2011 THP Outing Questions/Suggestions

I vote that Danillo makes some deserts for next time. He was telling us about different cheesecakes, or something like that, that he makes. His g/f swore he was an amazing chef. If we do it near Miami, THP DINNER at Danillo's!

I'm aware of that smalls but from the sounds of things the demo day's was not remotely the highlight of the trip.
I didn't go to this one, but I know the demo days were a huge hit at the Spring Outing. And from the people I've talked to they really enjoyed it. Until you've actually been there for it, you just don't realize what all goes on. I think most people who want it somewhere else will say the demo days isn't that big a deal, but with Josh and Morgan, the Demo Days IS a big deal, and the companies that send out the equipment think it's a pretty big deal too.

Demo day was a huge part of it... almost everyone was trying out new clubs, and the fact that you got to use some of em during your rounds was great!!
Exactly.

I vote that Danillo makes some deserts for next time. He was telling us about different cheesecakes, or something like that, that he makes. His g/f swore he was an amazing chef. If we do it near Miami, THP DINNER at Danillo's!

You got it buddy!! I'll at least make a few cheesecakes and bring em for the dessert part!

I didn't go to this one, but I know the demo days were a huge hit at the Spring Outing. And from the people I've talked to they really enjoyed it. Until you've actually been there for it, you just don't realize what all goes on. I think most people who want it somewhere else will say the demo days isn't that big a deal, but with Josh and Morgan, the Demo Days IS a big deal, and the companies that send out the equipment think it's a pretty big deal too.

Exactly.

I never said it wasn't a big deal as these outings were founded with testing equipment in mind. JB asked for suggestions in this thread of what people would like to see and I was just suggesting based top rated resorts in the nation and the fact that most every story I've read in the forums have been about the amazing resort and all of the fun stories. So the impression I got was people enjoyed the experience and friendships more than anything else. So excuse me if I made it sound like demoing wasn't important I was just saying it seems the facilities, people and golf were the focal points.

Ok guys, lets get this one back to the 2011 Outing and the questions we posed.

SKJ,
We did ask for input, however if you take a look at the questions, its clear that we will ONLY be holding the events in FL. THe demo portion is a big part of THP Outings, and tons of people found new setups that work great for them. We always encourage outings here, so if someone wants to plan a small outing at a great resort, they should definitely do so. Thanks.

1. Time of year to hold outing?
Anytime of year would be fine with me. Playing when costs are lower for flights would be beneficial since myself and 9i have so far to travel. I REALLY enjoyed the September weather. It was absolutely fantastic!

2. Stay & Play vs find your place/golf courses
Stay & Play would be my choice for sure. Makes it easier for traveling purposes and when you factor in people needing to rent a car it can increase your travel costs very quickly. Plus, it made it easier for everyone to spend more time together afterwards rather than worrying about traveling back to their hotel first to change and shower after a round of golf.

3. What area in FL?
It's Florida! A HUGE difference from where we are and I LOVE IT!! Anywhere would be fine by me though I really did enjoy WPB and wouldn't mind going back there one bit.

4. PGA National again vs another resort or area
As much as I enjoyed my stay at PGA National, if the place that gets chosen is anything like WPB I will be extremely happy. For me personally, I would enjoy going back to PGA National again next year for sure. It has a mix of everything to keep anyone happy while they are there.

5. 3 days vs 2 days (tcalloway1 came up with an idea of having the event run 3 days with the 1st day being a full day of demo day)
I kind of like the idea of keeping it the way that it was this time around. I enjoyed having a break from the demos and being able to mix it up and go do something different afterwards. Personally, I have a feeling that I might get tired of testing products out all day long and if there are more people out there like me, the demo might not have a lot of people there after awhile.

6. THP Dinner...Did you enjoy it? Should we do it again?
Absolutely! Was the best dinner I have had in a while. If the budget can handle doing the dinner again, I definitely agree that it should be kept.

7. Did you enjoy the contests?
The putting contest was a lot of fun for everything I think. It was a good time to practice (especially with the added incentive of course) and everyone really enjoyed themselves which is what its all about in the end.

8. Was the price of this outing worth it?
The food was on the expensive side and did seem to be a bit repetitive at times but was good none-the-less. The price to stay at the resort was fair as it included our golf each day which helped to cut costs down for sure. The staff were very helpful and friendly which was a nice bonus as was having our carts ready for us when we went down to golf for the day.

