$1B dollar tax bill for Powerballwinner?

Scribble

More balls to hit…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Vanity 20
1697112052419.png
Imagine being the winner of last nights Powerball
And Facing a $1B dollar tax bill!!

California has hit for 4.8 billion in the past year of Powerball

That’s just the “take it all now tax.” The actual taxes make it more than that. They’ll have the 24% state income tax and up to 37% federal. Still plenty to live on though
1697112460345.png
1697112508845.png

I don’t think the winner will have a $1 billion tax bill. The cash option is just $780 million anyway. The tax would be calculated off of that total. US highest bracket is 37% and states highest is CA at 13.3% so the absolute highest tax you could pay on the cash option would be $390 million. A smart winner however would take a few million to set themselves up and plow the rest into a charitable trust that pays them a handsome sim to do charitable work for the rest of their lives. No taxes on that and current interest rates would mean you could live a really nice life, do a lot of good, and that trust will take care of generations of their family and do good for generations as well.

I'm very familiar with the Frazier Park area, it's a very small community on the Grapevine route of Interstate 5. I suppose a Frazier Park resident could have won it but chances are high that a traveler bought the winning ticket while buying gas heading north or south.

I think the taxes would only be on the $700M. The drop from 1.7B down to the lump is a the difference in the present value of the future annuity.

I'm very familiar with the Frazier Park area, it's a very small community on the Grapevine route of Interstate 5. I suppose a Frazier Park resident could have won it but chances are high that a traveler bought the winning ticket while buying gas heading north or south.
That’s what I was thinking too. Lots of truckers and travelers going through there daily that pit stop there.

That’s just the “take it all now tax.” The actual taxes make it more than that. They’ll have the 24% state income tax and up to 37% federal. Still plenty to live on though
View attachment 9212931
View attachment 9212932
Yes and the spread between the two is really high right now because treasury yields are so high right now. The up front deposit has a much higher future value so they can advertise a lot bigger number right now.

I wonder if the person who won $1.5 billion from a shop on skid row has claimed their jackpot yet, think that was back in early summer

I just need like.. 10 million.

All of these scenarios sound amazing haha
Having that much money to have that much of a tax bill would be a fun problem lol

I don’t think the winner will have a $1 billion tax bill. The cash option is just $780 million anyway. The tax would be calculated off of that total. US highest bracket is 37% and states highest is CA at 13.3% so the absolute highest tax you could pay on the cash option would be $390 million. A smart winner however would take a few million to set themselves up and plow the rest into a charitable trust that pays them a handsome sim to do charitable work for the rest of their lives. No taxes on that and current interest rates would mean you could live a really nice life, do a lot of good, and that trust will take care of generations of their family and do good for generations as well.
The Charitable angle is pretty slick
I knew there was always an angle however I never knew what it was.
I guess that's why you're the @DataDude !

Last edited:
The Charitable angle is pretty slick
I knew there was always an angle however I never knew what is was.
I guess that's why you're the @DataDude !
There are people that make a lot of money saving people a lot of money.

I just need like.. 10 million.

All of these scenarios sound amazing haha
Could you imagine just even getting $1 million? Pay off house, cars, and make sure kids college is good to go? That would make life so much easier and give a lot financial flexibility.

I'd really like to see how any of that feels....think I could deal with it.

Poor soul having to live on only 700 million. 🤣

Ha I knew I forgot to buy something yesterday. That would have been me:

Poor soul having to live on only 700 million. 🤣
Probably couldn't even buy themselves that gold plated Honma set of clubs at $70,000.

Thats not technically the tax bill but honestly, who really cares about the tax bill after spending $2 on the winning ticket???

There are people that make a lot of money saving people a lot of money.

there are more people who don't make a whole lot of money saving people a whole lot of money (raises hand)

As stated- not a "tax", but there is some involved in there on the 700 mil, so THAT would be less. Probably 'clear' about 500 after taxes... maybe less.

View attachment 9212931
View attachment 9212932

the mandatory withholding of 24% "eats into" the full 37% owed. the 37% isn't owed on all of the winnings because income taxes are generally progressive, but at that amount of money it's essentially 37% on the whole thing. so the extra tax bill for federal would be 13% (37% less the 24% withheld up front). the smart thing to do is plow the tax bill into a short-term cd (probably tax-exempt) so the money is earning a little something and protected until it's due next april.

with that much money, your bigger concern is shielding the growth from the estate tax, and protecting yourself from yourself. i love the idea of annuity trusts (cruts, slats, and others) that freeze your net worth but still provide income streams, creditor protection, etc. it would be a lot of fun to have this money and come up with cool ways to preserve the wealth while helping family, charities, and living the good life.

Back