2012 THP & SCOR Project - Follow-up and Progress

ddxu

Reaction score
Handicap
During the 2012 THP Outing and Demo Day, THP partnered with SCOR Golf and held the SCOR Project Challenge. The goal of the SCOR Project Challenge was to bring attention to the importance of one's short game and how much lower one's final score would be with the short game of a scratch golfer. I was the lucky random Outing attendee to participate in the SCOR Project and partnered with Shawn from SCOR for the round. He was awesome to play with and couldn't have been nicer to me and the other 2 THP members we played with (Chewie and BigLee33). That day, my final score would have been 11 shots lower with Shawn's short game.

SCOR Golf was kind enough to give me a set of wedges even though our combined score (77) didn't beat JB's gross score (73). This thread will be the place where I will keep you guys updated on my progress both with these wedges and also with my dedication towards practicing the short game.

Click here for more information on the THP & SCOR Project

Click here for more information on the THP Forum Testing of SCOR Wedges

My Specs:
SCOR 4161 Matched Set of Four
45*, 50*, 55*, 60*
Genius 12 KBS Tour Steel Shafts
1* upright
Std length & grip

55* at address
IMAG0061_zpsd9c71c69.jpg

Soles
IMAG0057-1_zps8a23ea96.jpg

Back of the Wedges
IMAG0056-2_zpsf207357f.jpg

Hosel
IMAG0058_zpsf336a445.jpg

Grips & Shaft Bands
IMAG0055_zps85f03656.jpg

Welcome letter from SCOR, ball mark tool, and yardage bag tag
IMAG0063-1_zpsc702e603.jpg

Unboxing Video

Last edited:
Before I really get started, I wanted to establish a starting place of where I am with my game & my practice habits. I have a 14.5 GHIN index and have always thought my long game was costing me way too many shots. Previously, I gamed the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 PW, AW, SW and a Vokey Spin Milled 60* Lob Wedge. I used my lob wedge for everything around the green that couldn't be putted. I would occasionally use one of the Burner 2 wedges for long green-side bunker shots.

Normally, if I am lucky if I can practice once a week, but usually at least once every 2 weeks. During my practice sessions, I warm up by hitting a few 20 yard pitches or so on the practice green. Then I proceed to pound 50 balls or so on the range, hitting full shots with a variety of everything in my bag. I would rarely, if ever, hit half wedges, long pitches, etc on the range. Only if my buddies challenge me would I hit pitches towards the nets or small flags intended for short game work.

I would only practice my putting during the week if I was working on a putter change or if my buddies wanted to have some small wagers. Prior to a round, I will usually hit about 15 putts and maybe 5 chips before hitting the first tee.

That's where we stand today. My buddies and I intentionally blocked off our work calendars every Wednesday afternoon after 5 so hopefully we will be able to get out of work and have dedicated time to practice once a week. Plenty more to come...

Last edited:
This is going to be fun to follow. Great start and nice pix!

11 shots difference with Shawn's help is definitely pretty eye opening. Now that you've seen Shawn in action and have new wedges hopefully that will rub off on you and you can do the same thing yourself. I look forward to following along with you buddy.

Dayum! Those look incredible. Congrats on that opportunity again ddxu!

Those look great. I can't wait to hear about your progress with the work on your short game. I hope it pays off!

That's awesome dude! They look quite nice!

Congrats Dan those look like theyre ready to eat some GIR's for you.

Nice. I am working my way to that exact set. I think they are going to be a game changer DDXU.

I agree P4B, 11 shots makes you situp and take notice

The wedges look great Dan! I am sure you are going to love them, and it was fun being part of the group with Shawn for this.

Fine lookin wedges! Look forwarx to your follow up review. I may be tempted to go with your setup.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Subscribed. I'm very interested in seeing your results!

Good luck, this will be a very interesting thread.

Those look amazing!! After ready about this when it happened I decided to focus on short game more.. My buddy was mad his drives were slightly off the fairway and I kept pounding it in that it didn't matter unless it was 100 yds or closer in !!

Those look badazz! Where will you be practicing at? Good luck and I'll be following along.

Those look badazz! Where will you be practicing at? Good luck and I'll be following along.

Most likely Iron Horse, Tiffany Greens, or Shoal Creek all depends on where in the city I am for work that week.

DD,
It was an honor to do the first ever SCOR Project with you. I am so glad you got your new sticks and are going to work on this. Hopefully we get to see you at one of the THP Tour Van stops and we can see how it is coming along.

DD looking forward to reading about your progress with these. I'm glad you were able to get 4 scor wedges. I'm sure playing with shawn showed you how big a difference a real strong short game is. 11 strokes is hard to ignore.

ddxu - happy to see this thread created and look forward to following your progress with these in the bag. I love those new grips they are using, look super sharp!

nice unboxing video Dan. looking forward to see how your make out with these! congrats again.

<whistles> wow those are sexy. Can't wait to hear more about your short game improvement.

Looking forward to following this one. 11 shots is a huge difference!

This is so cool. I certainly look forward to keeping up with this dd. The SCOR's are sooooo good!

Back