9. Would you come again or will you make it to the next one?
I would absolutely come again and plan on making it next year for sure wherever it ends up being held. Cost will end up playing a factor for sure but we'll work that all out when the time comes. However if it is in May next year you will have to count the both of us out.

10. What was the highlight? (or what would you have thought your highlight would have been had you come)
The highlight for me was getting to experience new things all around: traveling to Florida, the experience of the resort, playing 3 days of golf in a row (I've never done that before so that was awesome!), and meeting the people. I'm sure that there are many more things that I could list but that would take WAY too long.

1. Time of year to hold outing? I'm with WR and a few others, when it is least humid. The humidity kicked my tail. April is still pretty viable if I remember from my projects down there as far as humidity not being out of control. I'd also be willing to do early October and pay a little more to enjoy myself outside fully.

2. Stay & Play vs find your place/golf courses: Stay and Play all the way. I have been to other outings where the large group all find their own housing and it really kills the after round hanging out/getting to know everyone.

3. What area in FL? I'll leave that up to the FL experts, but that being said easy to fly into/get to/has variety of other activites for non-golfing partners would probably result in best attendance.

4. PGA National again vs another resort or area:
Loved PGA National and will be going back. I like the idea of a regular rotation, ala the British Open or excuse me 'The Open'. I would also like to suggest that the Disney Courses/Resort would be awesome and afford us the opportunity to play another PGA tour stop course. But then there is the idea of TPC Sawgrass.... And the Space Coast has quite a few little gems most people don't know about

5. 3 days vs 2 days (tcalloway1 came up with an idea of having the event run 3 days with the 1st day being a full day of demo day) 3 days please. I wanted to hit so much more than I did on the first day but knew that between the heat and humidity and the course I was about to face, I wouldn't make it if I didn't leave something in the tank. I love the idea of killing myself 3 days with non stop golf! And yes, I'd like to be able to take advantage of the replay package that most resorts offer at least once.

6. THP Dinner...Did you enjoy it? Should we do it again? Yes and Yes

7. Did you enjoy the contests? Loved the putting contest and would like to see some more.

8. Was the price of this outing worth it? MOST DEFINITELY!!

9. Would you come again or will you make it to the next one? Um, is the sky blue? You can be assured that I will make the next one, even if I have to quit my job to do it.

10. What was the highlight? (or what would you have thought your highlight would have been had you come): Meeting the people and hanging at the iBar was the biggest highlight.

But playing those courses came in a close second. Not once during a round did I think, OK, let's move this right along because I'm so done with this course. Even after losing 2 sleeves of balls on The Champions course, I was ready to play more.

Demo day was darn cool too.

If it came down to having to lose something because of costs/organizational duties or time commitment to get more golf in I would say the dinner with all the trappings. I think someone mentioned renting a space like the Bear Trap but have it order off the regular menu/everyone pays for their own meals/raffle and prize giveaway in an earlier post. That would work fine for me.

Here is why we were thinking 3 days. I think with a little explanation people will see the benefit of 3 days, one being a FULL demo day. I know that people got hot or tired of swinging, but one reason my have been that you only had 3 hours to really get down to business. A full demo da would mean that you could really take your time with each club and not feel so overwhelmed. Also, you would be able to talk with everyone a bit more about likes and dislikes. So, although it would be a full day, we could break it up with lunch and essentially you would have more demo time than we did this time.

What would a full day of demo do for the entire weekend?

This would allow for us to be able to play early rounds the rest of the weekend which would open up A LOT more time for socializing and/or time with your significant other/family. Also, I know I heard EVERYONE say, "I wish I could have played with ______". This would enable you to put together that "perfect" 4 some with a replay. Also, it would give anyone and everyone more time to get ready for the dinner if that was needed. We could have the dinner a little earlier than 8:00 so it would give more time for us to catch up and get to know one another. To me, its a no brainer that demo day should be all day friday. The weekend as a whole would feel a lot less rushed. Also, it would make for people traveling home on Sunda to be able to get an earlier start. Questions/Comments??

I think Orlando or Tampa is the PERFECT place for the next outting, both airports are larger than the WPB airport. Also, there is plenty to do in each area. I think with it being in an easier to travel to spot, more people may be able to attend.

Those are good points. For the people bringing spouses, it probably would have been nice for them to get off the course a bit earlier.

