EXPERIENCE The 2024 Morgan Cup – Sponsored by Cobra Golf

So ... went to the PGASS to check out what's what with the Cobra lineup

LS vs MAX with LinQ Blue & HZRDUS Black
LS was the clear Victor here
View attachment 9262677

View attachment 9262678

View attachment 9262679

View attachment 9262680

Ignore the outliers there in white. But the dispersion was great with both.
280 yards with the LS

View attachment 9262682

142 ball speed
2300 spin
275 yards
I can live with that for sure.

View attachment 9262688

On to the irons.
Tour vs Dark Speed
Man .... I absolutely love the Dark Speed irons. It's been decades since I've hit a 7 iron 180+ yards
View attachment 9262689
View attachment 9262690
Blue were the Tour with DG120 steel
Red Dot was the 185 yard 7 iron! For this old man, ill take that any day of the week & twice on Sunday.

View attachment 9262691
The KBS shaft is pretty damn good. At least for about 25 swings anyway.
View attachment 9262692View attachment 9262693

I don't mind the top line either. Not as thick as i expected. Pretty ice looking irons to be honest. I think they would look nicely in the MC bag.
View attachment 9262694

View attachment 9262695

Hit the putters next.

Too bad they were all 35" but I did roll one of the mallets & blades
View attachment 9262696View attachment 9262697View attachment 9262698View attachment 9262699

I will need more time with the putters but I'm still leaning towards the classic blade.
I had a feeling you might dig the dark speed irons. Some solid distance with the driver too! Heavy weight forward or back? You gonna go back to get a better idea or do a fitting?

The Cobra lineup is so solid this year.

So ... went to the PGASS to check out what's what with the Cobra lineup

LS vs MAX with LinQ Blue & HZRDUS Black
LS was the clear Victor here
View attachment 9262677

View attachment 9262678

View attachment 9262679

View attachment 9262680

Ignore the outliers there in white. But the dispersion was great with both.
280 yards with the LS

View attachment 9262682

142 ball speed
2300 spin
275 yards
I can live with that for sure.

View attachment 9262688

On to the irons.
Tour vs Dark Speed
Man .... I absolutely love the Dark Speed irons. It's been decades since I've hit a 7 iron 180+ yards
View attachment 9262689
View attachment 9262690
Blue were the Tour with DG120 steel
Red Dot was the 185 yard 7 iron! For this old man, ill take that any day of the week & twice on Sunday.

View attachment 9262691
The KBS shaft is pretty damn good. At least for about 25 swings anyway.
View attachment 9262692View attachment 9262693

I don't mind the top line either. Not as thick as i expected. Pretty ice looking irons to be honest. I think they would look nicely in the MC bag.
View attachment 9262694

View attachment 9262695

Hit the putters next.

Too bad they were all 35" but I did roll one of the mallets & blades
View attachment 9262696View attachment 9262697View attachment 9262698View attachment 9262699

I will need more time with the putters but I'm still leaning towards the classic blade.
Love the work you put in to post this. Those Darkspeed irons are fantastic and I really need to hit the LS again. I’ve only had a couple swings with it.

Love seeing more posts of bag builds, fittings, and thoughts on the new Cobra equipment the last few days! I've felt pretty good with my bag for the past few weeks, but looking forward to one more trip to OKC next week for one last pre-order rendezvous with Darkspeed & King Tour.

14 days until bag order
147 days until the Morgan Cup

I had a feeling you might dig the dark speed irons. Some solid distance with the driver too! Heavy weight forward or back? You gonna go back to get a better idea or do a fitting?

The Cobra lineup is so solid this year.
Fitting probably. Weight forward

Awesome! Thanks for sharing all this, cool to read through and hear the thoughts. Heck of a 7 iron!
Believe me ... I was pleasantly surprised. Decent angle 43*

y'all attending pay attention to yags today??

Off course!
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Great listen today. Love how passionate and excited Yags gets for his job. Plus he is just so wicked smart!
Best part, he's a Hacker. :drinks:

The teams did this last year and I found it very interesting, especially as someone not in the event and trying to follow along at home, so I'll take my crack at it on my current thoughts and reasons why:

Driver - Darkspeed LS 9*, paired with a PX HZRDUS Smoke Blue, 60g 6.5 (XS)

For drivers, I have always hit it high and had good amounts of spin. I have been using lower spin versions of driver heads for years now, and they seem to pair well with my game, and do not hurt me in terms of launch or distance due to it. As for X-stiff, I actually originally went XS a few years ago to help with control, which I also play my driver a little short compared to stock these days, and I don't lose anything distance wise based on fittings vs stiff, so I keep with XS. I typically have a driver swing between 107-110 depending on how warmed up I am.

