The 60 and over Thread

I'm on the same wave. Fun.
I stopped at the range today. Wind steady upper teens gusting to the upper 20's. At the end I was hitting little stinger 3 Hybrids right into the teeth of it, getting no more that 30-35' in the air, I was hitting most of them right into the 8' high 200 yard fence (range goes to 275 before the real fence) with Callaway reduced flight range balls.. I turn off the tee and there was a teaching pro buddy of mine who gives lessons there as well as other places. He was watching me.
He said "Damn Paul, are you ever going to act your age?"
All I could say is "I hope not".
Don't let the old man in!

Had a tough round on a difficult course yesterday. I hadn’t played the course in 25 years, so it was like playing it for the first time. My playing partner and I were paired with a couple of regulars, so they were able to give us tips, but I often didn’t execute. I kept pushing my driver right, which is rare for me, as I tend to fight a hook. My dumbest shot was trying to hit a fade with driver, which I did, but started so far right that my ball probably landed on a residential street. It was a par 5 with a dogleg right at about 180-200 yards. Could have easily hit a hybrid instead of trying those shenanigans.

The course is heavily treed and has a water hazard on almost every hole, including a creek crossing the fairway on just about every par 4/5, which made for tough decisions on what to hit. Driver was often not the right choice off the box. Well placed bunkers were also a challenge.

Shot a 93 and only kept it under 100 because my short game was on. The new Halos are more of an adjustment than I expected, as I pulled quite a few shots. Hard to score when doing that on a course that requires precision. I also hit some of the best iron shots I’ve hit in quite a while, so I just need more practice with the new sticks.

We had a great time and will return. They run a special every now and then with a $39 senior rate that includes a beer. Hopefully with a little course knowledge, I can score better next time.

I ham and egged it for a 88 yesterday on a long (for me) 6200+ yard course on a day where nothing seemed to be working for me. Everything was just a bit off contact wise, and my mishaps with the putter are now officially concerning. It’s time to make a change from the EvnRoll and go with either my Yes Tracy blade, or Scotty 5.5.

I was also really disappointed with the Callaway Raw Face wedges. I use my 54* mainly for full or 3/4 shots, and it’s playing 10 yards shorter than my CBX Zipcore which has the same exact shaft. They have a dead feel to me… it’s my fault for jumping on what I thought was a great deal when I know I really haven’t meshed with anything Callaway for about 2-3 years now.

Last edited:
Played in a best ball event Monday playing a course at 6100 yards par 71. I think I hit one wedge approach shot all day. The South Course at NCR CC has been used for a PGA, US Women’s Open, USGA Sr Open along with several other events. It’s a tough track from that distance for me as there are 3 or 4 par 4s that are not in reach for me except maybe with 2 perfect shots. We finished in the top third, 11th out of 30+ teams. I had a good stretch and some disasters. Same for my partner. I had not played the course for a while and I forgot just how tough it was/is. I ended up with 87 and didn’t feel to bad about it.

Today was OK. Greens were punched at the club. But they putted OK. Right now they are holding approach shots, but that will change in 2-3 weeks. 82 today with a stupid double on 17. Tomorrow is another day.

I think this was my approach on the 14th at South. First hole we played. That’s a 51* Edison wedge with a 70g A flex shaft. I screwed up and wore the wrong shoes.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 13
I think this was my approach on the 14th at South. First hole we played. That’s a 51* Edison wedge with a 70g A flex shaft. I screwed up and wore the wrong shoes.
We know better than to doubt your sense of fashion, Mike. 😇

Demo’ed the Cleveland Zip Core irons on steel shafts yesterday. Same issue I’m having with my gamers… hitting all over the face resulting in hooks and shanks. Maybe 1 swing out of 10 was decent.
May try the Halos but I’ll probably end up just building a set of Maltby TS3. Equipment isn’t the issue.

Was hitting the GW and 9i from my old set of Adams a4’s last night and was hitting them very well. So I’m struggling to hit my gamers and the latest tech but can hit older heads on steel shafts… not sure what that’s about.
Might be @JonMA1, you are just comfortable with the Adams clubs. If you are relaxed and feel comfortable you swing better.

I was also really disappointed with the Callaway Raw Face wedges. I use my 54* mainly for full or 3/4 shots, and it’s playing 10 yards shorter than my CBX Zipcore which has the same exact shaft.
That seems kinda odd. How do the other Callaway RF wedges feel, perform?

Demo’ed the Cleveland Zip Core irons on steel shafts yesterday. Same issue I’m having with my gamers… hitting all over the face resulting in hooks and shanks. Maybe 1 swing out of 10 was decent.
May try the Halos but I’ll probably end up just building a set of Maltby TS3. Equipment isn’t the issue.

Was hitting the GW and 9i from my old set of Adams a4’s last night and was hitting them very well. So I’m struggling to hit my gamers and the latest tech but can hit older heads on steel shafts… not sure what that’s about.
Is this on all Irons or just Wedges?