Here is why we were thinking 3 days. I think with a little explanation people will see the benefit of 3 days, one being a FULL demo day. I know that people got hot or tired of swinging, but one reason my have been that you only had 3 hours to really get down to business. A full demo da would mean that you could really take your time with each club and not feel so overwhelmed. Also, you would be able to talk with everyone a bit more about likes and dislikes. So, although it would be a full day, we could break it up with lunch and essentially you would have more demo time than we did this time.

This would allow for us to be able to play early rounds the rest of the weekend which would open up A LOT more time for socializing and/or time with your significant other/family. Also, I know I heard EVERYONE say, "I wish I could have played with ______". This would enable you to put together that "perfect" 4 some with a replay. Also, it would give anyone and everyone more time to get ready for the dinner if that was needed. We could have the dinner a little earlier than 8:00 so it would give more time for us to catch up and get to know one another. To me, its a no brainer that demo day should be all day friday. The weekend as a whole would feel a lot less rushed. Also, it would make for people traveling home on Sunda to be able to get an earlier start. Questions/Comments??

I think Orlando or Tampa is the PERFECT place for the next outting, both airports are larger than the WPB airport. Also, there is plenty to do in each area. I think with it being in an easier to travel to spot, more people may be able to attend.

i agree with everything 100%!

Definitely great points I just think it also has to be considered that extra $$$ for staying that one extra night could make a huge difference. Also getting a flight into FL that early for some on a Friday would be tough. I love the point about spending more time with the significant others/family. We'd make it work for sure. That is a great point the more I type and think lol.

Good points, T. I concur.

doing 3 days and make 1 a demo day, would also allow you to go to the spa, or enjoy the pool more. I like the idea of the 3 days. Cost permitting.

did your fiancee make this post? lol
doing 3 days and make 1 a demo day, would also allow you to go to the spa, or enjoy the pool more. I like the idea of the 3 days. Cost permitting.

College reading weeks would make it a little easier for the college kids to come. I dont know if college kids showing up is a positive or not, but I know I'd like to attend.

Orange county national is a huge place, you can fly into orlando. 2 courses, and a 9 hole par3 course. The range is so big it goes into a circle, and they can section off a nice private place. The putting greens are under lights, letting the putter demo be possible at night?

They have some accommodations that from what I remember are fairly inexpensive, and nice. I liked it alot there. I dont think its too far from anything fun either?
Also you can fly into orlando(cheaper)

great stuff One-T

Thanks everyone, I just think that when you sit back and really think about the benefits its a NO BRAINER

Guys lets PLEASE keep this one banter free. We are forwarding this thread to many of the resorts that are possibilities in our eyes and would like it to be pretty clean. Thanks.

I'd like to change one small aspect of my earlier votes. I have thought more about the option of an all day demo for everything to be held on 1 day and the rest of the days packed with as much golf as you care to play at a stay and play resort and I really love this idea. Then those crazy golf nuts like myself can go out and play 27 or 36 holes in a day, all in an effort to get to play with more THP'ers and good friends we've met from past outings. Sign me up for that please!

+1..I could see an equipment tester bonanza one of the rounds....we have all pre-release or just released stuff in our bags that we can play with...
I'd like to change one small aspect of my earlier votes. I have thought more about the option of an all day demo for everything to be held on 1 day and the rest of the days packed with as much golf as you care to play at a stay and play resort and I really love this idea. Then those crazy golf nuts like myself can go out and play 27 or 36 holes in a day, all in an effort to get to play with more THP'ers and good friends we've met from past outings. Sign me up for that please!

I want to add one more thing to this event planning, is that I would very much like this to offer world class golf. It would be hard to go play a regular public course after having gone through the courses we went through this weekend. I love the idea of playing tour stop golf or VERY good resort golf. We are researching like crazy on our end.

totally agree. playing secret stuff on a local muni doesn't add up.
I want to add one more thing to this event planning, is that I would very much like this to offer world class golf. It would be hard to go play a regular public course after having gone through the courses we went through this weekend. I love the idea of playing tour stop golf or VERY good resort golf. We are researching like crazy on our end.

agreed! Playing the Champions course was awesome. Many times we stood there wondering how they would approach a hole, how it would look with fans and bleechers around the greens and tee boxes. I would love to play that course again. The Ryder Cup had to be awesome on that course.

I also liked how we had our own practice area. That worked out great.

Agree as well. I can play ok/semi-nice courses any time. I like the idea of playing spectacular courses.

Back