The 60 and over Thread

So does this have a Vibration feature, asking for someone. 😀
This one does, as well as a modes to cause muscle contractions.

I am starting to collect these suckers, like a putter ho only cheaper! I have one in each vehicle, one at work, two at home.

EDIT, looks like this site blocks Amazon links. WTF.,

Last edited:
This one does, as well as a modes to cause muscle contractions.

I am starting to collect these suckers, like a putter ho only cheaper! I have one in each vehicle, one at work, two at home.

EDIT, looks like this site blocks Amazon links. WTF.,

We do not block amazon links.
It looks like you tried to insert it as a media link, rather than just copy and paste.

Playing a nice Metropark course today. But its going to be windy. We usually play the whites @ 6485 yards. But early season, wind and cold I was going to suggest we move up a box to around 6000, 6100 yards. But one DOESN'T EXIST! The next box up is 5656 yards. an 800 yard gap? Weird. Something I never noticed till now. There is no way I am going to get those guys to move up there. Heck, I don't even want to, it would take the driver out of my hands on a lot of holes. And a 392 yard, literally a drive & 7 or 8 Iron "par 5" just isn't right. LOL I know the hole well, it does play slightly uphill but come on........ Meanwhile another par 5 that only plays around 25' downhill off the tee is 552. Most people playing those tees aren't going to get there without hitting 3 woods for crying out loud........ I think they need to rethink their tee boxes.

It looks like you tried to insert it as a media link, rather than just copy and paste.
Well that proves @JB Isn’t 60 and over since he understands that stuff, I'm like ummm, What? 😀

Nope. Copy and paste doesnt work. Weird. I know it has before. Thanks anyhow. I'll try from my phone later.

Playing a nice Metropark course today. But its going to be windy. We usually play the whites @ 6485 yards. But early season, wind and cold I was going to suggest we move up a box to around 6000, 6100 yards. But one DOESN'T EXIST! The next box up is 5656 yards. an 800 yard gap? Weird. Something I never noticed till now. There is no way I am going to get those guys to move up there. Heck, I don't even want to, it would take the driver out of my hands on a lot of holes. And a 392 yard, literally a drive & 7 or 8 Iron "par 5" just isn't right. LOL I know the hole well, it does play slightly uphill but come on........ Meanwhile another par 5 that only plays around 25' downhill off the tee is 552. Most people playing those tees aren't going to get there without hitting 3 woods for crying out loud........ I think they need to rethink their tee boxes.
Have fun and don't let that Wind mess up your Swing. 6400 is Borderline for me. Not that I can't hit it far enough, more like how far left or right until I find my Swing.

Have fun and don't let that Wind mess up your Swing. 6400 is Borderline for me. Not that I can't hit it far enough, more like how far left or right until I find my Swing.
There is only one hole there that kills me every time. And its such a simple hole. 157 yards, a good 35' downhill. Big pond right in front. 157 is a perfect 8I carry for me on level ground. I usually figure 18' of elevation =1 club for short irons and wedges. My real, preferred play would be a big cut 9I safely to the back, take my 2 putts and get the hell out of there., but there is no room to start it far enough left because you are coming out of a chute.. I pull a PW and then hit it extra hard because the pond is hard to put out of mind, and I'll launch the PW left, as I am prone to doing when swinging short irons too hard. I am going to figure out what is wrong in my head with this hole one day. Meanwhile my kid rattled the pin twice last year with an approach wedge. Oh to be 23 again. LOL

I received the assembled DTC shafts yesterday, one with a Callaway adaptor and the second with a Maltby adaptor. I put grips and the AI Smoke and the KE4 max heads on them and took them to a field along with by Garmin LM and hit a dozen or so balls with each. The Garmin is not the most reliable when it comes to spin numbers, but it did a good job of getting the distances when measuring against gps. I had a little wind at my back during the practice session.

The Smoke excelled in club head speed, AOA and lower spin numbers, while the smash factor and total distances were better with the Maltby. I was able to keep the ball "in play" with both heads mounted onto the slightly heavier, stiffer DTC shafts. I topped a couple shots with each club, pulled one and pushed another but overall, I was really happy with how each club performed.

Either one of these clubs should play fine on the course. I'm still working on getting my distances back to what they were last year. I suspect they might drop. If so, it'll be due to age and a winter injury, not the equipment.

I don't know what will happen once I'm on the course and I still don't which of these clubs I'll put in the bag. But I have confirmed that at my level and with my swing, there was no reason to spend the extra money on the AI Smoke. It's a great club head and I'm no longer regretting the fitting or the purchase. As I've said in the past, it was the only way to know. I now have three drivers that I have confidence with.

The one positive through all this is that I've worked on the driver swing more this year than past seasons and I'm cautiously optimistic it might show up 2024. Of course, we've all been through a few good range sessions followed by a total collapse once on the course, ha-ha. Honestly, I'm just looking for slight improvement not perfection.

The bad news is that I've neglected other parts of the game. I suspect it'll take a few rounds and more practice to get the full swing with irons and hybrids as well as the wedge game going. I'm hoping to upgrade at least one of my wedges (looking at a 56° Cleveland to match my beloved 60°) and possibly a new iron set this year (likely DTC).

While I'm more in the mindset that the importance of equipment falls way behind ability, experimenting with different clubs is certainly an enjoyable part of the game.

Make your own set of combo tees that come to your target of 6000–6100 yards.