Need proper Socks. 😀

That seems kinda odd. How do the other Callaway RF wedges feel, perform?
I only use my low bounce 58 from bunkers or hard packed dirt areas and it’s been good. The RF have a lot of spin, which is nice, but they brand new. I just don’t understand why the 54* is playing 10 yards shorter. I only hit my CBX 54* 80 yards, so a drop to 70 with the RF is quite a bit.
I’m playing this morning at 11am, so we’ll see if anything changes.

Is this on all Irons or just Wedges?
A lot less of an issue with wedges. Actually finding the center of the face more with those.

I may have typed the wrong iron name...
The club I tested was the ZipCore XL 7i head on a KBS tour lite r-flex shaft. I believe Cleveland puts weight at the end of the grip as a counterweight(??). The club felt “sloppy” for lack of a better term.

I’m working on correcting the swing flaw which has me hitting towards the heel. It has little to do with whichever iron I’m holding. Was making progress last night.

A lot less of an issue with wedges. Actually finding the center of the face more with those.

I may have typed the wrong iron name...
The club I tested was the ZipCore XL 7i head on a KBS tour lite r-flex shaft. I believe Cleveland puts weight at the end of the grip as a counterweight(??). The club felt “sloppy” for lack of a better term.

I’m working on correcting the swing flaw which has me hitting towards the heel. It has little to do with whichever iron I’m holding. Was making progress last night.
I get it. When I started playing I was all over the Face. Took a lesson and Pro told me to slow down and hold finish for 5 sec. Used tape on face (never thought of Shoe Spray), and took nothing but 3/4 Swings until I hit center everytime. Back into Golf again and I'm doing this routine all over again, this time with Shoe Spray. 😀

I get it. When I started playing I was all over the Face. Took a lesson and Pro told me to slow down and hold finish for 5 sec. Used tape on face (never thought of Shoe Spray), and took nothing but 3/4 Swings until I hit center everytime. Back into Golf again and I'm doing this routine all over again, this time with Shoe Spray. 😀
Slowing down helps me as well. I also have to stop trying to get more distance with my lower body. While I hate this term, but “goat bumping” I think is how it’s described. It’s also not good for my back.

Slowing down helps me as well. I also have to stop trying to get more distance with my lower body. While I hate this term, but “goat bumping” I think is how it’s described. It’s also not good for my back.
Never heard that term before and I'd be cautious on what Forums you use it in. 😀

Any seniors stop keeping score? At this age, it's about enjoying the walk for me with company or getting out as a single. Now, when I chunk one on a chip, I just hit another and don't think about it. In my younger years, a bad chip would ruin my day. I still want to play well. But, I no longer worry about the score. I also like to drive 1-2 hours to play different courses. Funny how priorities change when you hit our age.
That’s been my philosophy since I started playing again a few years ago.

Weather in the 80's now. Nice a warm. But May is the windiest month of the year around here. Warmer weather. Usually sunny. Gusty winds though.

I'm heading out today. I gotta avoid hitting any kind of fade. Wind tends to make it worse. First two holes are into the wind. 3rd hole is with the wind but with the stream crossing the fairway its too risky to use driver. Even with the wind I can't carry the 210-215 yards it will take to clear it. And the wind might push it enough to reach the water.

My playing partners today are younger and play from the whites at 6300+. I might play it too in order to see how much the loss of distance has affected my game. I don't play the Sunday gaggle that much anymore but when I do everyone plays from the whites. I'm curious if I can still compete.

I tend to hit too many toe shots. When I try to hit it on the heel it tends to hit closer to the center. But also tends hit left. Not sure if hitting closer to the heel is promoting a closed face. Changing the grip helps a bit.

I played with a guy today who's 95 years old. His putter was only knee-high and he was no more than 5'4'' tall. He wrote 2 books on putting that's on Amazon. He was balls-dead accurate with these clubs and sneaky long for his age. The only thing is he can't hear too well so you have to scream at him. IMG_1796.jpegIMG_1794.jpeg

Hot digity, how many people say " Thank God my Back hurt during Golf today".
Iron play today was poor since I was having a hard time staying down. 2nd Hole practiced a lazy sort of Snap Swing eith Driver, Wrist release at last minute with no guiding... hmmm, this feels familiar. Rest of Round with barely using Hip rotation commence to hit 245-250 shots with ease. Everytime I hit Driver I was remembering my old Swing. 18 Holes in 3 Hrs partly walking.
Now if you'll excuse me I've gotta Ice my Back. 😀

Iron play today was poor since I was having a hard time staying down. 2nd Hole practiced a lazy sort of Snap Swing eith Driver, Wrist release at last minute with no guiding... hmmm, this feels familiar. Rest of Round with barely using Hip rotation commence to hit 245-250 shots with ease. Everytime I hit Driver I was remembering my old Swing. 18 Holes in 3 Hrs partly walking.
Once upon a time we were young and invincible. i guess being old and hurting is better than the alternative, to a point. Old age is not for sissies!

Once upon a time we were young and invincible. i guess being old and hurting is better than the alternative, to a point. Old age is not for sissies!
Oh it's not Just old age, it's not playing for many years and totally forgetting what my Swing felt like. It doesn't help that I'm unable to practice. At least I was able to finish 18 finally since late 2022.

TENS machine.........

Back