Search results for query: *

1. doc53

Why did you start playing golf…???

My Dad and Mom joined our local 9-hole course in 1958 (Arnold Effect). I was 5 and older bro 8. Mom soon began playing 9 holes each weekday afternoon during the summers. She would take us boys along, and they got us a couple clubs. Older bro got his own set which was handed down to me when I was...
  2. doc53

Putting with line on ball?

I think it is only an aid if it helps me make more putts; otherwise a nonfactor or even a distraction.
  3. doc53

Putting with line on ball?

Never use a line
  4. doc53

The 60 and over Thread

My 5 iron has 27*. I get plenty of loft and good stopping. It's my 185-190 club. I assume my 5 has longer shaft than your similarly lofted 7 and I may play more to middle front of stance. Maybe with your swing speed, a hybrid would give you the flight you want for that 160ish yd shot better than...
  5. doc53

Sentimentality and golf stuff - Where is the line?!

@OldandStiff My golf life has two distinct phases; age 8 to 20, I played a lot and won a lot. My Mom saved all that stuff and gave what she had to me a few years ago when my parents moved to a care facility. It's in my attic. My second golf life after long hiatus began 6 years ago when I...
  6. doc53

Sentimentality and golf stuff - Where is the line?!

I've had 2 hole-in-ones. I generally consider those to be result of good luck. Now my trophies, medals, course records, personal bests, and shooting my age are all highly valued by me (and my family I guess) but are little known to others who know me in real life.
  7. doc53

Test Your Ball Striking With a Long Iron

I play Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 irons. I replaced the 21* 3 iron with a T200 17* 2 iron a couple years ago to have a club with penetrating flight (it gets very windy in Iowa these days). I had trouble keeping the 3 iron down. Then I noticed the gap was too big between the 2 iron and my Staff 4...
  8. doc53

If you are over 60....?

I'm 70, I stopped playing in my 20's so I will have to compare to 50 years ago. I hit the ball so much better now; higher ball flight and much longer. I never had a sand wedge until I made the college team, only a pitching wedge through high school. (We all carried 4 woods and 2-pw.) Now I...
  9. doc53

The 60 and over Thread

That is a lot to think about Mike. Glad you were hitting well today.
  10. doc53

What is your best 9 hole stretch ever? Or that you can remember?

My course is par 71 (37-34). April 2022, I shot a 27 on the back. I was 6 under after the first 5 holes and birdied the last. It was not in a tournament. I was playing with my usual group. I shot a 35 on the front.
  11. doc53

Did you start playing golf AT or PT?

First played golf in 1958
  12. doc53

Do you use a 3W or something else for your step down from driver?

I'll use a 3w or 2i depending on distance needed and wind conditions.
  13. doc53

Hole in One, can you beat this?

First HIO 1967 (age 13) Second HIO 2022 (age 69)
  14. doc53

Are you longer or shorter than the typical player at your age/handicap? Graph Attached

It would be extremely difficult for a 70-year-old who only hits it 212 to get to a plus handicap.
  15. doc53

Internal OB

Occasionally played course in neighboring town as a youngster with a sharp dogleg left. It had a 15 foot pole on the corner. Your ball had to pass to the right of the pole or it was out of bounds. Made for some interesting discussions after certain tee shots sailed over the corner.
  16. doc53

Over 60... how much do you play?

Every day weather permitting. Always ride. By myself; 1 1/2 hour in the mornings for 18. Three times a week with buddies at about 3 hours. I'm the youngest of group at 70. I'll hit practice balls a few days a week. Some days I play 36.
  17. doc53

What Golf Stuff Did You Do Today?

City course is across the road from my house. They are having clean-up this afternoon. I don't play there, but I went over this morning and raked up debris on par 3 closest to me. Both courses here will open this weekend I think.
Back