2012 Scotty Staff Bag

I hear you when it comes to that JB, I do! That fact that SC doesn't support things like the Demo weekend or the MC really does bother me. I don't see the downside in supporting something like that but should they be excluded from consideration when selecting equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That would be entirely up to the individual. Did you test out every single putter on the market before making your decision? The answer of course is no. Yet you still were able to buy one you liked and enjoy it. Why should anybody else have to do something different?

I hear you when it comes to that JB, I do! That fact that SC doesn't support things like the Demo weekend or the MC really does bother me. I don't see the downside in supporting something like that but should they be excluded from consideration when selecting equipment?

I dont see anywhere on this thread where someone said dont consider them? People are saying TEST putters before you buy them. Find the best putter for you, regardless of if its an SC, a Yes, a Betti, Nike, Seemore, etc.

If you think there arent tons and tons of people that buy Scottys simply because of the name, well then I believe you are misguided on this subject

Scameron fans are more sensitive than Apple users.

If somebody wants to buy a Scooter putter, then go for it. When asked why the Scooter, best response is "because I wanted it.".

Everybody rips off everybody.

Plus, being told somebody made a mistake for not buying a Scameron is just as ridiculous being told somebody made a mistake for buying one.

I know I am guilty of this.

I dont see anywhere on this thread where someone said dont consider them? People are saying TEST putters before you buy them. Find the best putter for you, regardless of if its an SC, a Yes, a Betti, Nike, Seemore, etc.

If you think there arent tons and tons of people that buy Scottys simply because of the name, well then I believe you are misguided on this subject

I'm not saying anyone said that directly. It's what I got from the comment made by JB a couple of posts ago. Not saying he implied that but when reading it that's what I took from it. JB, when I bought my first Cameron in 2000 it was %100 allure behind the name. Since then I have never gamed anything else because the Cameron works for me. It is always better to try before you buy but the point of my comment was that in the quoted comment from Thain, I got that he liked Betty's based on the support of THP.

TH it seems as though the farther this thread goes the more people chime in with not liking Cameron's for some other reason than the putter doesn't fit them or they've rolled one of the aforementioned flat sticks and like them better.

We're on the same page dude. I agree on the outlandish remark and that's why I think Scotty IS a marketing genius, if someone is willing to pay it then OF COURSE as a business man you are going to charge it, ya know? Its all in the eye of the beholder in the end.

For me its the pushers as to why I've never owned a Scotty. I could have EASILY rolled a Laguna2, but, its the turn off of all the cultists that drove me away. Hell, I really like the way the GoLo S feels/rolls, but it won't ever happen for the same exact reason as the Laguna.

In the end its buy what ya like and play what is best for your game. To hell with the rest, its just a shame so many aren't willing to do that.

I love this discussion, its a good back and forth up in here!

I hear ya on being put off by products because of their followers. And I hope people realize I'm not trying to push either way here. I'm also not trying to diss Bettinardi or Lajosi at all either, I think they both make great putters.

I think Scotty as a company has something great going on right now. Pretty much doesn't have to do any media advertising, and he's able to charge a premium for his products. As far as the whole rip-off arguments, I'm not really going to get into, other than to say that every OEM has some version of the Anser putter. As long as it's not illegal and there is no patent infringements, I personally don't see the big deal, but again I understand where others are coming from.

This has been a very good discussion. It's always fun to hear why people feel a certain way about something.

People hear the word support and think advertising has a role in this. Couldn't be further from the truth. Case in point.
Taylormade and thoughts on their clubs, yet they are an advertiser.
Callaway, Nike & Cobra and thoughts on their clubs, yet they are not an advertiser.

The anti-establishment view by some, is always amusing (not directed at anybody here), because facts can be found if one wants to search rather than throw accusations.

Again, not something directed at anybody here.

Exactly. When some companies choose not to participate in certain things when they cant manipulate the system to their advantage, ie reps at demo days, than they take their ball and go home.

I like titleist product and think most of its pretty good stuff. I own a Cameron or two. But I think their elitist and overcontrolling mindset is lame.

Exactly. When some companies choose not to participate in certain things when they cant manipulate the system to their advantage, ie reps at demo days, than they take their ball and go home.

I like titleist product and think most of its pretty good stuff. I own a Cameron or two. But I think their elitist and overcontrolling mindset is lame.

I agree Thain. They would be so much better if they opened up a little!

I'm not saying anyone said that directly. It's what I got from the comment made by JB a couple of posts ago. Not saying he implied that but when reading it that's what I took from it. JB, when I bought my first Cameron in 2000 it was 0 allure behind the name. Since then I have never gamed anything else because the Cameron works for me. It is always better to try before you buy but the point of my comment was that in the quoted comment from Thain, I got that he liked Betty's based on the support of THP.