As for why that shaft: I attended the Handcrafted Experience with PX a few years ago through THP, and since then I have been a PX homer. They also just work really well for me, so that doesn't hurt. The Smoke Blue is a shaft for moderate tempo swings, which is what I tend to have, and is a low launch/low spin option which I typically play. It's also counter balanced, which will play a lot like the HZRDUS Yellow's I have played in the past and had really good success with. This will be the reason for the driver and the woods.

3 wood/5 wood - Darkspeed LS, paired with a PX HZRDUS Smoke Blue, 70g 6.5 (XS)

For 3 wood, I went and got fit as I was actually planning to go Darkspeed X with a stiff shaft here, but fitting wise the XS actually worked great, and the LS lost no peak height/descent angle, or grouping, so I will stay with LS for the adjustability that it can provide. The stiff also didn't seem to do much different and I was a bit more controlled with the XS here as well.

For 5 wood, I'm just going to keep it consistent with the 3 wood to have a more consistent step down in my bag. Again, not losing any height and descent angle, which would be very important here because a 5 wood would be going more into greens than a 3 wood might, but the LS was still fantastic at that, and IMO I like the look of at address better.

Hybrid - Darkspeed 4h, paired with the MMT Hybrid 80g, X stiff, -1 inch

This is one that changed a bit after my fitting. I was planning fully to go with the HZRDUS hybrid shaft, but it just didn't pair well in my fitting. I also was going to fully go stiff here, but again with the Darkspeed head (which was loooooooong), the xstiff actually helped with dispersion and again no loss of peak height or descent angle, so it is a no brainer. I am also going to have Cobra chop off an inch of it because it's so long and I am looking for a specific distance range, and with that, the X-stiff will also be softened up a bit naturally.

Over the last few years I've always played a 4 iron, but it was always a chunkier iron compared to my 5-PW, but I am wanting to go hybrid here for more consistency. When I'm swinging well I can launch my 4 iron really well, but I just have better consistency with Hybrids in terms of distance and contact.

Irons - King Tour - 5-GW, $-Taper, Stiff.

Basically just going to go completely stock here. the $-tapers that Cobra is using they are stating a low spin/low launch iron shaft, and that is what I need. And the 120g will work just fine here. Been playing the Srixon 765's for 8 years now, so this is going to be the biggest change for me, but I trust these irons to get me there. Being able to go set GW is huge too, as I love that and really only full swing my GW anyway.

Wedges - Snakebite Raw 54/58 versatile, DG S400

Wedges I am just going to try to mimic my current wedges as much as I can. I have S400's in my current wedges....great, no upcharge option lets do those. Wedge grinds - the 54 is only offered in versatile, but that is what I would have done anyway, and for the 58* I usually get the lowest bounce I can with the most relief as I do some golf shots with that one. Anytime I try anymore bounce on my 58 it just doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Putter - Agera RS-30

For my putter, after trying both out, I wanted to go with the new aluminum insert. In my short time trying them they are very enjoyable, and the PEBAX insert on the vintage line was just too soft for me. Need a little bit of toe hang though based on my putter fittings I've gone through, and usually about 20-30* is perfect, so that is where we are going.

Anyway, this is subject to change obviously (in case something changes and we can't get certain things), but a little insight into what is currently planned.

Last edited:
I’ve hit the King Tec and the 5h will be ordered to replace the 9w. That’s the only club I can find locally. I have a full bag fitting scheduled Sunday at Miles of Golf in Cincinnati. I’ll try to get as much info as possible to post here afterwards.

How many Cuppers have Snakebite X on their card? I know Raw is the new and sexy but the X damned sure gets the job done.
I’m probably going with it in the 52 and maybe the 58.

How many Cuppers have Snakebite X on their card? I know Raw is the new and sexy but the X damned sure gets the job done.
I will be on that list! They offer a ton of forgiveness for someone like myself that struggles with partial shots that need precision. Like you said, they get the job done.

Was my first Off Course YouTube!
I didn’t watch that yet.. will have to and see if it provides a better experience..

@jdtox

How triggered were you by Dan trying to steal your colors?

Great listen today. Love how passionate and excited Yags gets for his job. Plus he is just so wicked smart!
There’s wicked smart and them there’s Yag. He has an ability to make aerodynamics understandable for us. Not bad for a Cyclone. :cool:

Back