Would it be faster to play two sets of tees?
I don't hit it far but I can keep it in the fairway to speed up play.
My miss with a draw off the tee is weak dribbler that is easy to clean up with a 3W.

Plan B is the cheap balls I carry in my bag just in case I don't have my swing that day.

Would it be faster to play two sets of tees?
I don't hit it far but I can keep it in the fairway to speed up play.
My miss with a draw off the tee is weak dribbler that is easy to clean up with a 3W.
One set of tees. We play $$$ games. I may be the eldest of 12 guys by 19 years, but I can still lighten their wallets on a good day. :)

It would seem I Hijacked this Thread to become Back Pain Commiserations. 😀
All this talk about back pain! What does this say about the way we live in this country? Why do so many have this problem? Lack of exercise, or movement? It's not just us old folks that have this problem. Is it the way we sit, or the work we do, or sit in our homes, and sit in our cars? Is it our shoes causing this? So many people are plagued by this! Why? Is it possibly just an inflammation problem, maybe from the foods we consume, or drink? What about our beds? Do we use the best mattresses we can? Or are the mattresses we buy actually good for us? This is like a silent epidemic, with so many having this problem...

All this talk about back pain! What does this say about the way we live in this country? Why do so many have this problem? Lack of exercise, or movement? It's not just us old folks that have this problem. Is it the way we sit, or the work we do, or sit in our homes, and sit in our cars? Is it our shoes causing this? So many people are plagued by this! Why? Is it possibly just an inflammation problem, maybe from the foods we consume, or drink? What about our beds? Do we use the best mattresses we can? Or are the mattresses we buy actually good for us? This is like a silent epidemic, with so many having this problem...
Maybe other countries don't complain as much?....;)

Do you think it’s different anywhere else or during any other era? Is it possible the game of golf simply wreaks havoc on the average person’s back? People are living longer but maybe not healthier overall. Maybe pain killers were better back in the day.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s not much worse than it ever has been in the past. I don’t have numbers to back that up. But we also keep different record and have different standards or descriptions than we used to (“obesity”, “chronic” are not what they used to be for example). We’re also more aware of things than we used to be because of social media.

"We" have gotten bigger. The seats in Yankee stadium used to be smaller.
My big friends have back issues.
If you are small like I am the same materials have significantly less forces imposed on them.

I learned how to correctly lift stuff when I was very young, so that helped me some.

"We" have gotten bigger. The seats in Yankee stadium used to be smaller.
My big friends have back issues.
If you are small like I am the same materials have significantly less forces imposed on them.

I learned how to correctly lift stuff when I was very young, so that helped me some.
I didn't really want to say anything about this country's obesity issues, but I bet it is a large part of this problem. Golf IS hard on the back, but I feel that the quest for distance is fueling that, as a lot of players want to be like Bryson, and THAT swing, I feel, is a physical detriment that will attack your back eventually. I am a local truck driver(53' tractor/trailer), and the seats in fleet trucks are not the best, even with a lumbar adjustment. And yes, lifting correctly is key to keeping your back safe! I learned that early on in my life. I watch so many young folks on the docks lifting incorrectly, and I try to offer some advice. I too, get a stiff lower back from time to time, but it usually works itself out, with some movement the next day. I do sit too much in the evening after work, and will be correcting this behavior going forward. Warmer temps mean I can get "back" in my garage weight room. Golf season is upon us, so practice is needed, with evening trips to the range.

I think we live longer and we are larger than previous generations. I know my problem is I became a couch Potatoe, use to be very active until I retired for the second time at 65. I still played golf , but mostly on week days. And I put on weight, in the wrong places. It has been a slow process to change this, but I'm working on it.

The guys who carry USGA caps wont do that.
Why? When you input to GHIN, you can make adjustments to rating and slope as defined in Appendix G of the handicap manual.

I
N my case forgot I was 64 at time. Multi moves from Apt to Apt, then to a House. Then I decided to remove small Tree Stump in frt Yard. Some people never learn

If it is Stony Creek, play the White/Gold Blend. 6,087 yards. A number of Metro Park courses have created blended tees (Kensington, Stony Creek). A few more should.

I play Hudson Mills frequently. Their par 71 "White" is 6,339. Too many of their par-4 holes are 400+ yards for my taste. I created my own blend. Gold on 1,5,9,11,15 and White on the balance of the holes. Comes out to about 6,040 yards. I adjust the rating & slope using Appendix G to 69.2/115 (vs. 70.5/118). The Gold tees are 5,606, a bit too short.

Last edited:
We usually play the whites @ 6485 yards.
I could play that yardage, but I'd be hitting a lot more fairway woods than irons. If you can still scoot it out there, props to you. But if not (19 years is a lot when you get up to our ages), they should have no problem with you playing the next set of tees up. I occasionally play in something similar, and no one has a problem with me playing the senior tees.

Why? When you input to GHIN, you can make adjustments to rating and slope as defined in Appendix G of the handicap manual.
PITA when you have to adjust for holes from different ratings and slopes on the same round. So they say. I quit feeding the USGA beast a while ago. Equipment rule decisions driven by the equipment industry wanting us to emulate the pros is just one example of why.

I played OK on the front. My lack of sleep caught up with me on the back. I was really loving the lower flying hybrids in todays wind. Hit four greens from 181 out to 222 with the Paradigm 6 and G 425 4 hybrids. That would have been a challenge with the high flying 9 and 7 woods.

You only have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out! 🤓

Back