TH it seems as though the farther this thread goes the more people chime in with not liking Cameron's for some other reason than the putter doesn't fit them or they've rolled one of the aforementioned flat sticks and like them better.

And that goes to preference. They can choose not to like something for whatever reason, just as you chose to like something strictly because of the "allure" as you put it. You bought something regardless of fitting or not, and others are just doing the same thing in reverse.

I should probably apologize here, because my intent was really not to start a fire. I just can't understand how a company can take something and put a logo on it and all of a sudden people pay a fortune it.

However that being said it's their money and should be allowed to spend it how they want, regardless of my beliefs.

Again, I apologize for somewhat starting this mess.

I'm not saying anyone said that directly. It's what I got from the comment made by JB a couple of posts ago. Not saying he implied that but when reading it that's what I took from it. JB, when I bought my first Cameron in 2000 it was 0 allure behind the name. Since then I have never gamed anything else because the Cameron works for me. It is always better to try before you buy but the point of my comment was that in the quoted comment from Thain, I got that he liked Betty's based on the support of THP.

In the end this is what matters, but as others has said, SC is not on my radar because I tend to like the fringe companies, the underdogs. SC putters are fine indeed, but so too are others at a fraction of the cost. SeeMore would get my vote as they are just down the street from me and I dig their design. However if it does not roll for me then I would not buy. As far as design, SC has some interesting stuff, even if some are re-designs from elsewhere. The big turn off is the cult like following and the seemingly exclusive collectors club... I know SC is deeper than that, but from where I sit, they/he is just to clicky for my taste.

I think the bags would go for the same price regardless of logo JRod, they were the Ryder Cup bags. Small quantities will do that.
I should probably apologize here, because my intent was really not to start a fire. I just can't understand how a company can take something and put a logo on it and all of a sudden people pay a fortune it.

However that being said it's their money and should be allowed to spend it how they want, regardless of my beliefs.

Bad, bad, boy..

yeah, I tested a bunch of putters and the best for me was a
$50 yes putter, and this was out of a bunch of Taylormades, scottys, Odysseys etc. . .it's not always in the name, that's why when THP features a small boutique putter company, I see if I can check them out somewhere

This was an interesting discussion. I still like the bag a lot. And I do want a Scotty, FWIW.

This was an interesting discussion. I still like the bag a lot. And I do want a Scotty, FWIW.

yeah that bag is one heck of a staff bag, time for One-t to win one

I don't think it's a fire. Just a debate. I don't feel anyway towards anyone who doesn't like Cameron's. it's all personal preference and opinion. That's what's great about this. I'm not pushing SC on anyone, I just happen to really like what he makes.

I thought there was some healthy back and forth in here JRod, no one got overly worked up. Its good to see/hear peoples thoughts and opinions on both sides. I enjoyed it.

I thought there was some healthy back and forth in here JRod, no one got overly worked up. Its good to see/hear peoples thoughts and opinions on both sides. I enjoyed it.

Yah I know I've just learned it's better to avoid these threads most of the time and I broke my own rule. Oh well.

I agree. I own a couple of SC's as well but have been out of the SC loop for many years. I just was really curious about their marketing (or lack there of) that was being discussed. It is truely remarkable SC's success without having to do much with the press. Amazing.

I agree. I own a couple of SC's as well but have been out of the SC loop for many years. I just was really curious about their marketing (or lack there of) that was being discussed. It is truely remarkable SC's sucess without having to do much with the press. Amazing.

Yes and no. They are a part of Titleist. One of the largest companies in terms of marketing. They also have a stranglehold on green grass business in many areas. No different than marketing really. Spend money to have products seen.

I have a Scotty. After reading this thread I might put it back in my bag.

Kevin

Did you buy it in 1972?

At 11 I gamed a Ram M'Lady. Never missed with it either. It might have been a rip off of a Scotty. I can't remember.

Bought the Scotty Squareback in '08 or '09. Because of how it looked and because I wanted a Scotty. I'm one of those people.

Kevin

At 11 I gamed a Ram M'Lady. Never missed with it either. It might have been a rip off of a Scotty. I can't remember.

Bought the Scotty Squareback in '08 or '09. Because of how it looked and because I wanted a Scotty. I'm one of those people.

Kevin

Should have bought three. Your friends would have thought you were so cool!

I don't need to buy anything to be cool. What's funny, is a lot of people buy a lot of golf clubs for the reason others buy a Scotty.

I'll probably stick to my TaylorMade stuff. I'm still loyal to my sponsor. Aside from the 3W.

Kevin

Back