit

Me either they sure are fun.

With regards to these though I will say even with my crappy winter swing they were pretty consistent and none of the big left misses I experienced with FTx.

View attachment 9151024
You peppered the green!

A final update until I receive the irons… After consulting with the Cobra rep, I decided to go with the MMT 85s. He felt that those would perform most closely to the KBS PGIs. Although for obvious reasons I am less confident of the fit than I am with a shaft that seemed to be a perfect match, I remain hopeful and optimistic. I will update further when the irons arrive.

Great article James! These look superb.

Tour is Very very similar to Mizuno 223 in size. Tour is on the right

8F69E21F-CA12-48D4-B9BC-37F3637F8F9C.jpeg

Oh wow those do look similar. How does the feel compare between the two?

Also similar. Both feel great. Will dive into the numbers when I get home in a bit.

Back